• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goodell: Gays will be accepted, not tolerated!

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell on gay players in NFL: It will be accepted, not just tolerated - CBSSports.com

I get thought but it's a slippery slope when you try to legislature feelings and beliefs. And how about fans? Those Philly fans are very understanding and appreciate opposing players! Hell they chucked snowballs at Santa Claus!

The NFL is going to muffle players right of expressing their beliefs? I guess freedom of expression will be trumped by gay rights! Not that I was a big believer in what Tebow did but I don't remember any strong language from the Goodell's office on religious expression!

Football is a mans sport of six packs and barbecues. Of off color language and the bigger the hit the better!

Footbal is not...IMO...political correct arena that should be catering to the Oprah Winfrey crowd!

Maybe the don't ask....and don't tell policy is the best practice!

Whats next covering up the cheerleaders? Outlawing face painting as it's offensive to native Americans?

Please just leave my sport alone! I feel no need to heckle a gay athlete because they are gay but I reserve the right to heckle, jeer, and boo an opposing athlete regardless of what they do if I approve or not. And it is only a short leap before we as fans can't even do that for fear of being ejected as homophobes!:2cents:

Just my quarterly rant my apologies!

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do Chris Kluwe and Ayanbadejo have jobs right now? Jason Collins get signed yet? The NFL owners will determine how all of this unfolds, and nobody else imo. As long as the media continue to make a sideshow circus out gay people, you won't see any players of any relevance coming out of the closest in any major sport.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you won't see any players of any relevance coming out of the closest in any major sport.

My point is who cares? Stop acting like everyone deserves to be in a protected class! If Kluwe and Collins want to champion gay rights fine but if people don't like it, don't force them to be quiet. If Tebow comes out and says being gay is wrong and it goes against everything he believes in he would be crucified! But IMO he has just as much right about his opinion as Kluwe.

In the end keep the sport separate from the soap boxes! That goes for Kluwe as well as Tebow. Going to a football game or cheering is not a political statement or an opinion of social tolerance.

Stop telling people how they should feel or what they should believe in. And football is a common ground where a 1% earner has the same common ground as the 47% that wouldn't vote for Romney. A gay guy from Birmingham gets to cheer just as loud as the metrosexual from Royal Oak. It's when you try to use the sport as a spring board for your social issue you lose me!

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya I agree with you who cares. I just mean it doesn't matter how Goodell paints it, imo NFL owners and players won't be dictated by the media agenda.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The world of sports today is built around winning. If you can play, regardless of who you are fucking after, you will have a job in sports. If Rodgers, Brady, AP, or CJ "came out" they would be welcomed by every team and fan of whatever team they wanted. It is a different for players like Jason Collins, because he was likely not getting resigned or finding a team. Now, a team may for the positive publicity.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole thing is the media trying to do what they do and drum up ratings.

The average fan could give a shit less. If someone on our team came out and said he was gay my response would be "Meh." because I don't much care one way or the other. If he can play, great treat him the same as everyone else. If he can't, then cut him like everyone else.

The media really sucks with the way they spin non-issues into big stories for the casual NFL fan. Women and pussies care about who's gay, what a bad guy Suh is, why the Redskins need to change their name, etc... because that's what the media is serving up. The rest of us men just want to focus on football on Sundays, Monday night and the occasional Thursday.

I don't know about you guys, but I couldn't give two fucks about a player's sexual orientation. I think you may be reading too much into this accepted vs. tolerated thing, though. I think that was aimed more at the owners and players to clarify the league's stance on the matter. Goodell can't police the fans, we pay his salary...

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care about whether a player is gay or not, but goodell has to say that. Any evidence of a gay player being discriminated against would be a huge lawsuit, even if you don't care about the politics.

