• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants not convinced Belt is ready for big leagues

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the definition of irony is the disparity between what is expected and what actually occurs, then....no. Not ironic at all.

Hmmm...

Irony: incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result; an event or result marked by such incongruity

It is a distinct possibility that I don't understand this definition! (then i guess filo doesnt either so I'm in good company), but the way I read that in the situation I described was:

Belt is out hitting nearly everyone, he belongs in Fresno.

Der, maybe I stupid. If so then let me rephrase, ahem:

I know it's only spring training but it is at least funny that they think Belt isn't ready for the big leagues... And he's out-hitting everyone except Melky and Hector (who also might not make the squad) hmmm...

Maybe that's not funny either. :think: but I think compounded with the possibility that Hector doesnt make the squad it is sadly funny that 2/3 of our best spring training players don't make the squad**

In any case its not a big issue to me I want Huff at 1st and the OF is pretty set so it doesn't bother me if Belt starts in Fresno, they can recall him if Pagan doesn't get it together or Blanco fizzles or Nate gets hurt.

**Evidently I must qualify this statement; I understand it's only spring training and even though Belt has been oustanding it doesn't mean that Belt is going to hit .350 this year with 50 bombs and a thousand rbis.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember accurately from my HS days, there are 3 types of irony...

Sarcasm (verbal?)
Foreshadowing (dramatic?)
Humorous (situational?) -- This is the generally accepted form of "irony"

I think you are getting shit because it was not situational irony. I think that it COULD be verbal irony, but that it was a bit of a stretch to call it such.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's only spring training but it is at least ironic that they think Belt isn't ready for the big leagues... And he's out-hitting everyone except Melky and Hector (who also might not make the squad) hmmm...

Maybe Melky ought to be worried...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I think he was booted to make room for Manny.

Not me; I think Manny was making the 25 regardless. Teh Cranium has said that we will take 12 pitchers north. That leaves 13 position players (Hey! New Math! Check out the big brains on me!):

C(2): Buster, assume Stewart
OF(4): Melky, Pagan, Nate, Blanco
IF(6): Huffer, Manny, Stamos, Panda, Riot, Pill

So, either we carry a third catcher (less likely) or a seventh infielder (more likely)

Third catcher: Whitey, Chez3
Seventh infielder: Arias, Belt, Gillaspie

The other consideration is the 40 man roster. Fonty just was dropped, which frees up room for Blanco. A third catcher wouldn't necessitate a move (all three are on the 40), Arias would.

Interesting. Meanwhile, down in Peoria, Zeets shits the bed again. :scared::scared:

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Addendum from Pavlovic:

Bochy said the club is still considering keeping two [reserve] middle infielders, a good sign for Joaquin Arias, the only other middle infielder in camp [besides Riot, who's contract became guaranteed yesterday]. Arias has impressed defensively at three different positions and is hitting .275.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And from Shulman:

Brett Pill went to minor-league camp to play third base. If he shows he can do it, it would enhance his chances of making the team. As of now, though, Joaquin Arias’ chances of making the team have risen substantially with Fontenot’s release because Bochy said the staff is still likely to carry four middle infielders. Arias can play third, short or second.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
FWIW, tweeted by Shulman:

My blog has a couple of Belt thoughts. In summary: 1) He's still in the mix. 2) I've talked to a number of people who were good hitters...... in the majors and have no stake in Belt's future tell me he won't hit in bigs until he sews up a big swing hole, the middle-in fastball.

Last edited by a moderator:

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, tweeted by Shulman:

Well I guess the hole in his swing wasn't enough to keep him in Fresno. Obviously the Giants don't think it's as big of a problem as these sport writers indicated... Maybe it's something they think they can take care of at the major league level. I hope so, I'd hate to see him at .225 in June and heading back to Fresno.