• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't purgatory all along. I have no idea how that was your take away. They literally had Christian tell you as much in the final episode.
Then it was BS writing. Showrunners who explain things with spirituality and magic don’t get a free pass. The show was simply poorly written, expertly acted and sold well to the public.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A rose by any other name.

The Island wasn't Purgatory (in the early seasons), but the last couple seasons were. It existed for the same purpose as Purgatory.

It was Urgatorypay.
There was only one season that had that element in it and it was only partially AND it verified that everything that happened on the island literally happened on the island. If the stuff that was shown on the island actually happened then you can't make any argument that the show was purgatory.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then it was BS writing. Showrunners who explain things with spirituality and magic don’t get a free pass. The show was simply poorly written, expertly acted and sold well to the public.

Obviously the island had special powers to raise the dead (Christian sort of) heal the paralyzed (Locke) which is why Locke was sold on the island from day one.

I get the old Man in Black/Jacob story is a lot to untangle but is it any harder to believe than actual religion?

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you talking about? The island clearly had significant amounts of magical elements to it. If you didn't like that at the end then why did you like it at the beginning?

This still doesn't validate your erroneous complaint that the whole thing was purgatory.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to rewatch episode 5 again without being angry and it was otherwise a very entertaining episode.

Really? Did they completely re-write both Jaime and Cersei the second time around?

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously the island had special powers to raise the dead (Christian sort of) heal the paralyzed (Locke) which is why Locke was sold on the island from day one.

I get the old Man in Black/Jacob story is a lot to untangle but is it any harder to believe than actual religion?
Religion is also poor storytelling. It’s a magical island that can’t be found, the people there go through their own tribulations, and move onto the next world based on their conduct. Purgatory.

The producers telling me later that Ben and Hurley are still running the island doesn’t substitute for a satisfactory end.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you talking about? The island clearly had significant amounts of magical elements to it. If you didn't like that at the end then why did you like it at the beginning?

This still doesn't validate your erroneous complaint that the whole thing was purgatory.
It's not erroneous. The writing doesn't support that the place wasn't Purgatory. The only thing countering such a claim is that the producers claimed it, AFTER the the show concluded. Largely because of frustration over such a crappy ending.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Religion is also poor storytelling. It’s a magical island that can’t be found, the people there go through their own tribulations, and move onto the next world based on their conduct. Purgatory.

The producers telling me later that Ben and Hurley are still running the island doesn’t substitute for a satisfactory end.

They said in the show Ben and Hurley stayed back

The Walt thing was an after story

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to throw this out there.

A lot of people are talking about Dany's story arc and how it felt unearned. I tend to disagree and I think that if Season 7 and 8 were one whole season as originally planned it would have made a lot more sense. But ultimately this was always a plausible story arc for her in the show and in the books.

IMO, the character that really gets shit on is Jon at least when you compare book Jon to show Jon.

Book Jon was a young strong leader that people wanted to follow or resented. Show Jon was a broody bitch who people inexplicably listened to.

Book Jon was a go getter who took on responsible to get things done because no one else would do it but didn't have the suicide death wish he seemed to have in the show.

IMO, of all the characters in the books and show, Jon was the most dramatically different and not in a good way. Oddly enough, Jaime would probably be No. 2.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not erroneous. The writing doesn't support that the place wasn't Purgatory. The only thing countering such a claim is that the producers claimed it, AFTER the the show concluded. Largely because of frustration over such a crappy ending.
There was nothing to indicate the island was purgatory and again, it was literally stated in the show for people who were misunderstanding that for whatever reason. Just because you misunderstood it somehow doesn't make it so.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was nothing to indicate the island was purgatory and again, it was literally stated in the show for people who were misunderstanding that for whatever reason. Just because you misunderstood it somehow doesn't make it so.
You win. It was an awesome show. All the people who thought the ending (and therefore the premise) was stupid, simply couldn't see the obscure plotline hidden in there. Uh huh. Sure.

Back to GoT.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You win. It was an awesome show. All the people who thought the ending (and therefore the premise) was stupid, simply couldn't see the obscure plotline hidden in there. Uh huh. Sure.

Back to GoT.
You can have complaints about a show without completely making up a large complaint. Just because I corrected your misinterpretation doesn't mean I thought the show was perfect .

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can have complaints about a show without completely making up a large complaint.
I'm not making it up. The show's ending sucked. Game of Thrones was sloppy and had bad writing in the final season, but at least no one is confused about major plot elements' disposition.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not making it up. The show's ending sucked. Game of Thrones was sloppy and had bad writing in the final season, but at least no one is confused about major plot elements' disposition.
You made up the whole island was purgatory thing. That did not happen.