• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grade 49ers 2nd Day Draft Only:

Grade 49ers 2nd Day Draft:

• A

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • B

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • C

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • D

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I haven't read anything on Lattimore's injuries not recovering. Is there a source on that or something?

Lattimore has question marks. Gore is getting old. So get a RB as an insurance policy and then let competition sort them out.

49ers' back won't let shredded knee halt NFL dream - San Jose Mercury News

Lattimore concedes that he still lacks the first-step burst, the explosiveness through the hole, that once helped him rush for 1,197 yards with 17 rushing touchdowns as a freshman at South Carolina. Lattimore suspects that part won't come back until he's on the field again and gets the adrenaline boost that comes from being chased by a defender.

That's the quote people have been talking about. I'm sure he's almost recovered physically. Now, it's about the next phase of his comeback.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't read anything on Lattimore's injuries not recovering. Is there a source on that or something?

Lattimore has question marks. Gore is getting old. So get a RB as an insurance policy and then let competition sort them out.

Very well could be. Hyde was certainly the best RB in the draft.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hearing Baalke talk about it, it sounds like the value was just too good on Hyde. You have to wonder what it means for Lattimore, but I'm hoping his career isn't done before it's even started. From what I've seen, I really like the kid.

Baalke liked Hyde a lot. He was BPA not their board. Had him as a 1st rd talent. So he drafted him. Just sucks that we draft a RB every year. Hyde is very talented just won't see the field until next year. As of right now he is 4th on the Depth chart. Its going to be tough to find him carries unless there is an injury. Good future pick.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So my thoughts on day two:

Overall I really like the day. We got arguably the best RB, OC, and second-best ILB, as well as a guy who could have been one of the top guards if healthy. Baalke worked the draft board very well to stock up on extra picks, particularly landing that extra 4th rounder to move back one spot.

Things I don't like: the Hyde pick, not at all for the player/pick, but because of what it may represent for Lattimore. I don't love the Borland pick, but he's just one of those guys you have to root for, and I've got to think he'll find a way to have some impact in the NFL. I don't understand all the trading back. What are we going to do with all these picks? I would have loved to have gotten Moncrief and/or Archer, maybe another DB, and then call it good. Hopefully we can turn some of these into 2014 picks, but I have my doubts.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't believe the Hyde pick was made because they weren't confident in Lattimore bouncing back from injury.

I think what the team would like to do is be able to rotate backs without there being much dropoff.

So my guess is the aim is to have Lattimore as 1A and Hyde as 1B with Hunter being a change of pace kind of back.

And I do believe there is an element of run oriented teams having a tough time resisting adding talented running backs to the roster. The Seahawks last season added Christine Michael despite the fact that Lynch still has a few good seasons left in the tank.

There's just one thing: when has this coaching staff ever rotated guys at any position? We did a Haralson/Aldon rotation, but that wasn't even really a rotation. They basically just played different positions in different packages. We did a bit more rotating on the DL this year, but I don't get the sense that was entirely by choice. Other than that, I can't really think of us rotating at all.

I've been calling for Hunter to get more reps for years now, and his number of touches has actually steadily declined, even with the injury last year he had one more touch than this year. We should be able to do some creative stuff with our backs this year, but I don't know that I trust the coaching staff to do so.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Baalke liked Hyde a lot. He was BPA not their board. Had him as a 1st rd talent. So he drafted him. Just sucks that we draft a RB every year. Hyde is very talented just won't see the field until next year. As of right now he is 4th on the Depth chart. Its going to be tough to find him carries unless there is an injury. Good future pick.

There is almost no way that Hyde will be 4th on the depth chart. And if he is, then our 2-4 guys are grouped tightly. As of right now, I'd say Hyde probably has the edge for the #2 spot, at least until/unless Lattimore can prove otherwise.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
There's just one thing: when has this coaching staff ever rotated guys at any position? We did a Haralson/Aldon rotation, but that wasn't even really a rotation. They basically just played different positions in different packages. We did a bit more rotating on the DL this year, but I don't get the sense that was entirely by choice. Other than that, I can't really think of us rotating at all.

I've been calling for Hunter to get more reps for years now, and his number of touches has actually steadily declined, even with the injury last year he had one more touch than this year. We should be able to do some creative stuff with our backs this year, but I don't know that I trust the coaching staff to do so.

The primary reason I believe we didn't rotate at RB is Gore is just so good between the tackles and with pass blocking it was hard to take him off the field. Also it just never seemed like the 9ers were high on Hunter running between the tackles and it seems like they mainly used him off tackle.

Also Baalke himself said they wanted to get away from just one running back carrying the load so I believe they do want more rotation at the position.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 1-2 punch with Gore and Hyde is gonna be brutal on opposing defenses, I think eventually Hyde will replace Gore and Letimore will be the change of pace back (given his knee hold up and he ca be productive) I love the Hyde pick cant wait to see him playing.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The primary reason I believe we didn't rotate at RB is Gore is just so good between the tackles and with pass blocking it was hard to take him off the field. Also it just never seemed like the 9ers were high on Hunter running between the tackles and it seems like they mainly used him off tackle.

Also Baalke himself said they wanted to get away from just one running back carrying the load so I believe they do want more rotation at the position.

I agree. Gore and Hunter are entering the final year of their contracts, LaMichael James is a bust, so drafting Hyde was sort of a no brainer. I am excited about the combo of Lattimore and Hyde. Lattimore still has all 4 years on his contract.