• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT Champs at Cowards 8/16

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mea culpa on Panda, I didn't expect him to be this good again. I expected a midpoint between 2009 and 2010...which is actually not that far from what he's doing...

And I posted to that effect, that 2010 was the outlier (it seems) for Panda.

But c'mon, am I so wrong to consider Torres' 2010 an outlier too?

Torres was a AAAA / 5th OF his entire career until he BLEW up last year (out of the blue). Now he is getting starting OF ABs, but performing like a AAAA / 5th OFer again. I think he is confirming what he is.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Mea culpa on Panda, I didn't expect him to be this good again. I expected a midpoint between 2009 and 2010...which is actually not that far from what he's doing...

And I posted to that effect, that 2010 was the outlier (it seems) for Panda.

But c'mon, am I so wrong to consider Torres' 2010 an outlier too?

It's a bit of a coin toss.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are you holding up Cal? You went to The U, right?

Neg rep??????

Seriously, I am surprised it took this long. I went there in the mid-90s, during the probation years, and I ALWAYS knew when I was walking past the football apartments. All new, tricked out SUVs and BMWs. And most of the UM players were from the inner city, so no way that happened without some kind of shenanigans going on.

Death penalty will not happen because Da U has too many powerful alumni who will not let that happen, and a LOT of schools in NCAA are showing the same kind of tendencies.

I sense some kind of MAJOR changes coming to NCAA football as a whole...

What are the changes? I have no idea. I do not follow it nearly close enough to even venture a guess.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Torres was a AAAA / 5th OF his entire career until he BLEW up last year (out of the blue). Now he is getting starting OF ABs, but performing like a AAAA / 5th OFer again. I think he is confirming what he is.

He squared up a ton of balls last year. I don't consider that luck or something he can't get back to. That ability is in there, but whether he can get back to that state is questionable.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Neg rep??????

Seriously, I am surprised it took this long. I went there in the mid-90s, during the probation years, and I ALWAYS knew when I was walking past the football apartments. All new, tricked out SUVs and BMWs. And most of the UM players were from the inner city, so no way that happened without some kind of shenanigans going on.

Death penalty will not happen because Da U has too many powerful alumni who will not let that happen, and a LOT of schools in NCAA are showing the same kind of tendencies.

I sense some kind of MAJOR changes coming to NCAA football as a whole...

What are the changes? I have no idea. I do not follow it nearly close enough to even venture a guess.

I hope so, it's such a farce.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He squared up a ton of balls last year. I don't consider that luck or something he can't get back to. That ability is in there, but whether he can get back to that state is questionable.

He is also 32 yo with mental issues (not trying to be harsh, just stating facts). Can you expect any positive consistency from this?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He is also 32 yo with mental issues (not trying to be harsh, just stating facts). Can you expect any positive consistency from this?

He's focus issues and age are why I'd say it's a coin toss that he establishes 2010 as a sustainable level. He's got perhaps one more chance with the Giants to show it. But I can see him doing it, on the cheap, on some second tier AL team down the road.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier, I wrote up that I expected him to be gone from the team next year. I have since changed my mind on that. I believe he will be back, but at a discount price, and with him understanding that he will be the #4/#5 OFer instead of the starting CFer.

In that role, I think he will thrive, with the outlier that he steps up and takes the job as he did in '10.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to view every new season as if it's a book from an author I know well. I'm familiar with the prose, I know the typical plot devices, but it's always more enjoyable to just let it play out.

Now, if I'm the author of this season, here is where a player or two emerge as major characters. Brandon Belt is inserted into LF, plays spectacularly, and hits .360 coming home. Ross goes on one of his scorching streaks hitting 15 homeruns in 30 days. And the behind the scenes tragic hero figure will be Huff, who only the reader will know contributed greatly to the success of others - even as the fans clamor for his head.....

This.

