• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT Champs at Cowards 8/16

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leaving aside the injuries for the moment, more than Ross and Huff, I think Torres regression has had the largest negative impact on the offense.

Wow - how did I miss Torres!!!!!! He's been so bad that I actually lost sight of him. I also tend to agree with Cal's assessment. I'm thinking that Torres is closer to what we see at the moment.

It just seems that if the other team puts up 3 runs we're in a lot of trouble. I've played some ball but never pitched. I can't imagine what it feels like taking the mound knowing that you really have very little, if any room for mistakes.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Quick pole...

Is Towers' regression mainly due to the fact that this is who he is, or due to a nagging injury?

I tend to think that this is closer to the real him, but maybe with a dash of nagging injury, just for flavor.

I don't think it's due to injuries, at least directly. But I don't think it's necessarily the "real him" either - it's more the result of trying to be more than he really was. I think we were all a little concerned in the preseason when Torres announced his goal of becoming more of a homerun hitter.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's due to injuries, at least directly. But I don't think it's necessarily the "real him" either - it's more the result of trying to be more than he really was. I think we were all a little concerned in the preseason when Torres announced his goal of becoming more of a homerun hitter.

Perhaps. but all last year we wondered how was he doing it, players at his age don't just go from scrubs to borderline allstars, was it a fluke?

Answer: yes it was

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I posted somehwere else, you can deal with some injuries, you can deal with some players regressing, but if you have both at the same time, you are probably toast.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I posted somehwere else, you can deal with some injuries, you can deal with some players regressing, but if you have both at the same time, you are probably toast.

Yes, but how about...

ALL players getting injured AND ALL players regressing?

This combination we see this year is really sick.

Let's not forget that before Posey went down, his numbers were well below what he demonstrated last year.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Perhaps. but all last year we wondered how was he doing it, players at his age don't just go from scrubs to borderline allstars, was it a fluke?

Answer: yes it was

A fluke is an accidental combination of mutually exclusive mistakes. I think last year was the result of learning how to hit, and this year is about learning to stay within himself. Unfortunately he's not 24 years old, so he isn't going to get another ten years and six thousand AB to show us who he really is.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but how about...

ALL players getting injured AND ALL players regressing?

This combination we see this year is really sick.

Let's not forget that before Posey went down, his numbers were well below what he demonstrated last year.

Well sure, my point is even more obvious with this year's Giants. It's a freaking miracle (and a testament to great managing and pitching, and a weak division, and AZ's own injuries) that we are still kind of in the hunt.

It's almost like the Baseball Gods weren't paying attention last year (after all why would they lift the 56 year sentence?), so now they are throwing mad thunderbolts at us to punish our insolence.

Too late, we got our ring. Fuck the Baseball Gods. Yep, I said it.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A fluke is an accidental combination of mutually exclusive mistakes. I think last year was the result of learning how to hit, and this year is about learning to stay within himself. Unfortunately he's not 24 years old, so he isn't going to get another ten years and six thousand AB to show us who he really is.

It's not a vocabulary argument. He had many ABs and years to show who he really is. 2011 is who he really is.

Just as it's becoming more clear that 2010 was the fluky year for Sandoval too, in the other direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's not a vocabulary argument. He had many ABs and years to show who he really is. 2011 is who he really is.

Just as it's becoming more clear that 2010 was the fluky year for Sandoval.

Just like 2010 pablo was who he really was?

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Living in NY I rarely get to see them play. Spend most of my time on MLB Gamecast. This year I was wondering about the chemistry of the team. Last year they seemed to click late in the year. The starters went 20ish games without giving up more than 2-3 earned runs and the bully was just unhittable. They seemed to lock-in to the role of a typical cinderalla team. Nobody believed in them and they didn't care. They rode that ride to a WS championship. This year just feels different. I think there are/were expections and it's taking a toll of sorts. I think it was MSG that had some earlier posts on just how difficult it is to repeat. I think most of us intellectually understand that but emotionally the 2011 season has been really stressful. I definitely had much higher expectations entering this season. I also thought that getting Beltran was a 'lock' for us making the playoffs. Now I'm not sure. Hopeful yes but it's not going to be easy.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Living in NY I rarely get to see them play. Spend most of my time on MLB Gamecast. This year I was wondering about the chemistry of the team. Last year they seemed to click late in the year. The starters went 20ish games without giving up more than 2-3 earned runs and the bully was just unhittable. They seemed to lock-in to the role of a typical cinderalla team. Nobody believed in them and they didn't care. They rode that ride to a WS championship. This year just feels different. I think there are/were expections and it's taking a toll of sorts. I think it was MSG that had some earlier posts on just how difficult it is to repeat. I think most of us intellectually understand that but emotionally the 2011 season has been really stressful. I definitely had much higher expectations entering this season. I also thought that getting Beltran was a 'lock' for us making the playoffs. Now I'm not sure. Hopeful yes but it's not going to be easy.

