• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - WCSF (Game 5) Red Wings at Sharks - 5:00PM

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"When's Patty Marleau gonna come out and hit somebody in a playoff game?" Roenick asked incredulously. "When is he gonna come out and start showing why he was so good in the regular season? Not just scoring goals, but playing physical and being emotional in a playoff round. Look at the way Shane Doan(notes) came out in Game 1 against Detroit. He hit everything that he could possibly get his hands on to show his team how they need to play. When is Patrick Marleau going to do that in a playoff round?"

Patty did that against Chicago last year. He was a man possessed not only with the goals, but with playing physically as well. I was surprised/impressed about the physical play. Unfortunately, only Patty knows when that player is going to come to play. If he consistently played half as hard as he did in that series, he'd be a playoff monster.

Hopefully JR's prodding will bring that Patty to the forefront.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
he can't until mike milbury and pee air quagmire retire, but.he made. a very strong showing.

yeah your right, marleau respond with a teenager like tantrum like good ole jr would do, or go to the bar and have a few drinks inbetween periods.

not like 30 something year old professional athlete

I would contrast his answers with those of... say... danny boyle who would have been mad and ashamed if he was that bad. Think about his demeanor after he scored on his own goal last year or after subpar performances in round 1. He was visibly upset with his play and has really responded in this second round with much better performances and multiple super clutch goals.

obviously, patty shouldnt go throwing sticks around the room and cussing (though that would be hilarious to watch), but I wouldnt mind see him care at least a bit and feel a tinge of shame and admit that he hasnt not been good enough. There's a reason guys like boyle have won it all while guys like jumbo and patty havent come close. Toews and kane are as hard working and passionate as they come. Sid the kid, for all the complaints about him, gives it his all every game and pays the price physically, too. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, lidstrom and franzen dont take full series off. Now, Jumbo is showing a whole different animal right now on the ice and it's great to see, but patty is stuck in the same rut of mediocrity that has plagued him his entire career. Until he feels the fire, it's hard not to call him out.

p.s.: the national TV crews are pretty painful to watch. Mcguire eally is an embarassment :-)

I do like keith jones though...

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, but I have trouble questioning JR's heart. He has his flaws, but I never saw him half ass anything on the ice. He gave it his all every shift and paid every price.

Also, I think JR has felt this for some time, but cant give specifics about when he was here. JR was in the PO's with the sharks in 07-08 and 08-09. In those two years, patty combined for 11 points in 19 games and -2. Specifically in 07-08, he had just 2 pts in the 6 games vs. dallas. that they lost. Then just 3 pts in 6 vs. anaheim. Granted the whole team wasnt great in those series but 5 points in 12 games in the 2 elimination series that JR was in might have lingering effects.

Then you missed his time in LA. Enjoy your little "I told you so" moment, but don't go overboard. JR and some pissed off fans agree with you, congrats.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marleau's response was typical Marleau. He's Mr. Stoneface.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're right that I didnt watch him closely in LA or phoenix. I wouldnt argue about anything said about him then. However, based on his time in SJ, he gave full heart all the time.

I didnt mean 'I told you so', just that I may be able to criticize the guy now without getting attacked since he was called out across the hockey world and a whole lot of people agree with JR.

I still think he has the ability to take over a game, so I am hoping that even if we cant get consistent performances from him, at least he can have one complete game. The sharks do need him to win the cup, so he needs to show up.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is when the marleau non factor is a factor
p.s. Marleau you are a fucking douche
Yeah, there's only so much even I can defend Marleau... :L
He's a complete fucking embarrassment out there.
Roenick just called Marleau gutless. And I agree 100%. He is killing this season and ruining it for all of us fans. Play some fucking hockey you fucking prick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not going to lump everything on Patty's back for this loss - even though he managed the bulk of untimely mistakes leading to opportunities for the Red Wings. The fact is that we paid for 60 minutes of hockey and got 40. There's enough blame to go around.