I personally think regardless they should be protected from gay slurs because judging someone for who they have sex with is dumb, but either way, it needed to be clear from a legal perspective IMO.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gives a damn? If a gay guy likes to watch football and hang out with the guys, big fuckin deal. If my team had an amazing QB that led us to the Super Bowl, I could care less who he's sleeping with. It isn't like they're turning the game into a gay rights parade or something. Making it a focus, regardless of which side of the issue you're on, is what will make this into a problem. If a player is straight, cool. If he's gay, cool. I'd rather have a Pro Bowl gay player than a shitty straight one. God knows the Browns have had enough of those.

Vader

Not Quite Evil Enough
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
am I really the only fan who truly believes that most NFL players won't be as accepting of a gay teammate as the media and the NFL brass want everyone to believe. it was only a matter of a few years ago where a player who was with, what I believe was the Vikings, had retired and then said he was gay. I can't remember what his name was nor can I remember the former teammate of his that said openly had he known that he believed the gay player would have been injured quickly and that the team would not have tolerated in their locker room. I don't think the acceptance of homosexuality has advanced that far, especially in an NFL locker room. is it really that far of a stretch for people to understand or believe to have a teammate who is sexually attracted to men might be an issue for some players who are sharing a locker room of all places with him. I don't think it makes me a homophobe to say that I don't think I would be particularly comfortable with that.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It only took 500 years for the world to understand that we are not the center of the universe yet Galileo was persecuted and sentenced to house arrest for that crazy idea......

They use to believe the Earth was flat and sailing across the ocean you would simply fall off...

These were the leaders hundreds of years ago.....Great minds eh.....Goddell is no different......Billion dollar backing 10 cent head.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins do need to change their name. Preferably to a Jewish, Mexican or Asian slur. Native American put downs are sooooo 20th century.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins do need to change their name. Preferably to a Jewish, Mexican or Asian slur. Native American put downs are sooooo 20th century.

I grew up in society as a kid when saying "Oriental" was the norm.....Now its considered offensive and have to say Asian American......Same way with saying Black.....I grew up saying Black, now I'm a racist because I don't say African American......

Fuck it.......If I ever get called white again I'm going to the .........Wait, would group would I go too if I was offended by being called white and not Caucasion American......

Caucasion americans don't have a group we can go to too complain do we? Why is that?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the Washington Thugs, in honor of our great leaders?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Klue lost or will lose a job because of performance... and thats it

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I also don't care what nationality, religion, race, life style said player chooses to live, if they can help a team win I am all for allowing them to play.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone want to help me fund a "United Caucasion College Fund?"

The money you donate will fund the lawyers we need to pay off to keep the ACLU and NCAAP off our ass.

sooner78wakeboard

Sooner Born, Sooner Bred
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO....the push for acceptance for gays is by the sports media. There are perhaps some owners that will make public apperences saying congratulations or promoting it. Which is fine, I understand....everyone want to be equal or whatever.

But, the thing I think about is...the players. I don't know about you guys but I am sure if you have done any kind of work in the inner-city, ghetto's or neighborhoods were many of the players come from you know what I am talking about. You try coming out...and you will get your ass beat or killed. Think about the environment the players grew up in, do you think it was a nice, open minded society, with white picket fences. Nope, sorry.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO....the push for acceptance for gays is by the sports media. There are perhaps some owners that will make public apperences saying congratulations or promoting it. Which is fine, I understand....everyone want to be equal or whatever.

But, the thing I think about is...the players. I don't know about you guys but I am sure if you have done any kind of work in the inner-city, ghetto's or neighborhoods were many of the players come from you know what I am talking about. You try coming out...and you will get your ass beat or killed. Think about the environment the players grew up in, do you think it was a nice, open minded society, with white picket fences. Nope, sorry.

Agreed. But don't you think 4 years of college at a University with tons of mentors and coaches and guidance counselors could slowly bring them on the right path?

Adults fail these kids not the neighborhood or "Ghetto" A smart kid will follow good leadership, mentors father figures etc etc......

Don't they have to be kinda smart to get into a University?