I tend to view every new season as if it's a book from an author I know well. I'm familiar with the prose, I know the typical plot devices, but it's always more enjoyable to just let it play out.

Now, if I'm the author of this season, here is where a player or two emerge as major characters. Brandon Belt is inserted into LF, plays spectacularly, and hits .360 coming home. Ross goes on one of his scorching streaks hitting 15 homeruns in 30 days. And the behind the scenes tragic hero figure will be Huff, who only the reader will know contributed greatly to the success of others - even as the fans clamor for his head.....

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was probably me and a few others, repeating is very hard, that's why it hasn't happened in over a decade.

But making the playoffs wasn't even debatable when the season started. Then injuries and regressions happened, and here we are. Beltran should have solidified our run to the playoffs, then he didn't do much and then he got hurt. And then a bunch MORE guys got hurt (Kepp, Janchez, Nate, Romo, etc)

calsnow had a great post about this at DumDum (pearls before swine, cal!):
ESPN.com: San Francisco Giants Message Board

I'm quite sure the Giants have NEVER had a year with this many injuries, and hardly ANY teams have. I wish there was a way to track this, but it feels like all of baseball has had more DL days this year than any year I can remember.

What feels different is simply that, it's an ER ward down there. Last year we were pretty healthy, and the injuries HELPED (MadBum coming in for Wellenmeyer, Torres for Rowand, etc). This year, obviously a different story.

So much sad. :smow:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to view every new season as if it's a book from an author I know well. I'm familiar with the prose, I know the typical plot devices, but it's always more enjoyable to just let it play out.

Now, if I'm the author of this season, here is where a player or two emerge as major characters. Brandon Belt is inserted into LF, plays spectacularly, and hits .360 coming home. Ross goes on one of his scorching streaks hitting 15 homeruns in 30 days. And the behind the scenes tragic hero figure will be Huff, who only the reader will know contributed greatly to the success of others - even as the fans clamor for his head.....

I LOVE that book idea. Still praying it turns out like that.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also LOVE the book idea. It's sort of what happened last year. Just different characters. Last year was just undescrible for us Giant fans. I never expected it and still had a hard time believing it as it unfolded before us. Two of your biggest plot twists from last year: SD goes into a 10 game free fall and Brooks Conrad enters stage left.
With 40 pages left in our newest book it's the DBacks courting Cinderella at the moment. Halladay fans 14 but the DBacks take it away in the 9th. SF drops its second heartbreaking game in two nights. But, there are 40 pages left to read ............

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I also LOVE the book idea. It's sort of what happened last year. Just different characters. Last year was just undescrible for us Giant fans. I never expected it and still had a hard time believing it as it unfolded before us. Two of your biggest plot twists from last year: SD goes into a 10 game free fall and Brooks Conrad enters stage left.
With 40 pages left in our newest book it's the DBacks courting Cinderella at the moment. Halladay fans 14 but the DBacks take it away in the 9th. SF drops its second heartbreaking game in two nights. But, there are 40 pages left to read ............

Perfect!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was probably me and a few others, repeating is very hard, that's why it hasn't happened in over a decade.

But making the playoffs wasn't even debatable when the season started. Then injuries and regressions happened, and here we are. Beltran should have solidified our run to the playoffs, then he didn't do much and then he got hurt. And then a bunch MORE guys got hurt (Kepp, Janchez, Nate, Romo, etc)

calsnow had a great post about this at DumDum (pearls before swine, cal!):
ESPN.com: San Francisco Giants Message Board

I'm quite sure the Giants have NEVER had a year with this many injuries, and hardly ANY teams have. I wish there was a way to track this, but it feels like all of baseball has had more DL days this year than any year I can remember.

What feels different is simply that, it's an ER ward down there. Last year we were pretty healthy, and the injuries HELPED (MadBum coming in for Wellenmeyer, Torres for Rowand, etc). This year, obviously a different story.

So much sad. :smow:

Thanks for the link and the nod, but I have to give the idea credit to Baggs. He posted almost the same thing on his Blog last night...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, msg you knew you were going to catch some flak if Pablo became the Panda again, right? At least its for a good cause :)

Mea culpa on Panda, I didn't expect him to be this good again. I expected a midpoint between 2009 and 2010...which is actually not that far from what he's doing...

And I posted to that effect, that 2010 was the outlier (it seems) for Panda.

But c'mon, am I so wrong to consider Torres' 2010 an outlier too?

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thanks for the link and the nod, but I have to give the idea credit to Baggs. He posted almost the same thing on his Blog last night...

How are you holding up Cal? You went to The U, right?