• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
42bc0c211br21.jpg

And:

Dany after finding out Jon is a Targaryen.
bryryvdr8fr21.jpg

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any interest in a separate GoT thread for predictions on the characters and storylines?

Who survives/dies
Who rules Winterfell/Kings Landing/etc.

Thoughts?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. I've got a few pet theories, but I'm not married to them. I just hope it doesn't have a lame deus ex machina type ending. But despite the 'big bad' of the WW's, GRRM usually keeps things pretty grounded.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. I've got a few pet theories, but I'm not married to them. I just hope it doesn't have a lame deus ex machina type ending. But despite the 'big bad' of the WW's, GRRM usually keeps things pretty grounded.

That's the thing.
Showrunners could vary wildly from what GRRM writes in his books.
Think they'll go grim and stay true to the bittersweet ending?

I think we all have our favorite characters, but I'd be curious to know what folks think will happen to side characters like Bronn, Brienne, Podrick, etc.

And will we get Clegane Bowl???

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing.

I think we all have our favorite characters, but I'd be curious to know what folks think will happen to side characters like Bronn, Brienne, Podrick, etc.

From what I understand, GRRM and the showrunners had meetings about his plans for the rest of the story once it became clear the show would pass the books. For all we know, GRRM will change what he does in the books based on how certain things that made it into the show were/are received.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing.

Yeah, that was part of the deal from jump, and they're both big fans of his, so outside of some re-writing to save time, (IE: drastically cutting down on Dorne), they'll be pretty much in tune with the notes GRRM gave them for how it's going to end.

And to even attempt to write something as ponderous and cast of millions as ASOIAF, you HAVE to write from notes and/or an outline, there's no way to just write and see where the story takes you.

Kind of funny, because I knew that the two guys who wrote 'The Expanse,' were in GRRM's S.W. writers group, but I just recently read that they'd WORKED for Martin, basically helping him keep track of continuity in the later books. So that's how hard it is to write something that big, you need people to help you keep your shit straight.

So needless to say Benioff and Weiss have had outlines of how it ended from very early on in the process.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By no means am I an expert on the books or the show. This is purely for entertainment purposes and to have some fun. I will judge the entries with a fully biased approach!

Survives/Dies Section
1 point for picking whether a character lives or dies correctly
Bonus points for naming the episode in which they die
Bonus points if you predict a character is brought back to life through magic (Lord of Light magic, dragonstone, etc)

Who Sits on the Iron Throne Section (currently occupied by Cersei)
How many different people will claim the Iron Throne during S8? (1 pt for each correct answer)
Who sits on it at the end? (5 points)
Bonus points if you state there will be extra thrones, where they are, and who sits on them

Interesting Theories Section
Post your interesting theories here.
Partial credit and/or full credit up to 10 points will be given.

Couples Section
Post who you think will wind up together when the season ends
More points will be granted for specifics (friends/lovers/enemies/etc)
1-5 points will be granted based on degree of difficulty (Jon/Sansa has a higher degree than Jon/Dany)

Enjoy!

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Snow
Bran
Sansa
Arya

Danaerys Targaryean
Ser Jorah Mormont
Tyrion
Varys
Daario Naharis

Cersei
Ser Jamie

Ser Davos Seaworth
Gendry
Ser Beric Dondarion
Bronn
Brienne of Tarth
Hound
Mountain
Melisandre
Tormund Giantsbane
Podrick Payne
Yara Greyjoy
Theon Greyjoy
Euron Greyjoy
Lyanna Mormont
Edd Tollett (current Lord Commander)
Samwell Tarly
Gilly
Meera Reed

Night King

Last edited:

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yeah, the side (or even main) characters survival list is one of my main concerns too. I have my faves that I want to see be standing at the end. I'm confident some of them will be, but at least one won't. Because that's how GRRM rolls.

As much as I love the series, it's still the only time I've ever physically THROWN a book (after reading the red wedding).

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel free to add in characters like Grey Worm/Missandei/etc as you need them.

*edit* Separate thread was merged, so no worries if no one partakes, as I do not want to distract from the discussion after each episode.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By no means am I an expert on the books or the show. This is purely for entertainment purposes and to have some fun. I will judge the entries with a fully biased approach!

