• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT: 49ers vs Bengals

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, we gotta learn to go for the dagger. We can't afford to sit on leads with this secondary. I hope we don't see any more of that 3-man rush with 8 in coverage. We don't have the cover guys for that.

Agreed. I'd rather see them go down putting heat on the QB with a blitz on every play instead of sitting back and getting picked apart because of a three-man rush

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things i wanna see:

-Aldon making the most of his time and making some plays hopefully getting first sack.
-Getting kendall hunter in the game and putting him in space.
-Bruce miller playing good and putting norris on the bench.
-Crabtree/Davis/Gore having a solid game.
-Pressure pressure pressure andy dalton, should only help the secondary.
-Some more kyle Williams as well, and put Ginn in the slot and see if he can blow past some people on a fly route why is his speed not being used on those if even to keep the D honest.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
=Mozart'sGhost;1145194, =MW49ers5;1143256

Here is some fuel for the fire - Cin is currently ranked 7th in pass defense (204yds/gm) - Can you say 8-in-the-box!

Ha ha. If Smith can't throw successfully against "8 in the box" then the Niners are done for. If the Bengals do stay with 8 in the box at will that means they are dictating to our offense what we can do instead of vice versa. I believe that the 49ers will never get over the hump until their formations and plays dictate to the defense what they must do to try and counter it..

Yep! Keep in mind 4-7 of those 8 are going to be spending half their day on our side of the ball.

We pretty much announced to the world in our 1st pre-season game and confirmed this past Sunday that we have an o'line which struggles against the blitz and a QB that has no idea what one looks like. And, as if that is not enough, our HC stands on the sidelines and wonders what those two lights are that appear to be getting closer.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep! Keep in mind 4-7 of those 8 are going to be spending half their day on our side of the ball.

We pretty much announced to the world in our 1st pre-season game and confirmed this past Sunday that we have an o'line which struggles against the blitz and a QB that has no idea what one looks like. And, as if that is not enough, our HC stands on the sidelines and wonders what those two lights are that appear to be getting closer.

Someone brought that to my attention earlier as well and it struck me that you never do see Smith standing up and barking out directions and pointing to who is coming like you see from the likes of Manning, Brady and other successful QBs. When I thought abbout it, I don't remember ever seeing Smith do that unless I wasn't paying attention.

As for that look on Harbaugh's face, I saw that with Nolan a lot. God I hope we are wrong.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Someone brought that to my attention earlier as well and it struck me that you never do see Smith standing up and barking out directions and pointing to who is coming like you see from the likes of Manning, Brady and other successful QBs. When I thought abbout it, I don't remember ever seeing Smith do that unless I wasn't paying attention.

As for that look on Harbaugh's face, I saw that with Nolan a lot. God I hope we are wrong.

You can see him do it in one of the sack plays (3rd Q I believe) when Dal faked ILB blitz.

He was frantically pointing and making sure his OL was going to pick it up. Play didn't work out because Dal dropped out of it, but he was changing things pre-snap in this game. I think the last few years he wasn't allowed to do this type of thing which is utterly absurd.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've seen him do that quite a lot over the years, but I don't know if he's effective or accurate at all in his understanding. I think he does it less obviously (and of course, not as well) as Manning, to the point that I thought, is that doing anything? It appears as if he's pointing from behind the oline when they have their heads upfield. They can't see his hands, though the receiver's can. Then again, I've never played on an offensive line.

Still, if he hasn't done that, I wouldn't be surprised if his previous coaches didn't coach him well on it. I don't think they should expect him not to have at least a raw ability to do it. I think he will pick it up this season as much as he's going to. May not be good enough, but I expect that's one of the million things they are working on with him.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually i think i have seen him do it a few times this year, which is more than usual. Of course not like the other QB's but he has on some plays. Its only been 2 games with Harb, lets not put him in the Nolan/Sing category yet. While we can def make the playoffs this year, Harbs time will be next year when he gets all offseason to implement the system and get the players he wants.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You can see him do it in one of the sack plays (3rd Q I believe) when Dal faked ILB blitz.

He was frantically pointing and making sure his OL was going to pick it up. Play didn't work out because Dal dropped out of it, but he was changing things pre-snap in this game. I think the last few years he wasn't allowed to do this type of thing which is utterly absurd.

Ya. I figured I probably just wasn't paying close enough attention.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've seen him do that quite a lot over the years, but I don't know if he's effective or accurate at all in his understanding. I think he does it less obviously (and of course, not as well) as Manning, to the point that I thought, is that doing anything? It appears as if he's pointing from behind the oline when they have their heads upfield. They can't see his hands, though the receiver's can. Then again, I've never played on an offensive line.

