• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

George Iloka released

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
100% speculation here but are they “freeing” up cash to fit a veteran RT to the team? If so, they can release Ogbuehi as well.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jessie Bates has been good though. But Wtf.

This is so unlike Marvin Lewis. This pretty much proves anyone who has their back against the wall will do anything. Even for him.

Now. Go all the way and bench Dalton and start Driskel.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this more as looking for money to put into contracts for Geno and Carlos before the season starts.

Iloka is now useless since they are cracking down on leading with the helmet. I don't think he knows any other way to tackle.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The timing is curious for this move. Iloka was in no way irreplaceable. He wasn’t worth the money he was owed. However, he was a serviceable starter at a position with little depth.

I’d expect Clayton Fejedelem to start with Bates coming in as the deep safety in sub packages.

The talking heads are saying strictly a cost cutting move. It better be to free up money for Dunlap or Geno.

pitman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my favorite players, hope someone picks him up

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you're going to get your ass kicked anyway, why does it matter? at least there will be plenty of seats available at the end of the season.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If things go well with Jackson and Dennard this year, I can see them releasing Kirkpatrick in the offseason and freeing up enough money for Dunlap, Atkins and Dennard, with Jackson on their mind when he is ready for a new contract.

Kirkpatrick makes between 10 to 11 million a year and is honestly a pretty average CB who doesn't get many turnovers. They can save almost 7 million releasing him in the off season even with a little dead cap. Then you have room for a few of the young CB's to step up in the 3-5 slots on the depth charts.

I imagine Michael Johnson is the next logical cut also. Johnson may not make it out of preseason on the roster either.

Dunlap
Lawson
Willis
Hubbard

With them keeping an extra DT, or LB on the roster who is more a pass rushing LB (Worley maybe?).

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If things go well with Jackson and Dennard this year, I can see them releasing Kirkpatrick in the offseason and freeing up enough money for Dunlap, Atkins and Dennard, with Jackson on their mind when he is ready for a new contract.

Kirkpatrick makes between 10 to 11 million a year and is honestly a pretty average CB who doesn't get many turnovers. They can save almost 7 million releasing him in the off season even with a little dead cap. Then you have room for a few of the young CB's to step up in the 3-5 slots on the depth charts.

I imagine Michael Johnson is the next logical cut also. Johnson may not make it out of preseason on the roster either.

Dunlap
Lawson
Willis
Hubbard

With them keeping an extra DT, or LB on the roster who is more a pass rushing LB (Worley maybe?).

Well, they'll get at least 4 games to keep an extra defensive player with Burficts' suspension to start the season.

Also, Kirkpatrick is below average. He's just not good. He's a busted play, burned by WR, or Pass Interference waiting to happen on every play.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Kirkpatrick is below average. He's just not good. He's a busted play, burned by WR, or Pass Interference waiting to happen on every play.

Agreed. I have never understood what this organization sees in him. He’s not a very good CB by any measurement. And I don’t need PFF ratings shoved in my face. My eye balls tell me every Sunday that Kirkpatrick sucks. Waste of money.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I have never understood what this organization sees in him. He’s not a very good CB by any measurement. And I don’t need PFF ratings shoved in my face. My eye balls tell me every Sunday that Kirkpatrick sucks. Waste of money.

What I see is a guy who doesn't really have confidence. He usually gets beat because he's afraid to get beat deep. He starts by playing off, and gives up yardage underneath, and then they hook him with the double move. He falls for it nearly EVERY time. It ends up being a penalty or a big completion.

Maybe the scheme will put him into better positioning this year? Personally, I think he just needs to play mainly Zone, and let him not worry about getting beat deep too often, and just covering an area. Also, maybe with III playing lock-down on the other side, you can now shade the safety to help? I don't know, but they need to figure out something. Having a lock-down CB doesn't work as well when the other guy can't cover a wet paper bag.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timing does seem odd. Could be a classy move to allow Iloka the time to get ahead of the other cuts though, giving him a better chance to latch onto another team. But its still a move that wreaks of Mike Brown's cheap nature of business.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now that Pittsburgh found another gem WR, this organization is going to need all the CB's they can get their hands on to try and help minimize the damage Pittsburgh's offense can do. Pittsburgh is going to be in a lot of shoot outs. Their defense does not look good, their offense looks real good again.

I think that Packers Steelers score will be the type of games Pittsburgh is involved with a lot this year.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timing does seem odd. Could be a classy move to allow Iloka the time to get ahead of the other cuts though, giving him a better chance to latch onto another team. But its still a move that wreaks of Mike Brown's cheap nature of business.

I don;t think this has anything to do with being cheap this time. I think this is a cost savings move to try and sign Dunlap and Atkins, plus Iloka was good for about two personal fouls a game with his tackling style. He was not bad, but he was not great either. I am okay with rolling the dice on Bates as long as on the flip side of this that Atkins and/or Dunlap get resigned.

Lots and lots of depth on this defense this year. Cuts are going to be very tough. I still think Michael Johnson might get the axe as well.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don;t think this has anything to do with being cheap this time. I think this is a cost savings move to try and sign Dunlap and Atkins, plus Iloka was good for about two personal fouls a game with his tackling style. He was not bad, but he was not great either. I am okay with rolling the dice on Bates as long as on the flip side of this that Atkins and/or Dunlap get resigned.

Lots and lots of depth on this defense this year. Cuts are going to be very tough. I still think Michael Johnson might get the axe as well.
If it was indeed for "cap savings" then why not just cut Michael Johnson? His cap hit is almost the exact same.

2018 Cap hits:
Iloka: $6.2m
Johnson: $6.1m

IMO he's way more expendable.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, I think Michael Johnson is next in line. However, they only have 5 DE on the roster right now and they have not even made it through the 3rd week of preseason yet. Unfortunately for Michael Johnson, I don;t think he is going to be given as much of a chance to hook on with another team like Iloka did.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it was indeed for "cap savings" then why not just cut Michael Johnson? His cap hit is almost the exact same.

2018 Cap hits:
Iloka: $6.2m
Johnson: $6.1m

IMO he's way more expendable.

The Bengals were clearly in the market for a new safety - Almost immediately after hiring a new coordinator. I don't think Iloka was valued by Teryl Austin. They unsuccessfully went after FAs which they rarely do.... And now they've gone in the direction of youth. Given this franchise's history, you really have to be de-valued for them to let you go. And I think that is what happened.

Wouldn't be shocked to see MJ join him.... Though, they found use for him last year by moving him inside on obvious passing situations.