However, I agree a lot with JR and have for a while. We are paying a guy around 7mil/year. You reserve those levels for your top performing players, the guys that dig into mysterious wells of effort and skill to win you championships. We have consistently put ourselves into the post season... do you get the impression that we are getting the kind of consistent commitment from this guy to win a championship? Joe has changed his game a lot, and in a shorter period of time... why can't he?

We may prevail - the chips may land ever so perfectly that we just 'luck' our way though.. but its not likely. If a guy like Dats was our 7mi investment and Patty was the 4 million sniper I'd give him a pass. But that's not what we signed up for - and neither did he.

JR may have been a little acidic, but he's saying what everyone privately thinks. We live in a culture where everyone is too afraid to speak frankly and hurt feelings are akin to nuclear weapon detonations. He has been gutless. How many times has he crashed the net or DEMANDED real estate in prime scoring areas this series or the previous one(s)?

What is frustrating to us all, is we know he is capable of it - but if he only wants to deliver 25% effort throughout the year... he should adjust his salary 25% as well.

Randy and Drew know this - but they work for the Sharks, they have to put the right spin on this. JR doesn't work for the Sharks anymore.. and if bridges were burned calling out a 7mil/year hockey phenom that hasn't showed up for the playoffs yet - and is not doing the things you would expect from a courageous and passionate player... then maybe those bridges were over rated to begin with.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am not going to lump everything on Patty's back for this loss - even though he managed the bulk of untimely mistakes leading to opportunities for the Red Wings. The fact is that we paid for 60 minutes of hockey and got 40. There's enough blame to go around.

However, I agree a lot with JR and have for a while. We are paying a guy around 7mil/year. You reserve those levels for your top performing players, the guys that dig into mysterious wells of effort and skill to win you championships. We have consistently put ourselves into the post season... do you get the impression that we are getting the kind of consistent commitment from this guy to win a championship? Joe has changed his game a lot, and in a shorter period of time... why can't he?

We may prevail - the chips may land ever so perfectly that we just 'luck' our way though.. but its not likely. If a guy like Dats was our 7mi investment and Patty was the 4 million sniper I'd give him a pass. But that's not what we signed up for - and neither did he.

JR may have been a little acidic, but he's saying what everyone privately thinks. We live in a culture where everyone is too afraid to speak frankly and hurt feelings are akin to nuclear weapon detonations. He has been gutless. How many times has he crashed the net or DEMANDED real estate in prime scoring areas this series or the previous one(s)?

What is frustrating to us all, is we know he is capable of it - but if he only wants to deliver 25% effort throughout the year... he should adjust his salary 25% as well.

Randy and Drew know this - but they work for the Sharks, they have to put the right spin on this. JR doesn't work for the Sharks anymore.. and if bridges were burned calling out a 7mil/year hockey phenom that hasn't showed up for the playoffs yet - and is not doing the things you would expect from a courageous and passionate player... then maybe those bridges were over rated to begin with.

yep.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would contrast his answers with those of... say... danny boyle who would have been mad and ashamed if he was that bad. Think about his demeanor after he scored on his own goal last year or after subpar performances in round 1. He was visibly upset with his play and has really responded in this second round with much better performances and multiple super clutch goals.

obviously, patty shouldnt go throwing sticks around the room and cussing (though that would be hilarious to watch), but I wouldnt mind see him care at least a bit and feel a tinge of shame and admit that he hasnt not been good enough. There's a reason guys like boyle have won it all while guys like jumbo and patty havent come close. Toews and kane are as hard working and passionate as they come. Sid the kid, for all the complaints about him, gives it his all every game and pays the price physically, too. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, lidstrom and franzen dont take full series off. Now, Jumbo is showing a whole different animal right now on the ice and it's great to see, but patty is stuck in the same rut of mediocrity that has plagued him his entire career. Until he feels the fire, it's hard not to call him out.

p.s.: the national TV crews are pretty painful to watch. Mcguire eally is an embarassment :-)

I do like keith jones though...

Jones is good until its a flyers game lol, Not all players are the same, some guys like to keep an even keel through out and not get to high or low. No one approach is better then other you go with what works for you.

