• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - WCSF (Game 5) Red Wings at Sharks - 5:00PM

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"When's Patty Marleau gonna come out and hit somebody in a playoff game?" Roenick asked incredulously. "When is he gonna come out and start showing why he was so good in the regular season? Not just scoring goals, but playing physical and being emotional in a playoff round. Look at the way Shane Doan(notes) came out in Game 1 against Detroit. He hit everything that he could possibly get his hands on to show his team how they need to play. When is Patrick Marleau going to do that in a playoff round?"

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Roenick calls Marleau ?gutless?: Constructive critic or crossed line? - Puck Daddy - NHLBlog - Yahoo! Sports

This article absolutely nails everything I said and what Roenick was trying to say. Well done.

great post indeed. Its exactly right. I love drew saying that you can criticize the play but not the player... what the fuck is that? So I guy makes multiple horrible plays but he's a good player? A player is his plays. Drew is such a dumbass.

I would love to hear JR elaborate as the post talked about, but that would also break the hockey code big time. What is said in the locker room and behind closed doors needs to stay there and JR would be truly classless if he revealed anything like that.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew just got butthurt about "gutless" he actually called out Marleau's play after that. I consider playing uninspired hockey gutless. But to each his own.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The shitty play by Marleau was allowing Datsyuk to strip him of the puck when the Sharks were already scrambling around. Marleau had a chance to clear but opted to try and skate with the puck. Know your surroundings. If it's Bertuzzi chasing after you, skate with the puck. If it's Datsyuk chasing after you, get rid of that thing ASAP. Especially after all five Sharks have been scrambling.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Drew just got butthurt about "gutless" he actually called out Marleau's play after that. I consider playing uninspired hockey gutless. But to each his own.

yeah and drew says "He's not gutless, he just didnt compete hard enough"... gee, drew, what does that sound like?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The shitty play by Marleau was allowing Datsyuk to strip him of the puck when the Sharks were already scrambling around. Marleau had a chance to clear but opted to try and skate with the puck. Know your surroundings. If it's Bertuzzi chasing after you, skate with the puck. If it's Datsyuk chasing after you, get rid of that thing ASAP. Especially after all five Sharks have been scrambling.

Marleau never had a chance to clear the zone. He never got it out of his skates to his stick which is primarly why the turnover occurred. Knowing your surroundings requires some help from teammates. I'm sure it's a safe guess that Marleau thought he had more time than he actually did and nobody communicated to him that Datsyuk was pressuring from behind. Marleau's certainly not free of blame, once he couldn't get it cleanly to his stick he should have pinned it to the boards and given his teammates a chance to win the board battle, but people are making way too much of the turnover and not enough of the way, way, more grevious mistakes on that play like players just watching the puck (Seto and Thornton) and way out of position (White and Thornton).

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah and drew says "He's not gutless, he just didnt compete hard enough"... gee, drew, what does that sound like?

All of the Drew & Randy comments come from being the home(r) announcers. I can just hear Kype & Kruk doing the same if Bobby V called out Buster or lil' Timmy. It's easier for JR to let it all hang out. I agree with him with his critisism, and to some extent, even the term 'gutless'. Big question, what Tadd going to do aboot it?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All of the Drew & Randy comments come from being the home(r) announcers. I can just hear Kype & Kruk doing the same if Bobby V called out Buster or lil' Timmy. It's easier for JR to let it all hang out. I agree with him with his critisism, and to some extent, even the term 'gutless'. Big question, what Tadd going to do aboot it?

But Kruk and Kuip wouldn't because the giants arent gutless and they have proven their clutchness. Besides, baseball isnt a game of guts and relentless effort. Its more of a physical game of mechanics. its kinda hard to outwork an opponent in baseball, you just kinda outexecute them. You hit the ball or you dont. You throw strikes or dont. You can definitely choke and its a very mental game, but it's not an effort thing...

