• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Give your team a grade..

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL...OT specificially...starters established, depth needed...took Wesley Johnson, C 5/173...apparently this guy can play OT or C...not sure what to expect, but if Pouncey is not extended, he could be the starting C in 2015.

Johnson could also be seen as insurance for Adams. We already have 3 to 4 "swing" O-lineman in Pouncey, Wallace, Whimper & Beachum (Whimper & Beachum being the only OT capable/experienced). 8 O-lineman already under contract for 2015 so Johnson is a luxury at this point and provides needed competition. PIT only dresses 7 to 8 O-lineman each game. But like you've stated before though ATL, Gilbert may not be resigned after his contract is up. So Johnson could be seen as a necessity as well. As of right now, I think Johnson & Whimper are in a heads up battle for the 8th spot.

And don't forget about Embernasty! He is likely going to battle Wallace for the inside swing player.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions C-. Only Van Noy projects to a starter at a position of need, and they re-sign Brandon Pettigrew with their remaining cap space only to draft two more TEs to give them 4 on a 53-man roster. The 5th-round pick of Reid looks like a decent rotation guy, and they have a center of the future that they drafted a round too early.

Rams A. Would be A+ except for the overdraft of yet another RB. First 3 picks really, really good, and getting Gaines in the sixth and Sam at the end of the draft could be very good values. If Sam could be a 10-snap-a-game rush DE the Rams are going to get after the QB in the next 2 years.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and the Seahawks won the UDFA race. Jackson Jeffcoat will make a fine situational pass rusher.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals had a very average draft. Filled some holes of need, but made some questionable picks later. C.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson could also be seen as insurance for Adams. We already have 3 to 4 "swing" O-lineman in Pouncey, Wallace, Whimper & Beachum (Whimper & Beachum being the only OT capable/experienced). 8 O-lineman already under contract for 2015 so Johnson is a luxury at this point and provides needed competition. PIT only dresses 7 to 8 O-lineman each game. But like you've stated before though ATL, Gilbert may not be resigned after his contract is up. So Johnson could be seen as a necessity as well. As of right now, I think Johnson & Whimper are in a heads up battle for the 8th spot.

And don't forget about Embernasty! He is likely going to battle Wallace for the inside swing player.

Yeah, it's a bit crowded right now, and I do keep forgetting about Embernasty!

I do expect that either Gilbert or Pouncey won't be re-signed after this year. What was interesting...the teams clapped down on OL early...nearly a dz guys were taken in the 1st two rounds...roughly 1 of every 5 picks yielded an OL.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland - B+

From what I understand, all their picks were solid and all are guys that could make the roster and contribute this year. That's a solid draft. They addressed a bunch of needs plus got a second 1st round pick next year.

However, I don't give them an "A" because they took 0 WRs at all. Maybe they will find a free agent somewhere, but they are super weak at WR (especially since it looks like Josh Gordon is gone for the year).

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's a bit crowded right now, and I do keep forgetting about Embernasty!

I do expect that either Gilbert or Pouncey won't be re-signed after this year. What was interesting...the teams clapped down on OL early...nearly a dz guys were taken in the 1st two rounds...roughly 1 of every 5 picks yielded an OL.

I don't think things look too good for Gilbert since they drafted a tackle. I know they say Johnson can play inside, so it could go either way, but since he has more experience at OT I would think Gilbert sees the writing on the wall. Yea the talent at the O-line position was ridiculous. Everyone talked about how deep the WR & CB positions were, but the O-line had probably the deepest pool out of all 3 positions. OT alone could have been considered the deepest!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons took:
Jake Matthews OT A&M
Ra'Shede Hageman DT Minnesota
Dezmen Southward FS Wisconsin
Devonta Freeman RB FSU
Prince Shembo OLB Notre Dame
Ricardo Allen CB Purdue
Marquis Spruill ILB Syracuse
Yawin Smallwood OLB Connecticut
Tyler Wood OLB South Dakota

I'd say we had a solid B draft. The only pick I don't like is Devonta Freeman. I don't think Atlanta knows how to utilize the small shifty backs.

The fact that Dezmen Southward got drafted that high is looney. Other than that, I think Matthews and Hageman were both solid picks.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Louis Rams... I'd give a "cautiously optimistic" B+.

We got a road-grading G/T in Greg Robinson. Looks like we're starting to get the idea about winning beginning in the trenches, because the next pick was a hard nosed DT in the mold of Ndamukong Suh. If Aaron Donald pans out, we could end up having THE most dominant defensive front in the NFL.

Tre Mason was a surprise pick, to me. But in the 4th round, that kind of production is tough to pass on, considering we don't really have a true change-of-pace RB and especially for a coach who loves to run the ball. I liked EJ Gaines, in the 6th, as well. Fresh legs and less wear-and-tear on Zac Stacy is always a good thing.

Yeah... I was a little disappointed that we didn't land Calvin Pryor, or Ha'Sean Clinton Dix when safety was a glaring position of need. But, at least there's gonna be a ton of competition in the defensive backfield this year. I also thought it would have been a good idea to grab one of the more marquee QBs in the later rounds. Guys like Aaron Murray, Zach Mettenberger and A.J. McCarron were there late. But we did get more O-line and secondary depth. And to cap it all off... the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, for a paltry 7th round price tag. Now that's what I call value. :)

Pretty gay pick if you ask me. :whistle:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons took:
Jake Matthews OT A&M
Ra'Shede Hageman DT Minnesota
Dezmen Southward FS Wisconsin
Devonta Freeman RB FSU
Prince Shembo OLB Notre Dame
Ricardo Allen CB Purdue
Marquis Spruill ILB Syracuse
Yawin Smallwood OLB Connecticut
Tyler Wood OLB South Dakota

I'd say we had a solid B draft. The only pick I don't like is Devonta Freeman. I don't think Atlanta knows how to utilize the small shifty backs.

