• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goodbye, Kellen Clemens.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I think we will look at either McCarron,Fales, Brett Smith or Mettenberger (but only if we sign someone like Fitz or Sanchez). I thought we discussed Boyd and he decided he was not accurate enough. I could be wrong. Also the guy I really REALLY want is Garappolo, but we would probably need to use a 2nd rounder on him, so not worth it

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How late are we considering later rounds?
Imo, there aren't many teams in desperate need of a QB as one of their top needs. The top 4 (Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel and Carr) will go in the first and second rounds likely to a team picking in the top 10. From there you have another wave of QBs (Grappolo, Boyd, Mettenberger, McCarron) who will go around Rd 3 with teams targeting them maybe in late rd 2 if there is one that stands out. Fales, Murray and a few others might go around rd5.

Boyd, Mettenberger and McCarron were all completely surrounded with talent in college and have been picked apart. Still, I think they pass the eyeball test more than these later round guys from smaller schools

The value at QB for the Rams will likely be in rd 3 imo. That or 13 if Bortles or Bridgewater slips

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stole this from the 9ers board...

Jimmy Garoppolo - QB - Panthers

Matt Waldman of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio believes Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo has "dramatic" pocket presence problems and would leave him off his draft board entirely if he were a decision-maker.

"Is it impossible for Garappolo to address his pocket presence? Of course not," Waldman wrote. "Have I ever seen it when the issues are this dramatic? Not in recent memory." Waldman believes Garoppolo "sees phantom pressure" and consistently lacks "a clear plan on the field when the initial play doesn't work." The link below provides plenty of damning evidence via film available on YouTube to support Waldman's assessments. Garoppolo has the tools to succeed at the next level, but he needs plenty of work.
Source: Rookie Scouting Portfolio

Mar 11 - 6:58 PM

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, there aren't many teams in desperate need of a QB as one of their top needs. The top 4 (Bortles, Bridgewater, Manziel and Carr) will go in the first and second rounds likely to a team picking in the top 10. From there you have another wave of QBs (Grappolo, Boyd, Mettenberger, McCarron) who will go around Rd 3 with teams targeting them maybe in late rd 2 if there is one that stands out. Fales, Murray and a few others might go around rd5.

Boyd, Mettenberger and McCarron were all completely surrounded with talent in college and have been picked apart. Still, I think they pass the eyeball test more than these later round guys from smaller schools

The value at QB for the Rams will likely be in rd 3 imo. That or 13 if Bortles or Bridgewater slips

Just wanted to be clear because I think of 5th or later by late rounds where some of those guys certainly won't be there.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stole this from the 9ers board...

Jimmy Garoppolo - QB - Panthers

Matt Waldman of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio believes Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo has "dramatic" pocket presence problems and would leave him off his draft board entirely if he were a decision-maker.

"Is it impossible for Garappolo to address his pocket presence? Of course not," Waldman wrote. "Have I ever seen it when the issues are this dramatic? Not in recent memory." Waldman believes Garoppolo "sees phantom pressure" and consistently lacks "a clear plan on the field when the initial play doesn't work." The link below provides plenty of damning evidence via film available on YouTube to support Waldman's assessments. Garoppolo has the tools to succeed at the next level, but he needs plenty of work.
Source: Rookie Scouting Portfolio

Mar 11 - 6:58 PM
He has Gabbert-itis? Sounds bad.

Im watching draftbreakdown footage right now and Mettenberger is a lot better than McCarron. Boyd is a mess but you see talent there. Im on the Mettenberger bandwagon

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has Gabbert-itis? Sounds bad.

Im watching draftbreakdown footage right now and Mettenberger is a lot better than McCarron. Boyd is a mess but you see talent there. Im on the Mettenberger bandwagon

links good man links D:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Mettenberger alot and he could take some time as the number three QB and develop. I think it would be a great value pick in the later rounds.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just like Mettenberger's hutzpah and his arm. The rest he can learn as the third QB.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Murry is a very good SEC QB who got more hype as a freshmen and sophmore than he did in his jr and sr years. I think theres an injury but the combination of the injury and the fact that he is "undersized" (6 foot). Playing 4 years vs Florida, South Carolina, LSU, and Alabama (among the others) he played exclusively against elite talent and while he never brought he Bulldogs to a National Championship they were a good team. And this is a Florida fan vouching for a Georgia player. He might be worth that late round pick and we can develop him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey if we were to draft Sammy Watkins, don't be surprised if we have an eye on Tajh Boyd in the fifth round!

