• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

General media prefers Chicago

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Adam Silver is trying to make his mark on the NBA, the stink Mr. $tern left is still going to be tough to get rid of. The NBA is still largely about the big markets, which is why I'm rooting for either Atlanta or Cleveland to win the East even though I live near Chicago.

Living in NW Indiana, there's a reason I'm a Pacers fan instead of a Bulls fan. While we don't have as many fans, our fan base is more of a pure basketball crowd, while theirs is more of an "Entertain me" kind of crowd.

Watching a local Bulls game can be extremely painful on the eyes when a bad team is on the schedule. These guys see their six championship banners, know they play in a major market, and think all they need to do is show up on a lot of nights.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Adam Silver is trying to make his mark on the NBA, the stink Mr. $tern left is still going to be tough to get rid of. The NBA is still largely about the big markets, which is why I'm rooting for either Atlanta or Cleveland to win the East even though I live near Chicago.

Living in NW Indiana, there's a reason I'm a Pacers fan instead of a Bulls fan. While we don't have as many fans, our fan base is more of a pure basketball crowd, while theirs is more of an "Entertain me" kind of crowd.

Watching a local Bulls game can be extremely painful on the eyes when a bad team is on the schedule. These guys see their six championship banners, know they play in a major market, and think all they need to do is show up on a lot of nights.

:bullshit:

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you just like losers.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stern isn't the reason that the larger market teams are more successful, money and location is. It's always been that way and likely always will be. It's why the league has had to adjust it's salary cap rules to try and even the playing the field.

It's not necessarily fair, but it's how it is. The best chance small market teams have is getting a superstar level player in the draft and hope he stays for all or most of his career ala Lebron with the Cavs, Durant with OKC, Timmy, Parker and Manu with the Spurs and Reggie Miller with your Pacers back in the day (loved his battles with the Knicks).

Not really sure what else can be done. Even with the current cap, star players still seem to find their way to the larger market teams. In some ways, NBA players are just like the rest of us. They want nice weather and lots of choices for entertainment etc. That's why despite California being in a historic drought, having all kinds of financial issues and a high cost of living, people keep moving here.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is actually a win-win for the league. bulls win and they have a large market team advancing. cavs win and the biggest star in the league is still playing

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really sure what else can be done. Even with the current cap, star players still seem to find their way to the larger market teams. In some ways, NBA players are just like the rest of us. They want nice weather and lots of choices for entertainment etc. That's why despite California being in a historic drought, having all kinds of financial issues and a high cost of living, people keep moving here.

And how'd the whole "big names thrive in big markets" theory work for Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, Amare Stoudemire, and (to a somewhat lesser extent) Carmelo Anthony?

The NBA can't just be a business. The best basketball decisions should factor in as well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how'd the whole "big names thrive in big markets" theory work for Deron Williams, Dwight Howard, Amare Stoudemire, and (to a somewhat lesser extent) Carmelo Anthony?

The NBA can't just be a business. The best basketball decisions should factor in as well.

And how did it work out for Shaq, Pau Gasol and Kareem?

Nice of you to throw Dwight in your little list. He was going to test the free agency market before the trade to LA. :L

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And how'd the whole "comprehending and responding to what was actually stated in the post rather than making shit up" work out for you? Not very well it seems.

How about you find the post where I said "big names thrive in big markets" or quit making stuff up and respond to the actual post?

I didn't say they thrive in big markets, I said they find their way to big markets because that's where the money is. Whether any of the players you named were actually successful in the big cities they ended up in, does not change the fact that that's where they ended up (although Dwight was only for one season) and that they got paid a lot of money.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just calling it the way I see it. My first ever NBA game came at the United Center in 1998 when I saw Jordan and the Bulls face the Bucks who had Glenn Robinson and Ray Allen. The energy in the building during that era was like nothing anyone has ever seen before. Whereas today, the atmosphere seems a little watered down as a result of those six titles. It's as if the fans think they're supposed to win.

And thank God Thibs is gone. Putting up 73 points in an elimination game is unacceptable any way you look at it. Hoiberg may not be the answer, but Thibs definitely isn't.