• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gary Anderson new Beaver coach.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The finalists for the head coaching job at Wisconsin are:

Will Muschamp
John Gruden
Charlie Weiss
Lou Holtz
Lane Kiffen

:bolt:
You left out Charlie Weiss.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not satisfied yet...

Get the Badgers DC as well..pay the guy at the top of the DC scale and get him in Corvallis ASAP. I love his Hawaiian ties for recruiting as Oregon State has a huge student/athlete ties to the islands and has for decades.

Bring Dave A on back to the west coast. :suds:

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Get the Badgers DC as well..pay the guy at the top of the DC scale and get him in Corvallis ASAP. I love his Hawaiian ties for recruiting as Oregon State has a huge student/athlete ties to the islands and has for decades.

Losing Arranda would hurt a lot more than Gary.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He also could teach hula dancing.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were moving fast out west...

Zach Nyborg, BYU director of football operations, reportedly joining Gary Andersen's staff at Oregon State | OregonLive.com

Football Operations guy in charge at BYU is now headed to Corvallis to be with his friend Gary A...guys young to, BRING IT!

Former Utah State beat writer discusses what Oregon State Beavers fans can expect from Gary Andersen | OregonLive.com

Hawaiian connection and the west coast? BINGO!

Do you think his desire to run more of a spread offense played a factor in his decision to come to OSU?

"Knowing him, his Polynesian pipeline is really huge. I think that works better out west and would work better in the Pac-12 than it did in that dynamic at Wisconsin. I also have heard various rumors floating around as to why he left. You know, issues with the administration on certain things. But he's huge with the Polynesian pipeline. He's a big believer in junior college recruiting as well. I just think that his recruiting ties are mostly western based. So I think that all of those factors could've come into play in terms of why he left."

Concerning Badger DC D Aranda...Utah writer that has followed GA during his days @ Utah State had good things to say about GA and DA...

Obviously his coaching history rests on the defensive side of the football. How involved was he with his defenses at Utah State?

"The year before he hired Dave Aranda to be the defensive coordinator, he was actually coaching the defense. So historically he's been a defensive coach. When he did hire Dave Aranda (in 2012), Aranda was a guy who brings consistent pressure and leaves your cornerbacks on an island. It's the exact same thing that Gary has always believed in, and that Gary always coached when he was at Utah. Gary's always been a traditional defense-first guy. I know he takes real pride in what happens on that side of the ball. He's usually pretty hands off with his offense."

Aranda is definitely a rising star as a defensive coordinator. What were your impressions of Aranda at Utah State?
"I worked with him for one year. He was a quiet guy, really nice and really polite. As a media member, you're not going to get a whole lot out of him. But I thought he did a great job in his one year at Utah State. Now that team had some real defensive talent on it. That team Aranda coached had two NFL cornerbacks, they had great linebacker play and they had good guys up front. I mean, it was a defense that was built before he got there and had been really successful. He did really well with it. He's going to pressure you, he's going to blitz a lot, he's going to come up with a lot of exciting packages. If they can get the personnel that they want in there, you should expect a lot of 4-3-4 sets."

Would you expect Andersen to bring Aranda with him to OSU?
"Unless he gets a head coaching job, I would say he would follow Gary to Corvallis. I'm not altogether sure how the 59-0 loss to Ohio State looks on Dave, but I know he's seen as a rising star. I wouldn't be surprised if, even if it doesn't happen this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he does get a job somewhere."

What a PERFECT COACH to come to Corvallis, OSU AD Bob DeC has done his homework well.

Gawd is this guy going to work out well here, just get your DC here too. The puzzle is a clear as it needs to be for me.

WOOT WOOT! :yahoo:

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alvarez must be running a gong show in Madison

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone wins here. Anderson gets to go to a school where he can coach his way, his scheme, his staff, etc. and Wisky now gets a new HC that will kowtow to the almighty Alvarez and do his bidding since he is already accustomed to that given their history together.

No one comes out a loser here.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone wins here. Anderson gets to go to a school where he can coach his way, his scheme, his staff, etc. and Wisky now gets a new HC that will kowtow to the almighty Alvarez and do his bidding since he is already accustomed to that given their history together.

