• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants Sign Fox!!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MCC is reporting that the Giants won the Lucious Fox sweepstakes!

Giants sign top international shortstop prospect, Lucius Fox - McCovey Chronicles

He used loopholes to be considered an international amateur vs being eligible for the draft. Based on a the talk about him, I would guess that he would have been a top 5 pick at least in this year's draft. They got him for a reported 6.5M bonus, which means the Giants had to pay about 4M in penalties and are restricted to a 300K individual max for the next 2 years.

The Giants are STACKED at middle infield depth now.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE this move. He was going to the dodgers all along, but the Giants made a big effort to get him these last few days and swayed him to come here.

Right now, he is immediately in discussion for the top prospect in our system.

Not only is he a very talented player, but he is in contention for baseball best name.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MCC is reporting that the Giants won the Lucious Fox sweepstakes!

Giants sign top international shortstop prospect, Lucius Fox - McCovey Chronicles

He used loopholes to be considered an international amateur vs being eligible for the draft. Based on a the talk about him, I would guess that he would have been a top 5 pick at least in this year's draft. They got him for a reported 6.5M bonus, which means the Giants had to pay about 4M in penalties and are restricted to a 300K individual max for the next 2 years.

The Giants are STACKED at middle infield depth now.

The $300K max for any individual player could work out in two interesting ways :

- the Giants could simply sign a bunch of guys for under $300K, basically doing an 'internaional dumpster diving', hoping that one might turn out to be a decent MLBer

- The Giants could trade some of their bonus pool. MLB assigns four bonus values to each club using some mysterious formula, then $700K is added, and that is how the bonus pool is calculated. Each of the bonus values CAN BE TRADED to another team. The Giants could trade their largest bonus value to another team as that last little 'deal sweetener' to get a player they like via trade. Say a team has their eye on a guy they know wants $3.4M, and they only have a pool of $3M. They pick up the Giants' (say) $425K 'bonus value', and thus they don't have any signing limitations the following year(s).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More good news: the top International prospect, Eddy Julio Martinez, was expected to sign with the dodgers but is weighing options and won't sign today. Giants mentioned as a possible destination.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More good news: the top International prospect, Eddy Julio Martinez, was expected to sign with the dodgers but is weighing options and won't sign today. Giants mentioned as a possible destination.
We are already in restriction for the next two years. I dont think there is any further restriction, so they might as well go all-in on this year's class.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE this move. He was going to the dodgers all along, but the Giants made a big effort to get him these last few days and swayed him to come here.

Right now, he is immediately in discussion for the top prospect in our system.

Not only is he a very talented player, but he is in contention for baseball best name.
I am hesitant to list any of these kids too high on prospect lists. Look at Mikey Edie, Gustavo Cabrera, Angel Villalona, Rafael Rodriguez, etc, etc, etc.

I am as excited as the next guy about this kid. And the fact that one of his proposed positions is CF makes me like him just a bit more. But I like the idea of sticking to AA or higher, with an occasional A+ player, populating the top spots of the top prospect lists.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what nick name will this kid get? I am thinking something like "Gadget". Bruce Waynes "gadget-man" was Lucien Fox.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are already in restriction for the next two years. I dont think there is any further restriction, so they might as well go all-in on this year's class.

Nope, and it would be a huge sting for the dodgers, swiping two top guys from right under their feet.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hesitant to list any of these kids too high on prospect lists. Look at Mikey Edie, Gustavo Cabrera, Angel Villalona, Rafael Rodriguez, etc, etc, etc.

I am as excited as the next guy about this kid. And the fact that one of his proposed positions is CF makes me like him just a bit more. But I like the idea of sticking to AA or higher, with an occasional A+ player, populating the top spots of the top prospect lists.

I would rank Beede, Mella, Arroyo ahead of him without batting an eye. Cases can be made for others. I presume he is going to play either in the DSL or the AZL, so we'll get to see him play. We'll see where we are at the end of the year, if guys like Jalen Miller, Hunter Cole, Slater etc. continue to swing hot bats, where he ranks.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rank Beede, Mella, Arroyo ahead of him without batting an eye. Cases can be made for others. I presume he is going to play either in the DSL or the AZL, so we'll get to see him play. We'll see where we are at the end of the year, if guys like Jalen Miller, Hunter Cole, Slater etc. continue to swing hot bats, where he ranks.
He actually lives in Florida and went to HS in Florida, so I don't think DSL is an option. I would expect AZL or SK.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I plan on putting an updated top 10 prospect list together sometime in the next week or so. There have been soooo many absolutely HUGE seasons by kids in the minors this year that it really deserves a fresh look.

No question, though, that Beede is my #1. I am very excited about this kid. Maybe not Cain/Lincecum/Bumgerner excited, but just below that level.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This signing might open up a trade using Kelby Tomlinson down at Double AA. Giants might put him in a package to bring another arm to SF.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This signing might open up a trade using Kelby Tomlinson down at Double AA. Giants might put him in a package to bring another arm to SF.
I doubt Fox will have any bearing on a potential Tomlinson trade. Tomlinson is blocked by the current crop, so he was completely on the table (IMHO).

Fox MAY put Arroyo on the table for potential trades, though. And I would HATE to lose that kid...

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox will be moved to Center Field is my guess. He is too big and fast with and + arm. A real 5 tool player. Also if the get Eddy Julio Martinez to play left field, then the out field will become a dominate force. Pence, Fox, and Martinez.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox will be moved to Center Field is my guess. He is too big and fast with and + arm. A real 5 tool player. Also if the get Eddy Julio Martinez to play left field, then the out field will become a dominate force. Pence, Fox, and Martinez.
A bit early to look at potential SF outfields.

I like seeing Hunter, Fox (if he does, in fact, move to the OF), Mac, Jabevy, Cabrera, Edie as legit OF prospects in the system, though...