Also, of course R+D are homers and wouldnt have a job if they werent. I understand them defending patty, and they almost have to. that said, patty shouldnt be defending himself (which he's not). Instead, he should be accepting responsibility for breakdowns and his performance thus far in the series, and picking up his game now that they need him to do so. if he reels off a solid multi-point dominating performance at both ends and comes up big in game 6 in a sharks win, that will be the ultimate answer to all of this. But, until he answers the criticism during the game, it will remain and will be warranted. The man makes 7 million dollars and has been given infinite opportunities to help lead the team deep into the PO's. Now is another of those chances.

p.s.: good game from pavs again. Only plus forward on the team and shoulda had the GWG. Just had to give the high five to my boy who is tied for the team lead in goals and has helped make torrey mitchell into an NHLer again. Dont hear anybody criticizing his heart...

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marleau is not going to do jack shit in Game 6... even if he scores a couple goals, who gives a shit? The Sharks are going to get blown out, regardless.

Maybe he can do something good in Game 7 but at this point, I don't really care whether he does. /shrug

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Kruk and Kuip wouldn't because the giants arent gutless and they have proven their clutchness. Besides, baseball isnt a game of guts and relentless effort. Its more of a physical game of mechanics. its kinda hard to outwork an opponent in baseball, you just kinda outexecute them. You hit the ball or you dont. You throw strikes or dont. You can definitely choke and its a very mental game, but it's not an effort thing...

Also, of course R+D are homers and wouldnt have a job if they werent. I understand them defending patty, and they almost have to. that said, patty shouldnt be defending himself (which he's not). Instead, he should be accepting responsibility for breakdowns and his performance thus far in the series, and picking up his game now that they need him to do so. if he reels off a solid multi-point dominating performance at both ends and comes up big in game 6 in a sharks win, that will be the ultimate answer to all of this. But, until he answers the criticism during the game, it will remain and will be warranted. The man makes 7 million dollars and has been given infinite opportunities to help lead the team deep into the PO's. Now is another of those chances.

p.s.: good game from pavs again. Only plus forward on the team and shoulda had the GWG. Just had to give the high five to my boy who is tied for the team lead in goals and has helped make torrey mitchell into an NHLer again. Dont hear anybody criticizing his heart...

I just said if they were 'called out'. I didn't specify an actual statement or term. My point (and it sounds like you agree) is that JR doesn't have any affiliations or allegiance to worry about. I think he called it correctly, but it has to be on the entire series. Not just that one play.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Hahns assessment of the situation is correct in terms of roenick trying to further his career in broadcasting. His alter ego of "JR superstar" (its what he called himself) is alive and well, the guy is attention whore plain and simple

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Hahns assessment of the situation is correct in terms of roenick trying to further his career in broadcasting. His alter ego of "JR superstar" (its what he called himself) is alive and well, the guy is attention whore plain and simple

no argument on the attention whore part... little doubt of that. Im not sure it was for his broadcasting career though. I think it's just JR being JR.

However, he wouldnt have said it if he didnt think it was really true. he wasnt just going for shock value. He has said stuff like this before about patty as was shown in the puck daddy blog post. He knows how good patty can be particulary in the regular season, yet he (and so many others) are miffed about the guy's inconsistency and seeming lack of heart at times.

Did he cross the line? I dont know, but he is right about patty.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JR was just being brutally honest and I appreciate that.

The Sharks head to Detroit and Roenick doesn’t back down from his strong words | Working the Corners

“This is totally on the record,” he said. “I am not a Patrick Marleau fan. I’m not going to pretend to be. But I also will tell you that he is an incredible, incredible talent. I wish I had the talent he has. If I had the talent Patrick Marleau has, I wouldn’t even know what I could have done. But I have my opinion of his determination and effort level, especially with the amount of money that he makes. I respect people’s opinions, but I have one, too. I really feel that the San Jose Sharks, the fans, and Doug Wilson deserve a better effort than they have gotten on a lot of nights in this series. And I have the ability to say that. This is not an act. This is me speaking my mind. Patrick Marleau has a lot of fans. I just happen to be not one of them.”

