• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Golf's Big 4...

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golf...I mentioned names, but my point is not really player specific, noting the depth...of the guys that make the cut the pool of legit contenders was probably 10 deep in Jack's era...today, it might be 25+.

I agree with the overall depth, but I believe it was just as tough to win in Jack's day as it is now. Reasons? Money. I can't specifically point out guys, but guaranteed there are guys who really are just looking for a cheque. You don't have to win nowadays - Briny Baird - and he's made $13 million on the course. In Jack's era, you really had to win/go for wins or your days were short on the PGA circuit. Also, while there are more good players today, I don't know if there are as many great players. Truly great ones.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the overall depth, but I believe it was just as tough to win in Jack's day as it is now. Reasons? Money. I can't specifically point out guys, but guaranteed there are guys who really are just looking for a cheque. You don't have to win nowadays - Briny Baird - and he's made $13 million on the course. In Jack's era, you really had to win/go for wins or your days were short on the PGA circuit. Also, while there are more good players today, I don't know if there are as many great players. Truly great ones.

I was referring to majors really, but absolutely...the tour purses are so large now that if you have 3 or 4 top 10s your card is secured...I think it started with Norman's era, but purses really leaped in the Tiger era. And imo it's the reason none of these young stars today will sustain greatness...just too much cash on the course and even more off than ever before....I'd be really surprised if any of them top 10.

To your point in bold, again referring to majors...in Jack's era...say 30 yrs...seemingly 10 guys racked up all the majors so yes, they stand out from the rest...whereas as this era you have great players like Ernie Els with 3 or 4 majors.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say the best foe that Tiger had was Phil, and he has 'only' 5 majors. I say 'only' because 1.) Jacks best completion in Trevino/Player/Watson were bagging 6/9/8 majors, and there were others who got 3 or 4 in the same timeframe, and 2.) Mickelson should've won more. He's probably one of the top 15 players of all time, and if he wouldn't have pissed away the US Open the way he did a couple of times, he'd be a lock for Top 10 all time.

I think Rory recently said something about the Fed Ex/$10 million payout - about how the money didn't mean much. I don't know if it was whether he means he's solely about tournaments/majors/legacy or if he's made so much cash that $10 mil is 'nothing' to him. To me McIlroy is certainly one of the guys who is after history.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say the best foe that Tiger had was Phil, and he has 'only' 5 majors. I say 'only' because 1.) Jacks best completion in Trevino/Player/Watson were bagging 6/9/8 majors, and there were others who got 3 or 4 in the same timeframe, and 2.) Mickelson should've won more. He's probably one of the top 15 players of all time, and if he wouldn't have pissed away the US Open the way he did a couple of times, he'd be a lock for Top 10 all time.

I think Rory recently said something about the Fed Ex/$10 million payout - about how the money didn't mean much. I don't know if it was whether he means he's solely about tournaments/majors/legacy or if he's made so much cash that $10 mil is 'nothing' to him. To me McIlroy is certainly one of the guys who is after history.

Rory...we kind of expect them to say that. He could be 100% genuine with his comment, but it's human nature not to bust it as hard once you've climbed the mountain and enjoy the spoils....Spieth also seems to be driven by more than cash...like it or not...this is the future of golf.

Last edited:

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rory...we kind of expect them to say that. He could be 100% genuine with his comment, but it's human nature not to bust it as hard once you've climbed the mountain and enjoy the spoils....Spieth also seems to be driven by more than cash...like it or not...this is the future of golf.

I think McIlroy's comments are directly connected to his 1/4 Billion dollar payday from Nike. Rory and Spieth are in it for history - No question about it AFAIC. In the end, perhaps it might break kinda even with Jack's era. Back then, you had guys who were more about striving to be the best, while making money to stay alive. Today, the depth is so great so while the percentages of 'great' players may not be equal, you'll still see roughly the same amount of guys who want trophies and not paycheques.

Looking forward to the WGC next month.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think McIlroy's comments are directly connected to his 1/4 Billion dollar payday from Nike. Rory and Spieth are in it for history - No question about it AFAIC. In the end, perhaps it might break kinda even with Jack's era. Back then, you had guys who were more about striving to be the best, while making money to stay alive. Today, the depth is so great so while the percentages of 'great' players may not be equal, you'll still see roughly the same amount of guys who want trophies and not paycheques.

