• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going into this season

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think the 49ers window is remaining to be legitimate super bowl contenders? And let's assume that either Hyde and/or Lattimore are good replacements for Gore, Tank will be a good replacement for Smith on the DLine, that we re sign Iupati, and Eric Reid and Jimmy Ward turns into a good nickel CB. All optimistic assumptions, but I don't want to get sidetracked by arguing whether people are going to pan out or not, let's assume they do -- what is your feeling then?

I would say about 3 more years, then some of the other pieces will be aging and hard to replace.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Depends on Kaepernick really.

We've seen teams with top 5 QBs be able to consistently keep themselves in the mix so if Kaepernick develops into a top 5 QB the window will be open for a while.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What do you guys think the 49ers window is remaining to be legitimate super bowl contenders? And let's assume that either Hyde and/or Lattimore are good replacements for Gore, Tank will be a good replacement for Smith on the DLine, that we re sign Iupati, and Eric Reid and Jimmy Ward turns into a good nickel CB. All optimistic assumptions, but I don't want to get sidetracked by arguing whether people are going to pan out or not, let's assume they do -- what is your feeling then?

I would say about 3 more years, then some of the other pieces will be aging and hard to replace.

obviously, it depends mainly on Kaep's improvement? he was never a top flight passer in college and so far neither in the NFL (to date). we'd all expect he'll improve some but how much?

assuming Kaep plays the same, we might squeeze out two years cause the TEAM is still good. speaking of team and next two years, its more about the defense than offense. even if Tank ably replaces Justin, McDonald, Brooks, and Willis are all 'getting up there' already. are the CB's going to hold up, will we be able to add a quality one next season?

IMO the offense will be fine for the next two years. at worse case they do the 'same' as now, and we know this will gets us to the SB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Depends on Kaepernick really.

We've seen teams with top 5 QBs be able to consistently keep themselves in the mix so if Kaepernick develops into a top 5 QB the window will be open for a while.

while I sure hope he does, realistically don't think he reaches top 5? cause this requires his passing ability - mainly 'red zone' range - to rise quite a bit more. with his strong arm, his strength is winging it downfield, but without the red zone ability, he won't become top 5.

the top 5 are mainly determined by passing ability, so while his running IS good, "running" won't push him high enough.

not complaining he's top 6 or top 7, just don't think his passing skills (consistently) will improve "leaps and bounds".

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a 5 year window right now.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel our window is closing soon... I say this bcuz down the road(seasons) more n more players on this team will be more Harbaalke than they were prior... I would say a lot of our current "core players" are getting older and their impact on the game will eventually decline... so I think shop is closing soon, especially when the current younger core guys will want their payday...

Its on our new franchise QB to get it done... we'll still be competitive but SB aspirations, IDK.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hard to say at this point. It really depends on how the draft picks from the past couple of years pan out. If those players pan out well, I can see the window staying open. If not, then the team could be in trouble in a couple of years. I don't think any team is guaranteed a long term future in the modern day NFL because of free agency and the salary cap. There is always going to be turnover so it comes down to good drafting and decisions regarding free agency.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
At this point, they have a 2-year window since Harbaugh's contract only runs through 2015.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends how they draft. if they draft well, they can replace guys who decline. Kaep has to step up. I will let you know when I see the offense this season. Kaep must play better, but the coaches also need to do a better job. Aldon needs to stop drinking and a young WR has to emerge.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say 2 years as it is right now. In 2016 the team is going to have 30+ million tied up in Kaepernick and Staley alone, let alone how much money they'll give out in new contracts to any number of players like Crabtree, Iupati, Davis, Boone, or whomever the front office is determined to keep in the red and gold.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say 2 years as it is right now. In 2016 the team is going to have 30+ million tied up in Kaepernick and Staley alone, let alone how much money they'll give out in new contracts to any number of players like Crabtree, Iupati, Davis, Boone, or whomever the front office is determined to keep in the red and gold.

Kaep's deal is only guaranteed for injury, and filled with escalators and performance incentives. If Kaep gets that much money, that means he's earned it. Which mean we have a franchise QB and our window just got that much bigger.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is our last year, but I think we'll win it this time.

I really hope VD and Crabtree don't get the money they're looking for, then maybe we can talk about going back to the SB. Good thing Kaep didn't bet on himself winning a SB or things could have been far worse after we do

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got a good 5 year window. We are a young team and have great coaches. I don't see the window closing. We might turn into the new Pats(with out all those super bowls). This team will be good for awhile. Old players leaving: Gore and Justin Smith coming in Hyde and Latt, lemon and tank. We will be fine. As long as we have that Oline and Kap at QB we will be good.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We got a good 5 year window. We are a young team and have great coaches. I don't see the window closing. We might turn into the new Pats(with out all those super bowls). This team will be good for awhile. Old players leaving: Gore and Justin Smith coming in Hyde and Latt, lemon and tank. We will be fine. As long as we have that Oline and Kap at QB we will be good.

yes, if you have a franchise QB, you can stretch the window a little bit longer. so yeah, as long as Kap becomes a franchise QB. he isn't one yet.

does APPEAR the O-line will be ok, even if Iupati and Boone leave. Baalke has already added talent in the two Martin's, and Brandon Thomas. it might not be as good as it is now, but they'll be ok.