“Nobody else will say it,” he said. “I am sure I’m not the only person who feels this way. Read my Tweet board and there are Sharks fans agreeing with me. There are fans who are mad at me. And that’s OK. That goes with the territory. The word gutless might have been a little strong. But I chose to use it and I’m not backing off it.”

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, no problem at all with those quotes from JR there.

Like I said, he knows that "gutless" is too strong and says so himself. You don't call someone gutless on national TV, sorry.

He's not backing off or apologizing for it, which he's entitled to, of course.

But he knows it was too strong a word... which, well, it was.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
JR is just proving that he is the versus idiot :-) (sometimes)

I've been saying what JR said for quite some time. I am glad that finally, after all the attacks I've faced on this board that someone finally had the guts to give it to PM pure and straight on national TV. The guy has all the talent in the world and uses it so inconsistently that he deserves to be skewered once and for all in front of everyone. Notice though that patty takes zro responsibility for his own suckiness. No anger. No passion. No admissions of guilt. Just the ho hum answer of 'it'll come'. Ummm, it wont unless you work hard...

Maybe now, everyone will gear their snide comments toward JR instead of me :-)

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is worse though? Charles Barkley or JR? both seem to be the clowns they bring in for extra numbers in the Nielsen ratings...both are total jackasses.

in fact i think the entire VS team are the worst group ever although NBC guys are pretty bad too.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no argument on the attention whore part... little doubt of that. Im not sure it was for his broadcasting career though. I think it's just JR being JR.

However, he wouldnt have said it if he didnt think it was really true. he wasnt just going for shock value. He has said stuff like this before about patty as was shown in the puck daddy blog post. He knows how good patty can be particulary in the regular season, yet he (and so many others) are miffed about the guy's inconsistency and seeming lack of heart at times.

Did he cross the line? I dont know, but he is right about patty.

I think the biggest issue I have is that of all people to question someones character, the last person on the planet to do that is roenick. This is a guy who when he got scratched in phoenix and la would literally leave the arena to go to the bar.

if not for wilson pulling his dunk ass off the scrap heap thats all he would've been remembered for

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, but I have trouble questioning JR's heart. He has his flaws, but I never saw him half ass anything on the ice. He gave it his all every shift and paid every price.

Also, I think JR has felt this for some time, but cant give specifics about when he was here. JR was in the PO's with the sharks in 07-08 and 08-09. In those two years, patty combined for 11 points in 19 games and -2. Specifically in 07-08, he had just 2 pts in the 6 games vs. dallas. that they lost. Then just 3 pts in 6 vs. anaheim. Granted the whole team wasnt great in those series but 5 points in 12 games in the 2 elimination series that JR was in might have lingering effects.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest issue I have is that of all people to question someones character, the last person on the planet to do that is roenick. This is a guy who when he got scratched in phoenix and la would literally leave the arena to go to the bar.

if not for wilson pulling his dunk ass off the scrap heap thats all he would've been remembered for

Nicely said. Would +rep you but it won't let me until I spread it around a little more... hah!

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JR is just proving that he is the versus idiot :-) (sometimes)

I've been saying what JR said for quite some time. I am glad that finally, after all the attacks I've faced on this board that someone finally had the guts to give it to PM pure and straight on national TV. The guy has all the talent in the world and uses it so inconsistently that he deserves to be skewered once and for all in front of everyone. Notice though that patty takes zro responsibility for his own suckiness. No anger. No passion. No admissions of guilt. Just the ho hum answer of 'it'll come'. Ummm, it wont unless you work hard...

Maybe now, everyone will gear their snide comments toward JR instead of me :-)

he can't until mike milbury and pee air quagmire retire, but.he made. a very strong showing.

yeah your right, marleau respond with a teenager like tantrum like good ole jr would do, or go to the bar and have a few drinks inbetween periods.

not like 30 something year old professional athlete