• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if Jon's true parentage is revealed and he is declared King?

Her children only wear a golden crown if she is Queen.
If she's not the Queen, then all her future children would not by royalty and the prophecy would hold true.

The way I took it, the prophecy refers to their golden hair. Myrcella never wore a crown, since she was never a queen.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought "golden crown" meant they were blonde.

The way I took it, the prophecy refers to their golden hair. Myrcella never wore a crown, since she was never a queen.

You both are probably right.
I always took golden crown to symbolize royalty.
They were all kings/princes/princesses.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every good piece of fiction has to establish a universe with its rules, and then obey those rules. This universe has magic, but in it magic has always had a cost and it's not just someone casting a spell and things appearing out of thin air. I know it's just a small detail, but it was a very obvious mistake and it was so easy to get right, if they had just used ropes instead of chains.

What thickness and length of rope would you need to pull up a dragon that weighs how many tons????
It's all about tensile strength, man!!!

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What thickness and length of rope would you need to pull up a dragon that weighs how many tons????
It's all about tensile strength, man!!!
Yep, some people will always complain, I get your point.

But really, dead corpses have some buoyancy, and people have hunted whales for thousands of years, using ropes to drag the bodies and keep them afloat.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who Will Die in the Season Finale of ‘Game of Thrones’?

Here is a pretty solid rant on what has bugged me (the clear departure of not knowing if someone... anyone... will make it through a scene). Of note if you don't want to read the article....they are polling writers as to who they expect will die in the finale:

No One
Michael Baumann: And not in the sense that a man has no name, either. Nobody you care about is going to die in this episode. Back in the good ol’ days, a meeting between implacable enemies would end in a smoke baby assassination, or an act of mass murder that so jarred the viewing public it’d put corporate America out of commission until noon Tuesday. No longer. Now that George R.R. Martin has given up writing to focus on a second career as a guy who wears hats, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are writing a show that, while ostensibly about total war and an existential threat to humanity’s survival, refuses to kill anyone whose death might make the internet sad.

[Grabs microphone and faces Benioff and Weiss in front of cheering SummerSlam audience]

Y’all ain’t got the cojones to kill off a major character. George would’ve had Arya cut Sansa’s throat. George would’ve had Cersei order the Mountain to eviscerate Tyrion, flag of truce be damned. I didn’t sign up to get weepy when an animal dies. I didn’t sign up for a slow-burn treatise on why it’s OK for you and your aunt to have sex. Give me more than this Star Trek: The Next Generation–level Literally Everyone Dies, Unless You’re Named in the Opening Credits stuff. I dare you, D&D: Give us a death worth talking about all winter. I bet you won’t.

Maybe GRRM would not have had Arya cut Sansa's throat....but the point being is there has been a real departure of suspense the way GoT built it. As a show watcher only I ABSOLUTELY thought Ned's head was not coming off, right up to the moment it did. That was what pulled me in. We get conditioned by shows and movies that "of course so and so is getting through this". A little bit of suspense if done well...but ultimately it has always been a meh to me.

Ever since Ned's head lopping I have sat on edge so many times with that feeling that virtually no one is safe at any time. It is still an amazing show, visually and architecturally....but I feel that unique angle of suspense has gone missing since it went from adapting books to screen to cultivating original content. An example from last week:

Look....I like Tormund. He is a very enjoyable character. But he was a goner last week...we watched it happening. In the 20-30 seconds it was happening I went from "Oh no" to "well.....some folks were going to go this week". And then.....nothing!

Going from the trope smashing style of GRRM's writing (which can be brutal....but was such a refreshing thing about GoT) to hitting us with the very tropes that were being smashed a few months ago has been jarring to me. The Dragons swooping in at just the right moment is another example. While visually amazing and meant to inspire and elicit positive response (it did in me at the moment) it just does not hold up in hindsight.

So how can we say anyone of any consequence will die this week?
Give me more than this Star Trek: The Next Generation level!!!

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thing is, kid would have to die too since the prophecy says she only bears 3 children with golden crowns.

I don't think the theory that Gentry is Cersei's can work. Someone would have known she was pregnant.

My understanding of the theory is that of course she was pregnant. The history says the baby was still born. But if he was not this might be something that someone of Cersei's cunning can handle.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, this season so far has been innocuous for important characters, since we've just lost Lady Olena (who wad a pretty triumphant death) as a fairly major character, plus the Sand Snakes, The Tarlys, Thoros and Viserion.

Last year was fairly similar, until the last episode, with only Hodor's death causing an impact. Heck, we even had a HUGE battle without losing a single important character on Jon's side.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every good piece of fiction has to establish a universe with its rules, and then obey those rules. This universe has magic, but in it magic has always had a cost and it's not just someone casting a spell and things appearing out of thin air. I know it's just a small detail, but it was a very obvious mistake and it was so easy to get right, if they had just used ropes instead of chains.
They're trying to get through an ice wall. With a gate that would need to be destroyed.

Do you think that the plan involved ropes?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Could both be right. Prophesy (because it's written by con-men) is always purposefully vague. Less chance of being run out of town that way. Always thought GRRM wrote the prophesy bits quite well, VEEEERRRY vague. Rife with potential double meanings.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going from the trope smashing style of GRRM's writing (which can be brutal....but was such a refreshing thing about GoT) to hitting us with the very tropes that were being smashed a few months ago has been jarring to me. The Dragons swooping in at just the right moment is another example. While visually amazing and meant to inspire and elicit positive response (it did in me at the moment) it just does not hold up in hindsight.

But GRRM, and the authors who've followed him (Abercrombie, Morgan etc etc) STILL have endings where at least some of the protagonists win. They can't subvert the trope so far that everybody dies, or so that the bad guys win, because that would make for books that people WOULD really hate.

