• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

George Iloka released

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, they really like Trayvon Henderson and Brandon Wilson and have a couple guys that play swing CB/S like Shaw. I just think they felt for as little as they got out of Iloka and the price savings he could create for Atkins and Dunlap and the roster spot he could surrender for a younger prospect, they needed to move on.

I was shocked, but glad they are looking at ways to work into the position to negotiate with Atkins and Dunlap, because the Bengals stop talking contracts once the season starts.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bengals were clearly in the market for a new safety - Almost immediately after hiring a new coordinator. I don't think Iloka was valued by Teryl Austin. They unsuccessfully went after FAs which they rarely do.... And now they've gone in the direction of youth. Given this franchise's history, you really have to be de-valued for them to let you go. And I think that is what happened.

Wouldn't be shocked to see MJ join him.... Though, they found use for him last year by moving him inside on obvious passing situations.
According to PFF Iloka was sub-60 grade through 2 preseason games, and Bates was above 80. Didn't watch the games, but that sure makes me think Bates is ready & Iloka has regressed. But that could have somethin to do with Bates playing against the 2nd/3rd team scrubs. Has Iloka's level of play declined?

Also worth mentioning... Looking back at how long they rode Leon Hall & Adam Jones for much larger cap hits, its hard to pin this on the financial argument.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can only speculate as I know Mike Brown is cheap also, but I think they were coach's picks as he enjoyed at least Hall's leadership. We cut Jones part way through his extension as well. There is a cap floor, and sometimes you ride those higher contracts past their prime if you do not have anyone better to give them too. Let the old guys have them and that are tapering if you don't have any up and comers you need to give the money to, especially since we don't participate in 1A free agency. Plus, if you have your money locked into those older guys, it is easier to cut one of them and recoup financial value to up someone elses contract. You up the wrong person too early with your stars upcoming, and you lost the ability to cut a guy to make room for another.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to PFF Iloka was sub-60 grade through 2 preseason games, and Bates was above 80. Didn't watch the games, but that sure makes me think Bates is ready & Iloka has regressed. But that could have somethin to do with Bates playing against the 2nd/3rd team scrubs. Has Iloka's level of play declined?

Also worth mentioning... Looking back at how long they rode Leon Hall & Adam Jones for much larger cap hits, its hard to pin this on the financial argument.

That's why I have a hard time thinking it's financial.... About the only currency the Bengals have with vet players is that people can count on them to honor a contract. It makes it a more attractive place to sign and I do think it has influenced a few players to stick around. Unless they really like Cincinnati chili or Marvin Lewis..... Anyway, it's a strange move for them because they normally ride out the vets (as you point out). If it is financial, it must be about trying to cut two deals (Dunlap and Atkins) and rolling more money into this year. My hunch is that it has more to do with productivity and the coaches weren't sold on Iloka.

FWIW, I've never been a big fan of Iloka. I thought the defense really regressed after Reggie Nelson left - He was the real deal.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but of course it probably boils down to him being demoted to 2nd string and still having a big salary

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bengals have been looking hard at guys who can make plays on the ball as a Safety. Iloka was good in what he did, but he wasn't a "play maker" when the ball was in the air. Decent, but not great, at coverage. Solid in run support.

The new DC almost immediately identified this as an area of need, and they chased some Free Agents, and then drafted Bates. While the cap savings is nice, and may help with Dunlap/Atkins, I think this was a case of the rookie showing enough in practice, and in games, that they felt they could move on.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen anything special out of Bates yet. Looks like he makes solid wrap up tackles. I haven't seen him break any passes up. Have not seen him cause a fumble, strip the ball, recover a fumble, make an INT, or start leading the secondary in play calls and positioning yet. All I have seen is a guy that makes a tackle when the ball carrier is near him. I am not saying Bates may not be doing things right behind t he scenes, and maybe he is exactly where he needs to be on the field. I just have not seen anything special shine through yet. Nothing like Troy P. did for Pittsburgh in his first training camp and preseason.

I think personally, and who knows for sure outside management and coaching, Iloka didn't look any better than a rookie. We have leaders on this team. Atkins and Dunlap require big bucks and both team and players stop negotiating once the start of the season rolls around. So if they are pushing for these guys to get resigned, they need extra dough.

Eventually, Obuehi, Kirkpatrick, Eifert need to go to make salary room for Jackson, possibly Dennard and Preston Brown.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen anything special out of Bates yet. Looks like he makes solid wrap up tackles. I haven't seen him break any passes up. Have not seen him cause a fumble, strip the ball, recover a fumble, make an INT, or start leading the secondary in play calls and positioning yet. All I have seen is a guy that makes a tackle when the ball carrier is near him. I am not saying Bates may not be doing things right behind t he scenes, and maybe he is exactly where he needs to be on the field. I just have not seen anything special shine through yet. Nothing like Troy P. did for Pittsburgh in his first training camp and preseason.

I think personally, and who knows for sure outside management and coaching, Iloka didn't look any better than a rookie. We have leaders on this team. Atkins and Dunlap require big bucks and both team and players stop negotiating once the start of the season rolls around. So if they are pushing for these guys to get resigned, they need extra dough.

Eventually, Obuehi, Kirkpatrick, Eifert need to go to make salary room for Jackson, possibly Dennard and Preston Brown.

It's preseason!! I have no idea what Troy P. or Ed Reed looked like in their first preseason game but I'm sure they were hyped. They were top picks for god's sakes....

Bates is a draft pick that had a solid grade. I don't think he's going to be some revolutionary playmaker for us. But, he might be a solid safety that is an upgrade over Iloka. There really was no other reason to do it - I don't think Marvin is in the business of letting guys go that could help him. Not re-signing guys is one thing.... Cutting guys for no reason is quite another. Iloka probably just wasn't valued a lot.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it is preseason, and just the beginning of his career. I am just saying, he hasn't done anything to stand out. But then again, Iloka hasn't stood out for a few years either other than his few penalties for personal fouls. I am good with it. No issues here. I just think there are more motives behind it than just this player is better than that one. 1) Youth. 2) Price. 3) Talent Comparison