Mad rep. Also, these guys NEVER give up. They were solidly playing to win last night and battled their asses off. They'll be in it down the stretch.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Earlier, I wrote up that I expected him to be gone from the team next year. I have since changed my mind on that. I believe he will be back, but at a discount price, and with him understanding that he will be the #4/#5 OFer instead of the starting CFer.

In that role, I think he will thrive, with the outlier that he steps up and takes the job as he did in '10.

Thomas Neal being gone have anything to do with that change?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This.

Mad rep. Also, these guys NEVER give up. They were solidly playing to win last night and battled their asses off. They'll be in it down the stretch.

That's the way I read it too.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thomas Neal being gone have anything to do with that change?

Partially.

Also just removing the label "starter" from my image of him. Even without his bat, he is a good #5 guy. And his regression should keep his price tag low, so he should be an easy sign. I had already penciled in a signing of a minor bu OF, but that isnt needed if we stay in-house and resign Towers...

Also, the more I think about CoCo, I think he makes a lot of sense as well, IF (IFIFIFIFIF) he signs a 1/7 or 2/12. Anything more than that, and thanks, but no thanks.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Towers is still a pretty fine defensive CF. He has good speed and range, but no cannon for an arm.

His problems are at the plate. :doh:

I think he looks confused. He wants to be a home run hitter. The Giants want him to get on base and set the table. He wants to swing that telephone pole of a bat, the Giants would prefer to see him shorten it a bit. He wants to be aggressive, the Giants (I hope) want him to be patient. So he is patient for a game or two, draws a walk, steals a base, scores a run or two. And than, BAM! He's back swinging for the fences. The guy has enough speed to steal 30 bases. But Bochy does not send him. And he cannot seem to read pitchers. But even so, raw talent ought to get him to 2nd most of the time. He just seems confused to me, and unable to settle on a style for himself.

I played with a guy in high school, (my position on the bench was left out), who in the first game senior year hit a towering homer to the opposite field off a filthy lefty who was throwing gas. Phil was a good hitter, but he was 0 for the rest of the season, because he suddenly thought, "I'm a home run hitter!" The moon shot of a homer ruined him. Wonder if the same happened to Towers. :yo:

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to view every new season as if it's a book from an author I know well. I'm familiar with the prose, I know the typical plot devices, but it's always more enjoyable to just let it play out.

Now, if I'm the author of this season, here is where a player or two emerge as major characters. Brandon Belt is inserted into LF, plays spectacularly, and hits .360 coming home. Ross goes on one of his scorching streaks hitting 15 homeruns in 30 days. And the behind the scenes tragic hero figure will be Huff, who only the reader will know contributed greatly to the success of others - even as the fans clamor for his head.....

I nominate gp for the J. G. Taylor Spink Award!

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE that book idea. Still praying it turns out like that.

If only it could a "choose your own adventure" book (anyone remember those??) that way we can hold out for an outcome we really like.

--- to sign Tejada, go to page 30.
--- to acquire JJ Hardy, go to page 31.

-page 30-
Tejada sucks.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only it could a "choose your own adventure" book (anyone remember those??) that way we can hold out for an outcome we really like.

--- to sign Tejada, go to page 30.
--- to acquire JJ Hardy, go to page 31.

-page 30-
Tejada sucks.

-Page 30-
Tejada sucks. Posey gets blown up.

-Page 31-
Hardy is good. Posey gets blown up.

Any REAL difference?

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-Page 30-
Tejada sucks. Posey gets blown up.

-Page 31-
Hardy is good. Posey gets blown up.

Any REAL difference?

Cousins bearing hard down the line...
Posey--
block the plate? Go to page 32
let Cousins have a window to slide through? Go to page 33

Both pages open up to that gif of play at home. :(

Real difference, guess not

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Cousins bearing hard down the line...
Posey--
block the plate? Go to page 32
let Cousins have a window to slide through? Go to page 33

Both pages open up to that gif of play at home. :(

Real difference, guess not

Deserves a rep, but the system says I've repped you too much lately.