Looking forward to the WGC next month.

The Nike cash clearly gave Tiger a different prospective coming onto tour...I know about the records he kept of Jack's etc. but the reality is he didn't to have to worry about paying bills...where he finished if not 1st had little meaning...he was free to chase records & titles. Tiger targeted 18 and flamed out @14...pretty good effort imo...most guys don't put a number on majors...at least not publicly.

Agreed...the money has change it so much that it clearly is about the money now and I don't blame them...if you're good enough and everything lines up any number of guys can win and it's like the lottery.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nike cash clearly gave Tiger a different prospective coming onto tour...I know about the records he kept of Jack's etc. but the reality is he didn't to have to worry about paying bills...where he finished if not 1st had little meaning...he was free to chase records & titles. Tiger targeted 18 and flamed out @14...pretty good effort imo...most guys don't put a number on majors...at least not publicly.

Agreed...the money has change it so much that it clearly is about the money now and I don't blame them...if you're good enough and everything lines up any number of guys can win and it's like the lottery.

I never liked Woods but beyond his physical and mental advantage was his absolute obsession with being #1 and winning - and that's why he totally dominated. You rarely ever see a guy who gets home on a long par 5 in two, and still be pissed off because his ball ended up on the green 30 feet from the cup. Everybody else prays for that shot, but Tiger is dropping F bombs up the fairway till he marks it off. It was first or last.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never liked Woods but beyond his physical and mental advantage was his absolute obsession with being #1 and winning - and that's why he totally dominated. You rarely ever see a guy who gets home on a long par 5 in two, and still be pissed off because his ball ended up on the green 30 feet from the cup. Everybody else prays for that shot, but Tiger is dropping F bombs up the fairway till he marks it off. It was first or last.

I'm not a golf fan the same way I am with team sports...meaning I don't root for or against any player except the PC/RC...I liked Woods game and what he brought to the tour...the Tommy Bolt-like on course stuff never bothered me, but as a person I think Tiger has earned the dislike.

The point of bringing him up was the Nike contract allowed him to focus solely on chasing his dreams of winning golf tournaments, winning trophies. The tournament prize money was really just the cherry on top for him...the money had a totally different effect on Michelle Wie...not sure she was ever hungry enough to tap her full potential...now Rory and Spieth are in that same situation. Hopefully the competition from the 3 or 4 of them at the top drives the best out of them.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger was in a trance to get to 19 long before he joined the PGA tour, so as you said, money was just a bonus. I believe guys like Spieth and Rory are about history as well. Guys like Charlie Beljan and Pat Perez have come outright and stated that guys play for the money, period...so at least they're honest with it - good for them. It's a job...man's gotta eat.

You hear on the broadcasts of Johnny Miller or Nick Faldo about how some guys 'cost themselves a good payday' with late tournament blunders. Those guys have a good feel about the players on tour, so while of course they aren't gonna say those things when Tiger or Phil or Rory fade fast late Sunday, it isn't simply because their bank accounts are topped off....it's because they are going for wins, and second means nothing.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger was in a trance to get to 19 long before he joined the PGA tour, so as you said, money was just a bonus. I believe guys like Spieth and Rory are about history as well. Guys like Charlie Beljan and Pat Perez have come outright and stated that guys play for the money, period...so at least they're honest with it - good for them. It's a job...man's gotta eat.

You hear on the broadcasts of Johnny Miller or Nick Faldo about how some guys 'cost themselves a good payday' with late tournament blunders. Those guys have a good feel about the players on tour, so while of course they aren't gonna say those things when Tiger or Phil or Rory fade fast late Sunday, it isn't simply because their bank accounts are topped off....it's because they are going for wins, and second means nothing.

WGC...great timing with our talk of tour depth...not a major, but with all of the big names there...Russell Knox...gets his 1st tour win and if he didn't win it...Kisner would have...idt he's ever won either.

Both Rory and Spieth imo seem to have that drive to push each other...they a long way to go to really get into any serious historical conversation...but I'm ready for the next major already.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same problem with this years Presidents Cup....on the other side of the world so it was hard to watch a lot of it live, but it is a big event and most of the worlds best were there. Kisner has never won, but I think he was 2nd on two or three occasions this season (The Players?)