• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gilbert Up Thursday

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while they do not have any..open dates for azl..or dsl...the above ..seems to indicate..they will have a couple ..short stops in 2 to 3 years
and a 1B..added to
#NamePosBatThwHtWtDOBStatusMLB 40-man
Starlin Aguilar2BLR5' 11"17001-26-2004ActiveNo
and
Luis BolivarOFRR6' 1"16002-09-2004ActiveNo
and
a lot of pitchers
mariners seem to be going for quality....nice

so..now we can work on the draft...with an idea,...of what..to look at

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while they do not have any..open dates for azl..or dsl...the above ..seems to indicate..they will have a couple ..short stops in 2 to 3 years
and a 1B..added to
Starlin Aguilar2BLR5' 11"17001-26-2004ActiveNo
and
Luis BolivarOFRR6' 1"16002-09-2004ActiveNo
and
a lot of pitchers
mariners seem to be going for quality....nice

so..now we can work on the draft...with an idea,...of what..to look at
And last night proves that we can't easily trust numbers like rankings. Transition from whatever poll Gilbert and Kelenic were part of to the bigs is not always easy, and they got their first bit of proof last night.

So much for prospect hype.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair to Kelenic though , our offense was almost a complete no hit last night so I'm waiting to see how he does with a pitcher who doesn't shut down the entire offense. I'm cutting a bit of slack for Gilbert too. He was no doubt a ball of nerves last night and was up against a pretty decent Indian's offense. Not makine excuses buy I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet.......I just really like to see the young players etching out their careers. :thumb:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And last night proves that we can't easily trust numbers like rankings. Transition from whatever poll Gilbert and Kelenic were part of to the bigs is not always easy, and they got their first bit of proof last night.

So much for prospect hype.
I warned everyone. Prospects should be used as bonus contributors and not as the building blocks. Griffey, AFraud, Johnson, and Edgar couldn't carry us alone.The need for professional, established players the key to building with top prospects used as supporting cast until they establish themselves as the professional players. We redoing it ass-backwards and it can be done but it can also crush youngsters who aren't mentally ready for it.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logan pitched very good in June and July but in August it seems like he's hit a wall...

1629761115585.png

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logan pitched very good in June and July but in August it seems like he's hit a wall...

View attachment 278263
Anyone including Nolan Ryan in his prime throwing his fastball nearly 65% of the time will find a wall. Once he controls his secondary stuff, he will be night and day different.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone including Nolan Ryan in his prime throwing his fastball nearly 65% of the time will find a wall. Once he controls his secondary stuff, he will be night and day different.
And I took the high road and said 'when' and not 'if'. :)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is going to be a when. He has too much competition coming up for it to be an if.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ said:

________________________________________________________________________________________

I have stated similar before - I do not care how good anyones fastball is that throws sub 100 mph ... if a MLB batter is sitting dead red fastball and you throw a fastball for a strike over the heart of the plate ... it better have some serious movement on it ( ie" Mariana Rivera 'cut' fastball ) or there is a good chance the hitter is putting a good swing on it and has really upped his avg to get a hit from .275ish up at least to .300-.325 ( HUGE difference )

The secondary stuff has such awkward grips on the ball and obvious there is so much movement, its pretty difficult to throw a: curve - slider or changeup ( Gilberts off speed stuff ) or a splitty or the rarely seen these days knuckleball. The pitch has to be good but not 'too good' to induce a swing at a pitch out of the strike zone or completely fool the hitter and he is way early on the pitch. Hang a spinning slider with little break on it out over the plate and usually they get deposited in the stands.

Gilbert WILL get stronger ( and faster fastballs ) these next 2-3-4 years and likely will top out at around 98-99MPH ( most MLB pitchers never get anywhere near that ) - And don't for a second think that hitting coaches and players do not study film in the off season in hopes of gaining an edge against a highly touted new prospect in the league.

Gilbert has had a recent few, shall we say: 'non premium' starts of late. He needs to sack up tonite vs the lowly KC line up and get the 1st game of this crucial home stand off on the right note.

Last edited:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was kinda hoping they would use this offday to maybe skip one of his starts