Kind of like that duo of Austin and Bailey!

Breaking Down Tajh Boyd and His 2014 NFL Draft Prospects | Bleacher Report

How about his brother Jaylen Watkins (CB/S, Florida). Could be a valuable addition for depth, able to play corner and FS, but could use more strength. Third round maybe?

Rob Rang: Watkins possesses a lean, athletic build more suited to cornerback. He's a willing hitter, however, with good vision and closing ability, making it likely that he'll be able to successfully handle the transition to safety. The willingness to change positions during his senior season is a good indication of Watkins' selflessness and maturity.

Jaylen had a good senior bowl week as well.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB depends on how long the Rams wait really. If they want late picks, they could look at Tom Savage (Pitt), Jeff Matthews (Cornell), and Keith Wenning (Ball State). They are all more "NFL pocket passer" types, depending on which direction the Rams are looking to go.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boyd is getting torn apart by scouts and all up in his own head. Give him the clipboard, draft him late because he's dropped and let him learn. He was very good for Clemson and put up silly numbers in college. He's not as smart as Russell Wilson, but he's got alot of similar tools AND go look how many INTs he had, especially late in games or in the red zone.

Again, we can't just forget about the numbers a guy puts up in college and focus entirely on arm motion, etc. Remember Alshon Jeffrey and others stock that fell because of "experts" so called evaluations.

But there are plenty of QB's with talent that will be there from 3-5 rounds.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No hype, this is what I know:

David Carr is the guy I would like to see drop and steal in the 3rd round. he's got quickness and a good arm.

Mettenberger has the arm, but has knee issues and is a pocket QB.

Murray - no thanks he's got hardly any arm strenth and is undersized. See Jimmy Claussen 2.0

McCarron - interesting.. his stock is going up, but it's hard to evaluate him when he had so much talent around him. If we get him, the 3rd or 4th round is where I hope we do. But someone may reach in the 2nd and that's fine.

EIU kid needs work in the pocket and behind center. He ran a spread O his entire career and he doesn't have good speed.

Connor Shaw is a kid that going to be interesting to watch. Not sure about his arm strenth either, but he's pretty fast and tough. If he's got an arm, he could be Brees like.

Logan Thomas has good speed and a big arm. Decision making is an entirely different matter.

David Fales - He's been dropping, not alot of speed, and I'm not sure about his arm.

Stephen Morris - another big arm with above average speed and questions regarding decision making.

Taylor Martinez - ran a 4.42. Ran the option in college and has a decent arm.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boyd is getting torn apart by scouts and all up in his own head. Give him the clipboard, draft him late because he's dropped and let him learn. He was very good for Clemson and put up silly numbers in college. He's not as smart as Russell Wilson, but he's got alot of similar tools AND go look how many INTs he had, especially late in games or in the red zone.

Again, we can't just forget about the numbers a guy puts up in college and focus entirely on arm motion, etc. Remember Alshon Jeffrey and others stock that fell because of "experts" so called evaluations.

But there are plenty of QB's with talent that will be there from 3-5 rounds.
We are going to have to address the QB issue sooner or later. This draft is deep lets take someone in the later rounds we can groom. And if Sam goes down during the season we can put him in and let him have his trial by fire. These stop gap journeymen are not the way to go long run. Although nothing wrong with some experience to guide the youth.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We definitely need to draft a QB sooner rather than later. Donald Duck would have been an improvement over Clementine last year, and only marginally inferior to wennie boy.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitz was just let go by the Titans. Could be an easy fit (and definite upgrade over Clemens).

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarron - interesting.. his stock is going up, but it's hard to evaluate him when he had so much talent around him. If we get him, the 3rd or 4th round is where I hope we do. But someone may reach in the 2nd and that's fine.
Imo, its pretty easy to evaluate him. He isnt very good. Boyd, Mettenberger and Manziel had better talent around them this year, though