• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's been so long since I have read them I feel like I should see what I think about them now since I have read many better fantasy novels since then.

I waited a couple of months after the series to buy GOT. The reason I am disappointed is that you learn nothing new from the book. For reading pleasure, I want details, characters' thoughts and at least a detailed description of the scenes. I am not saying the story is bad, just that Martin's style does not suit my interest. IMHO Clancy was the best at this and I cannot find authors with a similar style.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I waited a couple of months after the series to buy GOT. The reason I am disappointed is that you learn nothing new from the book. For reading pleasure, I want details, characters' thoughts and at least a detailed description of the scenes. I am not saying the story is bad, just that Martin's style does not suit my interest. IMHO Clancy was the best at this and I cannot find authors with a similar style.
I feel like you get a good feel for the characters from the books, but the problem is that season 1 was so "from the book" that it is hard to really find the differences. As you go through the series, it becomes much more evident.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like you get a good feel for the characters from the books, but the problem is that season 1 was so "from the book" that it is hard to really find the differences. As you go through the series, it becomes much more evident.

I try to let books stand alone from shows/movies. The book tells a good story but I crave the details of the moment ... sights, smells, the atmosphere, thoughts and reactions both expressed and hidden. I am not knocking the books but saying the writing style does not hold my attention.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I try to let books stand alone from shows/movies. The book tells a good story but I crave the details of the moment ... sights, smells, the atmosphere, thoughts and reactions both expressed and hidden. I am not knocking the books but saying the writing style does not hold my attention.
really? if anything I thought Martin overdid it with the details. One of the biggest criticisms is that he is too detail oriented in his books. He goes pages describing the food out on the table and all that stuff.

I am surprised that you are feeling that way about his writing.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really? if anything I thought Martin overdid it with the details. One of the biggest criticisms is that he is too detail oriented in his books. He goes pages describing the food out on the table and all that stuff.

I am surprised that you are feeling that way about his writing.

I am past page 600 in GOT and have yet to see that. I don't think I have even seen a detailed description of any castle nor room. Not that it needs to be an all at once description, but when a scene happens in the throne room … tell me a little about a banner someone is standing by or how a particular material was chosen. At the end of the book, I want to be able to close my eyes and visualize the room.

Like I say, I am not knocking Martin at all because the story is great enough that I am reading in a genre that I have never really liked.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am past page 600 in GOT and have yet to see that. I don't think I have even seen a detailed description of any castle nor room. Not that it needs to be an all at once description, but when a scene happens in the throne room … tell me a little about a banner someone is standing by or how a particular material was chosen. At the end of the book, I want to be able to close my eyes and visualize the room.

Like I say, I am not knocking Martin at all because the story is great enough that I am reading in a genre that I have never really liked.
see I got a very good feel for that when I read them, but that was at least 10 years ago.

Proud_Okie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just finished re-reading the books a couple of weeks ago for the 4th time. I like Martin's style, but he does tend to get bogged down in some little details. For me, I always thought he painted a very vivid picture.

Just started A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms the other day for the first time.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see I got a very good feel for that when I read them, but that was at least 10 years ago.

AND

I just finished re-reading the books a couple of weeks ago for the 4th time. I like Martin's style, but he does tend to get bogged down in some little details. For me, I always thought he painted a very vivid picture.

Just started A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms the other day for the first time.

I was never really into fiction at all when I was younger, or still for that matter. To Kill A Mockingbird was probably my favorite read until The Hunt of Red October. Cardinal of the Kremlin is probably my fiction favorite.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They deserve no awards for the shit they made me wait that long for...
That show will go down in history has the greatest television show with the most epic fail wind down and conclusion. They just mailed it in at the end. Joke.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just finished re-reading the books a couple of weeks ago for the 4th time.
giphy.gif

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ill and @Proud_Okie I should say as well that even though I try to let books stand apart from shows, season one follows the book so close that there is no real questions about characters and their motives left unanswered. That may be a large factor for me as well because the real enjoyment I have reading books comes more from the second reading on where I can pick up on things that I missed or dismissed on the first.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree.

Martin reminds me of Tolkien in that they both go for maximum verbosity.
It's one thing to be detail-oriented, but it's another to use 5 pages to state what should have only taken 1 or 2.

Clancy is very direct and to the point. The details enhance the scene.

Proud_Okie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ill and @Proud_Okie I should say as well that even though I try to let books stand apart from shows, season one follows the book so close that there is no real questions about characters and their motives left unanswered. That may be a large factor for me as well because the real enjoyment I have reading books comes more from the second reading on where I can pick up on things that I missed or dismissed on the first.
Yep. I've noticed something I had previously missed with every read. Of course with eleventy godzillion pages it's pretty easy to miss or forget something.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know, haha.

Eh. I'm just busting stones. I used to read Golding's Lord of the Flies every year. Did that for probably 7-10 years, I'm guessing. Seems like you always find something new in good books as your perception changes.

I also used to watch Band of Brothers every year in the fall/winter.