2 starters...if that happens and no one else pans out that's still a B+ imo. The LB core was thin, he made a concerted effort to replenish...I can see a transition to a 3-4 in the future if one of those LBs turns out to be an edge rusher...I guy I thought TD would take a run at was Michael Sam...seemed like a good fit for the Falcons.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland - B+

From what I understand, all their picks were solid and all are guys that could make the roster and contribute this year. That's a solid draft. They addressed a bunch of needs plus got a second 1st round pick next year.

However, I don't give them an "A" because they took 0 WRs at all. Maybe they will find a free agent somewhere, but they are super weak at WR (especially since it looks like Josh Gordon is gone for the year).

I'm not a believer in Manziel so I think A is off the board right now, but moving down with BUF and still ending up with the #1 rated CB plus a 1st/4rd rounder 2015...that was the strongest move of the draft.

Now come the problems...They had to know something was about to happen with Gordon...I can't help but note, the Browns went from having potentially (had they taken Watkins or Evans) one of the best young WR/TE combos in the league to being nearly bare @ WR...Johnny's start seems be effected by the CLE jinx!

Forgetting about Manziel for a second...With Hoyer/Gordon/Cameron/Rookie WR to complement a stout DEF and the Browns could have been on their way I think...now, maybe picking top 10 again next year, possibly twice....we shall see

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a believer in Manziel so I think A is off the board right now, but moving down with BUF and still ending up with the #1 rated CB plus a 1st/4rd rounder 2015...that was the strongest move of the draft.

Now come the problems...They had to know something was about to happen with Gordon...I can't help but note, the Browns went from having potentially (had they taken Watkins or Evans) one of the best young WR/TE combos in the league to being nearly bare @ WR...Johnny's start seems be effected by the CLE jinx!

Forgetting about Manziel for a second...With Hoyer/Gordon/Cameron/Rookie WR to complement a stout DEF and the Browns could have been on their way I think...now, maybe picking top 10 again next year, possibly twice....we shall see

To me the Browns stayed true to their own board. Okay yes they have two veteran WR's with issues, but they aren't pushing the panic button, and it's not like there isn't gonna be WR's released during camps, they can find a cheap solution for Gordon and they will continue to get better....

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Dezmen Southward got drafted that high is looney. Other than that, I think Matthews and Hageman were both solid picks.
You're the second Badger fan to say that. I'm a bit worried about him now. Lets hope he ends up being a better pro than a college player. I was a bit surprised by the Hageman pick but Atlanta could use more talent in the trenches. From what I've read they say he is a stellar athlete who is a bit raw talent-wise. Hopefully our veterans can help him evolve his game.
2 starters...if that happens and no one else pans out that's still a B+ imo. The LB core was thin, he made a concerted effort to replenish...I can see a transition to a 3-4 in the future if one of those LBs turns out to be an edge rusher...One guy I thought TD would take a run at was Michael Sam...seemed like a good fit for the Falcons.

We could have easily drafted Sam considering how late he went. I agree the LB core was thin (especially talent-wise). I would have been happier going with a TE over RB in that 4th spot though. Jake Matthews should be a starter day 1. Even if Hageman isn't a starter right off the bat he'll be an asset in the long-run.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started off at C-, ended at A-. I approve.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me the Browns stayed true to their own board. Okay yes they have two veteran WR's with issues, but they aren't pushing the panic button, and it's not like there isn't gonna be WR's released during camps, they can find a cheap solution for Gordon and they will continue to get better....

I don't see the Browns every week so I can't say I really know the make up of their board. Just going off the eye test, imo with Gordon and Cameron, (Little is a 3rd WR) they were a QB and a decent RB away from being a playoff caliber.

That said...panic or no panic, this was a serious blow and it would be to any team really. There are no WRs not currently UC that come close to Gordon's production. Even without the Gordon suspension looming, Little is a strike away from time in the corner also as you've alluded to...not addressing WR at all in the draft just seems amiss.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could have easily drafted Sam considering how late he went. I agree the LB core was thin (especially talent-wise). I would have been happier going with a TE over RB in that 4th spot though. Jake Matthews should be a starter day 1. Even if Hageman isn't a starter right off the bat he'll be an asset in the long-run.

They're all just opinions, but sportstalk radio had Leadbetter (Falcon beat writer) on today getting his view of the draft...he was complementary of the RB pick, thinks he will have an impact this year...(Davis or Snelling could be in some trouble).

He was so-so on the Hageman pick, but he feels the reason they didn't go after Ealy was they are likely transitioning to a 3-4 or at worst they will play a mixture of 4 man and 3 man front. Hageman can play the DE spot in a 3-4 or the DT spot in a 4 man line. In a word, "versatile" was the word he used.

He was especially critical of the S in the 3rd round...

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're all just opinions, but sportstalk radio had Leadbetter (Falcon beat writer) on today getting his view of the draft...he was complementary of the RB pick, thinks he will have an impact this year...(Davis or Snelling could be in some trouble).

He was so-so on the Hageman pick, but he feels the reason they didn't go after Ealy was they are likely transitioning to a 3-4 or at worst they will play a mixture of 4 man and 3 man front. Hageman can play the DE spot in a 3-4 or the DT spot in a 4 man line. In a word, "versatile" was the word he used.

He was especially critical of the S in the 3rd round...

Just based off of what I've seen they've had starry eyes for guys who did well in the combine workouts. I think a mixture of a 3-4 and 4-3 is on the horizon. I guess the question is who plays NT in the 3-4? If we do make that switch I think we'll need to draft in that direction but that's not necessarily a bad thing. We could get someone like that in a future first round if we make the playoffs since the demand isn't that high.