No one comes out a loser here.
The kids who went to Wisconsin to play for Anderson

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kids who went to Wisconsin to play for Anderson

Given that Anderson was forced to do things Avarez's way, I don't see that transition being a problem for the kids already there. They say every year don't go to a school just because of a coach because you never know if they are going to be there for all 4-5 of your years and that is becoming more and more true every year. Hell, is there a coach in the Pac that has been with their team for a full 5 years now? Well Utah maybe, but they weren't Pac that whole time either.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given that Anderson was forced to do things Avarez's way, I don't see that transition being a problem for the kids already there. They say every year don't go to a school just because of a coach because you never know if they are going to be there for all 4-5 of your years and that is becoming more and more true every year. Hell, is there a coach in the Pac that has been with their team for a full 5 years now? Well Utah maybe, but they weren't Pac that whole time either.
That's a good point, it just sucks for the kids who liked thier coach and now he's jumped ship. They'll get over it and I am sure they didn't go to Madison just for that reason.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure there will be a transition for the beavers on defense, but I think he wants to run more of the spread offense so doubt that will be a problem for the kids who were at OSU for Riley. Alvarez has a tight grip on wisky and chryst isn't going to rock that boat so I doubt things change much there either, making an easy transition.

These things are never easy, but when you have a huge change in philosophy along with personnel it can take years to get the ship upright. Don't see that happening to either program here.

Far more interested to see how the Riley transition works. What is he going to do with Nebraska brand football given his background with a more west coast style? That one has a chance to go south before it gets better.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I first heard he was leaving, it was a bit of a shock. Then the details start to come in (especially regarding our academic standards being too tough) and it makes me feel better and better about the situation.

This move wasn't about him using Wisconsin to get a better job. It was about him not being a good enough recruiter or coach to be successful at a program with tough academic standards. I'm sorry, if you are willing to leave a program because of academic standards hurting your recruiting, you aren't cut out to coach student-athletes. I would much rather keep our academic standards in place and lose him, than the other way around.

If we end up with either of Bevell or Chryst as our HC, and retain Arranda as the DC, this could turn out really, really well.

All the reasons people suspected he left are explained here. Andersen really likes Aranda.

Why did Gary Andersen leave Wisconsin?: Oregon State Beavers rundown | OregonLive.com

Assistant Coaching salaries
Meddling Alvarez

I listened to Andersen this morning on some radio program, let's call it "Ike and Ike," and he denied any rift with Alvarez or the standards being too difficult, but he DID say that he was looking forward to being able to recruit and sign JUCO players. That, to me, is a clear indicator that he does not think he can be competitive in Madison with the tighter stds.

One of the Ike's asked him outright about the asst. coaching salaries, but he completely dodged that Q.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I listened to Andersen this morning on some radio program, let's call it "Ike and Ike," and he denied any rift with Alvarez or the standards being too difficult, but he DID say that he was looking forward to being able to recruit and sign JUCO players. That, to me, is a clear indicator that he does not think he can be competitive in Madison with the tighter stds.

One of the Ike's asked him outright about the asst. coaching salaries, but he completely dodged that Q.

I'm sure it wasn't the only reason he left. And it may not have been the biggest reason either. But once I heard that, my stance on the situation totally changed.

I also don't think moving to a spread offense is really feasible for us. The reason we can be so competitive on a yearly basis without getting top recruits is that Wisconsin consistently produces great offensive lineman. That isn't the case with QBs and WRs. So I can definitely see him getting some push back on moving to a spread style offense, but I think pro style fits us best.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said he intends to have a defensive-minded team – he was a defensive coordinator at Utah from 2005 to 2008 and spent most of his years as a college assistant as a defensive coach.

Andersen voiced his intention to have a multi-dimensional offense, including quarterbacks, which something Oregon State hasn’t had in a long time.

“Lastly we want to be able to put ourselves in a position with the quarterback that the quarterback has to be accounted for in three ways: with his arm, with his legs and with his mind,” Andersen said.

Gary Andersen makes introduction as OSU coach
:yes:

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, MrWallace2KU do you want Mike Riley, the coach that you have talked unicorns and rainbows about since he was hired by Nebraska, or are you happy with Gary Andersen over Mike Riley? There is no gray area in this question. Which coach do you want between the two?

No bullshit answer, just two words, the first name and the last name.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, MrWallace2KU do you want Mike Riley, the coach that you have talked unicorns and rainbows about since he was hired by Nebraska, or are you happy with Gary Andersen over Mike Riley? There is no gray area in this question. Which coach do you want between the two?

No bullshit answer, just two words, the first name and the last name.

Gary Anderson.

I'll tell why next year.