• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard that Meyer, Trimble, and Rogers are definitely worthy. That the ONLY reason why Trimble isn't already a starter at Whip was that RVD has tremendous potential of being something special there. Also heard that (although not superstars) Byrn and DiNardo have held their own and will get some time. Either way..if they have worked very hard and have shown to be an asset to the team, why not reward them with a schollie for their couple years..especially if one is available.

I saw on twitter that Trimble Meyer and I think DiNardo got their schollies. I know Rodgers gets his starting in January.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a little old, but haven't seen this posted here, and this is must-watch stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SI.com Crystal Ball

Didn't know where to put this..thought here might be appropriate... I thought this was interesting

From Si.com's Crystal Ball "A bold prediction" snippet...

---the first one from Stew Mandel who despite being a pretty good writer, rarely has anything positive to say about VT (fair or not).

After suffering through a second straight seven-win season, Virginia Tech coaching icon Frank Beamer graciously announces his retirement after 27 seasons, handing the reins to ever-loyal defensive coordinator Bud Foster. :lol:

--and then from Zac Ellis

Thanks largely to Beamer's hiring of Scot Loeffler as offensive coordinator, Virginia Tech quarterback Logan Thomas will rebound from a forgettable 2012 campaign (16 interceptions) and start living up to his potential. The Hokies will vie for the ACC Coastal division as Thomas enters early-round NFL draft conversations.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how you can say Mandel rarely has anything positive to say about VT. He responded to a Mailbag question last week with this:

"I have nothing but the utmost respect for Beamer, his program and all the great players to come through it "

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how you can say Mandel rarely has anything positive to say about VT. He responded to a Mailbag question last week with this:

"I have nothing but the utmost respect for Beamer, his program and all the great players to come through it "

Awww. How sweet. Nice of him to give Frank's book some love.

I wasn't insisting that he didn't have respect for Beamer or how the program was run...every talking head in America would say that. I was just that saying that IMHO, he doesn't respect the program very much from a "football standpoint", not saying that is right or wrong. VT hasn't done a ton over the last few years to warrant anything more than the title of..."a nice program". Until VT starts winning the big ones that perception prolly won't change. He joins the vast (media) majority in feeling that way.

..and it surely doesn't hurt that he loves the SEC and is a total B1G homer...He is a good writer, but should work for ESPN.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just skimmed through Andy Bitter's chat from today. Seems to be a lot of questions already about who plays QB next year. I would think its Leal's job to lose, but Andrew Ford to challenge. It's a damn shame that Leal has gotten next to no work the past couple of seasons.

So is Carlis Parker now a WR and Bucky a TE? I thought Parker had a pretty nice arm and could be a pretty good scrambler from the film I've seen of him. I've also heard that Motley has looked impressive at times.

It seems VT has pulled in several top notch athletes (Parker, Caleb, Motely), but doesn't know what to do with them.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just skimmed through Andy Bitter's chat from today. Seems to be a lot of questions already about who plays QB next year. I would think its Leal's job to lose, but Andrew Ford to challenge. It's a damn shame that Leal has gotten next to no work the past couple of seasons.

So is Carlis Parker now a WR and Bucky a TE? I thought Parker had a pretty nice arm and could be a pretty good scrambler from the film I've seen of him. I've also heard that Motley has looked impressive at times.

It seems VT has pulled in several top notch athletes (Parker, Caleb, Motely), but doesn't know what to do with them.

just looked at Ford's twitter page...hope that is an old photo of him...either that or the camera takes away 80lbs...

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Ford7

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bucky is not a TE. He played TE on the scout team but he is a QB as of now.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that our CB situation next year will be Kendall, Facyson, Riley and a true Freshman. It could be Stroman or Edmunds. I think Clark stays at Safety and maybe nickle back but he could move to corner. I don't know about his speed. We may also see Bonner moved back to CB where he started if there are injury issues. Jarrett will play Rover with Frye behind him. Both Shegog and Fisher have the size and speed to play Whip, Rover or Safety as well and may end up at any of those spots and not surprise me. Reavis fits that mold as well. If I had to peg them though I would put Shegog at Whip, Fisher at safety and Reavis at Rover.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that our CB situation next year will be Kendall, Facyson, Riley and a true Freshman. It could be Stroman or Edmunds. I think Clark stays at Safety and maybe nickle back but he could move to corner. I don't know about his speed. We may also see Bonner moved back to CB where he started if there are injury issues. Jarrett will play Rover with Frye behind him. Both Shegog and Fisher have the size and speed to play Whip, Rover or Safety as well and may end up at any of those spots and not surprise me. Reavis fits that mold as well. If I had to peg them though I would put Shegog at Whip, Fisher at safety and Reavis at Rover.

I'd be pretty worried if I saw either Stroman or Edmunds out on the field (on D) as true freshmen. Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't they both athletes that have played primarily on the offensive side of the ball in HS? Stroman sure looks like a great athlete, if he can learn the position, but that takes time even for a guy who played corner in HS. Edmunds I'm a little more worried about... does he have the necessary speed/quickness?

I don't see Bonner moving back to corner. Guy is the captain of that secondary, and it's hard to get everyone lined up correctly from the edge. Not sure TG would be comfortable with anyone else taking on that role next year, when you've got a proven senior in Bonner that could do it. But I'm not in that meeting room.

I'd love to see a guy with Fisher's size and athleticism at FS. We will see.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. I think that's what sparks was saying with the (S), at least as far as safety goes. I wonder if whip isn't more likely, though. We haven't been able to use the whip much lately because we haven't had the right kind of athlete to put there, but Fisher would sure seem to be a good fit. Has the necessary physicality and coverage ability. And it would get him and Reavis on the field at the same time, if both of those guys pan out like we hope they will, when Jarrett leaves.

I see Chuck Clark as more of a FS, but he may end up playing some CB due to our lack of depth there. As he did some this year, playing the nickel when we had Fuller and Exum out.

We will get RVD back next year at whip also which will help that position a lot.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I THINK (could be wrong) that Shegog is actually a bit bigger and more physical than Fisher at this point. I have heard he is about 7-8 pounds bigger than he is listed (216) and he had a couple of just crunching hits this past spring so if adding M to that F=MA equation translates, damn! If bonner were to move I would think it would only be in an emergency (couple injuries) but at least he and Jarrett have played there before. I think Edmunds has the tools to play and is heady enough to play right away like Kyle did. Stroman may have the better upside but I am not sure how ready he is at corner specifically.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fisher's strengths from what I have been told are him playing CF and going down hill at people, not straight coverage or point of attack per se which is why I see him at FS or Rover more than Whip. Reavis has the build where he could end Ho anywhere from FS to Backer honestly. He is thicker than he looks in his older pictures I have heard (in a good way).

Amen to RVD being back as well. Hopefully those shoulders stay healthy and we can see a lot if him this Spring and all of next fall. His bro may end up starting this fall as well from what I have heard from EGW.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I THINK (could be wrong) that Shegog is actually a bit bigger and more physical than Fisher at this point. I have heard he is about 7-8 pounds bigger than he is listed (216) and he had a couple of just crunching hits this past spring so if adding M to that F=MA equation translates, damn! If bonner were to move I would think it would only be in an emergency (couple injuries) but at least he and Jarrett have played there before. I think Edmunds has the tools to play and is heady enough to play right away like Kyle did. Stroman may have the better upside but I am not sure how ready he is at corner specifically.

Yes, Shegog is bigger and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get a look at whip. Could definitely be a player there.

I haven't seen Edmunds in person, and it's hard to tell from junior highlights. I'm glad to hear you say you think he has the tools.