Survives/Dies Section
1 point for picking whether a character lives or dies correctly
Bonus points for naming the episode in which they die
Bonus points if you predict a character is brought back to life through magic (Lord of Light magic, dragonstone, etc)

Who Sits on the Iron Throne Section (currently occupied by Cersei)
How many different people will claim the Iron Throne during S8? (1 pt for each correct answer)
Who sits on it at the end? (5 points)
Bonus points if you state there will be extra thrones, where they are, and who sits on them

Interesting Theories Section
Post your interesting theories here.
Partial credit and/or full credit up to 10 points will be given.

Couples Section
Post who you think will wind up together when the season ends
More points will be granted for specifics (friends/lovers/enemies/etc)
1-5 points will be granted based on degree of difficulty (Jon/Sansa has a higher degree than Jon/Dany)

Enjoy!

Honestly, I've let go of wondering who lives or dies, but here are some thoughts I've had over time regarding the ending.

I'm not so sure there will be an Iron Throne left. I mean, sure, the chair itself will likely still exist, but will the 7 kingdoms as we've though of them still exist? I keep seeing the visual of the throne room both fro Bran's visions and Dany's in the House of the Undying.

I've though for a long time Bran would warg one of the dragons. After Viserion was turned to a Wight-dragon, I think that's the one Bran will warg, or at least attempt to warg.

I reread the books a couple of years ago, and noticed something about the Kings of Winter waking from stone (can't remember the exact wording) being repeated several times. The Kings of Winter were Starks, and they're down in the crypts of Winterfell. I wouldn't be surprised to see them wake from stone. Back when I did the reread, I had the idea much more fleshed out, but that was a couple of years ago, and now I only remember the rough sketch of the idea I just described.

I haven't thought too much about who will end up together, but I do wonder how both Dany and Jon (especially Jon) will react when they find out the person they just banged is their Aunt/nephew.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always thought this was a story about how Jon saves Westeros from the WWs and Dany saves Westros from the Lannister’s.

I figure Jon will die and either become the new White King, leading them back up north, or will just somehow wipe out the WWs.

I think Dany will either take the Throne, or destroy Kings Landing entirely and die in the process. If she dies, I think the imp takes the throne.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure anybody real important is going to die other than maybe Cersei because she's clearly the villain here. So maybe Euron goes too in that case.

Show's gotten too predictable lately. No real big shockers since the Mountain vs. Oberyn. I guess they have killed large numbers of people in order to close out plot lines but once they do that 2 times you can guess that they'll do that again the next 10 times they need to close stuff up.

I'm sure Tyrion is safe because that's George's obvious favorite. And I don't see how in the hell Arya can even be killed since she's now a master schemer along with having Wolverine-like healing abilities and being one of the top swordsman in Westeros.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand, GRRM and the showrunners had meetings about his plans for the rest of the story once it became clear the show would pass the books. For all we know, GRRM will change what he does in the books based on how certain things that made it into the show were/are received.

:lol:

Like he's ever finishing those books

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have been re-watching all the episodes.

When Arya comes across Nymeria on her way to Winterfell, it had to have happened for a reason. I'm guessing that during the Battle of Winterfell, the living will be getting crunched and Bran goes full warg mode and packs of dire wolves show up to mow down scores of the undead. Maybe even all living animals in the immediate area go psycho and attack the undead.

The Prince that was Promised is the child between Jon/Dany. Jon's odd mix of blood allows Dany to carry the child, maybe with help from Melisandre?

I think Jon sacrifices his life to save everyone, then Sam drives a piece of dragonstone into his heart to bring him back. Knowing that he has to live in the cold, Jon becomes the King Beyond the Wall. Dany visits him from time to time with their kid, but as a wight, there can be no romance, so bittersweet ending there.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going with Jon Snow killing Dany in order to kill the Night King and takes the throne. Most of the cast dies at Winterfell fighting the Army of the Dead. Kingslayer dies in his love's arms, Brianne's arms that is. Tywin was right, Tyrion was a bastard from the Mad King … he gets his vineyard and drinks with his friends, Bronn included. Samwell ends up as a Grand Maester. Arya, who is really Jaqen wearing her face, finishes her list.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3