That being said theres been many times when patty was the only one showing any heart or emotion and the other 19 guys didnt. That being said, much like society its what have you done for me lately.

As for getting paid to perform JR should shut his pie whole on that to, because he outright robbed the kings and yotes in his later years due to his sauce problems

All that aside, Marleau has bigger things to worry about then the comments of a retired drunk broadcaster, who admits he wished he had his talent on the ice. And by retired i dont mean from drinking

Last edited by a moderator:

Nimesis23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So what is everyone's alcohol of choice if this goes to game 7...? I think I might have a heart attack if that happens.

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well home from surgery (it was nothing major) but thanks for all the well wishes from everyone. But, it was delayed for a couple hours, because my doctor was performing a heart transplant on Marleau, and he was having trouble finding his current heart. It appeared he didn't have one to replace.

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what is everyone's alcohol of choice if this goes to game 7...? I think I might have a heart attack if that happens.

alg_four_loko.jpg

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll just use my vicodins I got today....all of them (if necessary).

li0lsh

Hoopla Cash
$ 737.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can't wait to call out marleau at state of the sharks if they happen to lose this :D

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i can't wait to call out marleau at state of the sharks if they happen to lose this :D

If they even have a STotS. Last time they had an embarrassing PO exit (1st round loss to Anaheim) they refused to hold one.

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well home from surgery (it was nothing major) but thanks for all the well wishes from everyone. But, it was delayed for a couple hours, because my doctor was performing a heart transplant on Marleau, and he was having trouble finding his current heart. It appeared he didn't have one to replace.

Good to hear that it was not anything major. I have a strange feeling that the Tin Man will come through with at least one goal tomorrow in Detroit. Being called "gutless" on national TV by a former teammate has to stir up some anger/fire/motivation.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If they even have a STotS. Last time they had an embarrassing PO exit (1st round loss to Anaheim) they refused to hold one.

no no, they did. I called out patty and joe for being outplayed miserably by getzlaf and perry as the 2nd question on the session. naturally I got a roundabout answer, but it was fun. My dad was actually quoted asking about when joe will make this "his" team.

Interestingly, I think he has now...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no no, they did. I called out patty and joe for being outplayed miserably by getzlaf and perry as the 2nd question on the session. naturally I got a roundabout answer, but it was fun. My dad was actually quoted asking about when joe will make this "his" team.

Interestingly, I think he has now...

EDIT: You're right. It was after the Dallas series that they didn't hold one. I remember Boyle throwning Nabby under the bus for the loss to Anaheim now.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marleau never had a chance to clear the zone. He never got it out of his skates to his stick which is primarly why the turnover occurred. Knowing your surroundings requires some help from teammates. I'm sure it's a safe guess that Marleau thought he had more time than he actually did and nobody communicated to him that Datsyuk was pressuring from behind. Marleau's certainly not free of blame, once he couldn't get it cleanly to his stick he should have pinned it to the boards and given his teammates a chance to win the board battle, but people are making way too much of the turnover and not enough of the way, way, more grevious mistakes on that play like players just watching the puck (Seto and Thornton) and way out of position (White and Thornton).

The puck was in his skates, though, I feel he did have a chance to clear. I saw it again in slow mo on the telecast, not on DVR. I'll take what you said as a well informed breakdown. More than one player had to contribute to that entire sequence, just that Marleau's brainfart seemed most glaring to me.

I really want to think that JRs comments will spur Marleau on. Although a softie, the guy has some pride so I expect at least two games where we will see an inspired Marleau. I'm glad JR said what he did and I feel as though in the back of JRs mind, he did it to jumpstart Marleau.

madcap9999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
From Randy Hahn's FB status:

"Jeremy Roenick only cares about furthering his broadcasting career. His Marleau take was WAY over the line. Many bridges were burned"

Ooooooh snap!

I doubt that - JR's Twitter page is full of his comments saying he thinks PM is a GREAT player and he should be playing a helluva lot better, which is the truth. JR is also pulling for SJ - he called out Marleau because he wants SJ to win it all and knows they can't without him producing. Let's see how Patty reacts in Game 6.