So sure, he'll subvert the hell out of the tropes. There WILL be more major character deaths coming. But it's still an epic fantasy novel. Even if it's an unsatisfying 'bittersweet' ending, it's still going to be a comedy as opposed to tragic ending.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thing is, kid would have to die too since the prophecy says she only bears 3 children with golden crowns.

I don't think the theory that Gentry is Cersei's can work. Someone would have known she was pregnant.

You know what's weird though? Cersei says that nothing happens in King's Landing without her knowing. So she knew of Gendry's existence but didn't take him out?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what's weird though? Cersei says that nothing happens in King's Landing without her knowing. So she knew of Gendry's existence but didn't take him out?

I think that is just her talking her shit, to a degree.

I think nothing goes on within the Red Keep that she doesn't know about. All of Kings Landing would be a much different story.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to wonder what the ratio of people massively complaining about the show to book readers is. It seems like the book readers have been waiting to pounce now that they are past the books. There are legitimate complaints here and there but the things people are complaining about are absolutely laughable at this point.

I have read the books and oddly enough I probably have more complaints before they passed the books. I definitely enjoyed the first 4 season more than the last few but a few changes from the books here and there bothered me briefly but I got over them pretty quick, and there are a few changes that I really liked all along. Now that they are past the books I watch it like any other show. I don't try to speculate what will or won't be in the books if/when they ever come out with the next 2.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this was discussed previously that the valonqar looks set up to be Tyrion (as Cersei believes), but most likely is Jaime (born right after Cersei).

would Cersei dying in childbirth essentially Jaime killing her?

Bubble bursting time regarding the valonqar prophecy....

....specifically....there is no valonqar prophecy made by Maggy the Frog in the HBO series....the valonqar prophecy dialog is only in the books...

....the valonqar reference was intentionally left out of Maggy the Frog's prophecy dialog in the HBO series...here is the scene from season 5 episode 1:

Certainly an AHA! moment isn't it?

:eek:

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rewatching the Battle of Castle Black.

You know those giants had some pretty thick chains. It's plausible some of those chains made their way back to Hardhome. Not that hard to see how the White Walkers got some chains

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who Will Die in the Season Finale of ‘Game of Thrones’?

Here is a pretty solid rant on what has bugged me (the clear departure of not knowing if someone... anyone... will make it through a scene). Of note if you don't want to read the article....they are polling writers as to who they expect will die in the finale:

Maybe GRRM would not have had Arya cut Sansa's throat....but the point being is there has been a real departure of suspense the way GoT built it. As a show watcher only I ABSOLUTELY thought Ned's head was not coming off, right up to the moment it did. That was what pulled me in. We get conditioned by shows and movies that "of course so and so is getting through this". A little bit of suspense if done well...but ultimately it has always been a meh to me.

Ever since Ned's head lopping I have sat on edge so many times with that feeling that virtually no one is safe at any time. It is still an amazing show, visually and architecturally....but I feel that unique angle of suspense has gone missing since it went from adapting books to screen to cultivating original content. An example from last week:

Look....I like Tormund. He is a very enjoyable character. But he was a goner last week...we watched it happening. In the 20-30 seconds it was happening I went from "Oh no" to "well.....some folks were going to go this week". And then.....nothing!

So how can we say anyone of any consequence will die this week?
Give me more than this Star Trek: The Next Generation level!!!

To be fair, D&D did kill Hodor last season and the internet was eternally sad. They just haven't really killed anyone else this season other than Olenna (fuck Dorne. I'm not counting them. They suck in the books and in the show). But I kinda get why. They can't really kill any of the major characters yet because the narrative doesn't call for it. It would be forced if say Jamie was roasted by Drogon instead of being saved. Once the shock value wore off, you'd realize there was still large chunks of his story left unfilled.

That's still no excuse for why tertiary characters like Tormund haven't died (I love him but he never should have made it). Those characters should be fair game with one exception. If they kill off Davos, I will fucking riot

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, D&D did kill Hodor last season and the internet was eternally sad. They just haven't really killed anyone else this season other than Olenna (fuck Dorne. I'm not counting them. They suck in the books and in the show). But I kinda get why. They can't really kill any of the major characters yet because the narrative doesn't call for it. It would be forced if say Jamie was roasted by Drogon instead of being saved. Once the shock value wore off, you'd realize there was still large chunks of his story left unfilled.

That's still no excuse for why tertiary characters like Tormund haven't died (I love him but he never should have made it). Those characters should be fair game with one exception. If they kill off Davos, I will fucking riot

Good points! Yeah....I did not fall for Jamie's cliffhanger for a second. Much more to possibly tell there. Tormund was the one that got me. I like him a lot. But there was not a reason to save him that resonates more than the shipping of he and Brienne. I feel like that was meant to be a bit of comedic relief initially. He likes her. She does not like him. But fans loved it so much that they wrote it up more. That's an aspect of fan service I've not cared for. And that was my first thought when the writers had the Hound pull him from deaths jaws.

And that's what bugged me most. It was inorganic to the universe we have been shown. It is almost a wispy violation of the fourth wall ( probably my own fault for reading up and looking at memes too much). All of the cultural reaction to this show used to be more enjoyable. It was commentary on a universe that did not show up in that universe and it was fun. Now that that universe has started answering back to the cultural reactions it's just not sat well with me.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a good GoT related fantasy football team name. "The Alt Wight" complete with a picture of The Night King as the logo

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
21078643_10210209568024334_8608721572489642990_n.jpg

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more episode tonight, then probably more than a year-long wait for Season 8.