• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gay football players coming out now

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I would say "No" for the simple fact that's why were all on here. WE have different tastes and that's what makes some topics some great conversations...

Agreed. Anonymity is a wonderful thing in today's world.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have no problem cheering for my team if there was an openly gay player on it. I am a fan of the team, not the race, creed, color, sexual orientation or anything else of the players.

If the player can play and help the team win, that's what matters. The rest is none of my business.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have no problem cheering for my team if there was an openly gay player on it. I am a fan of the team, not the race, creed, color, sexual orientation or anything else of the players.

If the player can play and help the team win, that's what matters. The rest is none of my business.

Agreed. That being said, why even mention a personal snippet into ones life? Openly straight men don't go to lengths to let us all know.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. That being said, why even mention a personal snippet into ones life? Openly straight men don't go to lengths to let us all know.

I'm sure there opinion for bring it out is the simple fact of awareness ( and no I'm not saying he's telling teammates he's gonna stare at them in the locker room) but that his approach is, "hey I gay" and playing football...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: Personally, I think we know way too much about players personal lives. I'd like to see the day when athletes and other celebs don't need to announce their sexuality because it doesn't matter. If a players personal life doesn't affect his performance on the field, then it's none of my business.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we seem to have no problem with football players who beat their girlfriends, get involved in shootings, cheat, steal, commit perjury, sexually abuse women, take bribes, smoke dope, snort coke, steal computers, run dog fighting rings, beat up helpless bystanders into bloody pulps, and commit r*pe [err, "consensual" forced relations that the prosecutor decides to ignore]. Gosh, we even give fellows like this the the Heisman Trophy.

But we have a problem with a player who likes other men? And suddenly the best defensive player in the best conference in the nation may slip down to the 5th round or lower? Gosh, maybe he should just say that his boyfriend is imaginary.
:scratch:

He wasn't projected to go in the 1st 2 rounds. In fact, I think I read/heard he was 4th round material. Also, it's questionable about the SEC being the best conference this year.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were his teammate and you made a good play, then he came along and gave you the ole congratulatory pat on the ass, would you wonder?

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to step out on a limb here, correct me if I'm wrong. I detect in all of the anti-gay slurs in this thread more than a little bit of uneasiness. It's almost like some of the posters here have to post those remarks to prove that, "by God, I'm not gay!"

Again, I have a much bigger problem with rapists, cheats, thieves, abusers, liars, and other common criminals in the NFL. Who gives a damn what someone's personal preference is, unless of course, you have an issue with this? Ah, that might indeed be the problem here.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that some think that all of the collegiate and pro athletes coming out is overkill, but it's probably a tremendous help to a lot of youngsters.

For the people who think all of the gay athletes coming out is overkill, this kid's story is relevant.

His name is Matt Kaplon, and he's a star catcher at Drew University who just recently came out to his coach (who is like a 2nd father) and the rest of his team.

He was inspired by another college player (Derek Schell, a basketball player) who came out with his story. Kaplon forged a friendship with him, and said:

"And just hearing from someone who had an understanding of what I'm going through made all the difference. Derek took me in, almost as a younger brother. He saved my life."

The coming out publicly by high profile athletes does matter, and is important for a population of youngsters who might not have an outlet or support of any type. It's magnified for athletes, I'm sure.

It's also why what David Ortiz said today was excellent, IMO.

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/...es_sports_heading_in_the_right_direction.html

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to step out on a limb here, correct me if I'm wrong. I detect in all of the anti-gay slurs in this thread more than a little bit of uneasiness. It's almost like some of the posters here have to post those remarks to prove that, "by God, I'm not gay!"

Again, I have a much bigger problem with rapists, cheats, thieves, abusers, liars, and other common criminals in the NFL. Who gives a damn what someone's personal preference is, unless of course, you have an issue with this? Ah, that might indeed be the problem here.

That's such a simpleminded way of looking at things. "Oh, you're uncomfortable with homosexuality? That means you're concerned you might be attracted to men or that men might consider you gay." It's an obtuse observation and one that is easily discredited.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or...maybe the person that pretends to have an issue with the people who have an issue is really posturing because they have an issue with their own sexuality....

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I realize that some think that all of the collegiate and pro athletes coming out is overkill, but it's probably a tremendous help to a lot of youngsters.

The coming out publicly by high profile athletes does matter, and is important for a population of youngsters who might not have an outlet or support of any type. It's magnified for athletes, I'm sure.

D'Alessandro: Drew catcher tells his team he's gay, sees sports 'heading in the right direction' | NJ.com

Valid point, one which I didn't really consider when I have said more than once that I thought all this coming out was unnecessary.

To the person who asked if I would stop rooting for my team if they had a gay player. I personally could not give a single fuck if every player at Alabama was gay...as long as they were the best 85 guys we could get on scholly. In fact, if the best 20-30 kids in the country were all gay in a given recruiting class, I would be pissed off if we were not recruiting every single one of them. If somehow sucking dick were to drop your 40 time by .2 seconds I would advocate asking the straight ones if they had really given homosexuality a chance...

That last part has hyperbole, but I think you get the point...no pun intended.