Still, if he hasn't done that, I wouldn't be surprised if his previous coaches didn't coach him well on it. I don't think they should expect him not to have at least a raw ability to do it. I think he will pick it up this season as much as he's going to. May not be good enough, but I expect that's one of the million things they are working on with him.

I think that is one thing you have to keep in mind with Smith; he has had a series of inept head and position coaches

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Actually i think i have seen him do it a few times this year, which is more than usual. Of course not like the other QB's but he has on some plays. Its only been 2 games with Harb, lets not put him in the Nolan/Sing category yet. While we can def make the playoffs this year, Harbs time will be next year when he gets all offseason to implement the system and get the players he wants.

I'm going to try and be patient with harbaugh but patience with my sports teams is not my strong point.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait for the game tomorrow. Hoping for a better outcome then last week. And that I can find a good working link. Hit and miss sometimes

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Re: Smith, one of the primary problems with all the OCs is that he's always bogged down trying to figure out the offense instead of trying to figure out the defense. But it's also worth noting that the Cowboys got most of their pressure off four-man rushes last week.

At this point, teams are still dictating to us. It's hard to apportion blame between the coaching, the OL, the receivers and Smith. Certainly all deserve some, and Smith probably deserves a lot. But it's hard to say as none of our QBs have exactly flourished over the last decade or so.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Three to Focus on - 49ers @ Bengals | ProFootballFocus.com

Smith, who leads 3-4 ends with a +12.8 rating (next best being +6.3)

How do they hope to do it? Well, they need Andrew Whitworth to bring his ***8220;A***8221; game. The franchise left tackle was our top-ranked player at the spot last year, and has gotten off to a solid, if not spectacular start. Unfortunately, Smith won***8217;t just be going up against him, but lines up against the left guard just as much. And that left guard just happens to be Nate Livings. Oh dear. Livings was our 54th-ranked guard last year and, after two games in 2011, finds himself in the same spot. The prospect of Livings going up against Smith should set some alarm bells ringing in the head of Andy Dalton, who has a -2.5 grade when pressured.

The 49ers***8217; right tackle (-3.6) hasn***8217;t had the best start to 2011 (following up a rough rookie year), and could be there for the taking. If there***8217;s a consolation for the 49ers, it***8217;s just how good Alex Smith has been under pressure. Completing a healthy 53.8% of passes with pass rushers nearing, Smith is averaging more yards per attempt (7.7) when pressured then when he is not. He also has a better rating (+4.0) when pressured. So Davis may get beat, but perhaps it won***8217;t matter all that much if Smith can cope with it the way he has through the opening two games of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
4 hrs and counting. We better win this game. Go Seahawks and Ravens!

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well guys lets hope for a good game! Good luck and enjoy ur day!!:)
Tiger1.gif

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Three to Focus on - 49ers @ Bengals | ProFootballFocus.com

Smith, who leads 3-4 ends with a +12.8 rating (next best being +6.3)

How do they hope to do it? Well, they need Andrew Whitworth to bring his ***8220;A***8221; game. The franchise left tackle was our top-ranked player at the spot last year, and has gotten off to a solid, if not spectacular start. Unfortunately, Smith won***8217;t just be going up against him, but lines up against the left guard just as much. And that left guard just happens to be Nate Livings. Oh dear. Livings was our 54th-ranked guard last year and, after two games in 2011, finds himself in the same spot. The prospect of Livings going up against Smith should set some alarm bells ringing in the head of Andy Dalton, who has a -2.5 grade when pressured.

The 49ers***8217; right tackle (-3.6) hasn***8217;t had the best start to 2011 (following up a rough rookie year), and could be there for the taking. If there's a consolation for the 49ers, it's just how good Alex Smith has been under pressure. Completing a healthy 53.8% of passes with pass rushers nearing, Smith is averaging more yards per attempt (7.7) when pressured then when he is not. He also has a better rating (+4.0) when pressured. So Davis may get beat, but perhaps it won***8217;t matter all that much if Smith can cope with it the way he has through the opening two games of the season.

Hmmmmm, you don't say. Still far from great, but improved.

uclabruin094

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's time to stop knocking Smith. He has done well this year. So what if he hasn't thrown for a billion yards. He has really helped move the offense. This is one of the better offenses we've had while Smith has been here, and that's without our running game being remotely effective. If we can get Kendall Hunter in and have him find some space, the change of pace between Gore and Hunter will definitely keep defenses on their toes. If we can tighten up our secondary, I think there is definitely a shot we can make a great run this year.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers inactives:

Tolzien, Edwards, Norris, Kilgore, Person, I. Williams, Dobbs