• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, two more things that occurred to me that will probably make CHF shoot daggers through the screen... ;)

1) Okay, so never mind where the chains came from.... How'd they hook them to the dragon to pull him out of the water?

2) Okay with this faceless man thing, BUT... Arya is like 4' 8" tall... So how does she pretend to be full grown adults? (Okay, when she was Walder Frey, she was sitting down, but still....) :D

She pretended to be Walder Frey for two weeks at the twins so she had to have had other tricks there to appear taller. I just assume it's magic like in Power Rangers Turbo when the little kid becomes a grown adult after he morphs into the Blue Ranger.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we don't know how many scenes she will have. She could be there purely for retrospective scenes.

I just can't get my head around how they can keep her relevant WHILE they prepare to deal with the Night King. She HAS to be neutralized and it would be incredibly out of character for her to unite with Dany to fight the Night King no matter what evidence is presented to her.

Oh and her prophecy claims that she will have 3 children that will all die young. No mention of a fourth.

Well show Cersei had four children. She mentions one dying during childbirth in the first season.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She pretended to be Walder Frey for two weeks at the twins so she had to have had other tricks there to appear taller. I just assume it's magic like in Power Rangers Turbo when the little kid becomes a grown adult after he morphs into the Blue Ranger.

Magic is magic. I always read the assumption of the faces is that you totally look like that person. Oherwise it could look really weird.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic is magic. I always read the assumption of the faces is that you totally look like that person. Oherwise it could look really weird.

Yeah I don't have a problem with the masks making you also appear to be a different height. In the books glamouring exists which is essentially what this would be.

The part I have a hard time wrapping my head around is the fact that Arya killed three people at the Twins and then stayed there for two weeks. So she had to have been simultaneously impersonating three people in order to not arouse some suspicion.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well show Cersei had four children. She mentions one dying during childbirth in the first season.

She aborts a child in season one. Robert's child. I don't recall her having one reach childbirth though.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She aborts a child in season one. Robert's child. I don't recall her having one reach childbirth though.

In the books she aborts Robert's kids. In the show she mentions to Catelyn that she had a child with Robert that reached full term and died after birth.

Baratheon (son of Robert)

It's confusing though since I think the prophecy mentions she will "...bare only three children who will wear golden crowns...."

Maybe that's the loop hole there since a Baratheon kid would have black hair but it seems like the writers just forgot that Cersei had four kids.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the books she aborts Robert's kids. In the show she mentions to Catelyn that she had a child with Robert that reached full term and died after birth.

Baratheon (son of Robert)

It's confusing though since I think the prophecy mentions she will "...bare only three children who will wear golden crowns...."

Maybe that's the loop hole there since a Baratheon kid would have black hair but it seems like the writers just forgot that Cersei had four kids.

I believe this where the theory comes in that Gendry is not Roberts bastard, but that Cersei was his mom and he is the legitimate heir after all. A little thin, and I'm not sure how the books handle it. But, she does tell Catlyn the baby was still born. But what if he was just cast to an orphanage and they said he was still born?

Thin....but plausible as something that could come up in the next seven episodes.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, let's veer off a bit and talk about endings, since that's what we're all so obsessed with lately in this thread.

I watched this:

He goes through a bunch of TV shows that had not so good endings (LOST, HEROES), some that had mixed reaction endings (Sopranos); and talks specifically about why it's hard for TV shows to finish strong. Now part of his assertion doesn't really apply to GOT, because HBO has a different model than network TV (subscription as opposed to commercial).

But I thought it'd be interesting to ask people examples of shows that you liked or loved the ending.

The one I'd throw out as one of the best wrapups of all time was 'The Shield.' Vic Mackey's payoff was perfect.

What are some shows you love the ending of?

Anyway I thought some of the points he makes in the video still apply. Shows write themselves into corners, or have different writers/show runners, or just hang around too long.

Or they don't have an ending in mind.

GOT in theory avoids those issues, but according to the prevailing wisdom here, seems to be dipping in quality anyway.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New Amazon delivery options:

cCYNC-QkOyzuyFGK3Gx1Eku3Nd2CpZyIGH1xSgXh7y0.png

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, let's veer off a bit and talk about endings, since that's what we're all so obsessed with lately in this thread.

I watched this:

He goes through a bunch of TV shows that had not so good endings (LOST, HEROES), some that had mixed reaction endings (Sopranos); and talks specifically about why it's hard for TV shows to finish strong. Now part of his assertion doesn't really apply to GOT, because HBO has a different model than network TV (subscription as opposed to commercial).

But I thought it'd be interesting to ask people examples of shows that you liked or loved the ending.

The one I'd throw out as one of the best wrapups of all time was 'The Shield.' Vic Mackey's payoff was perfect.

What are some shows you love the ending of?

Anyway I thought some of the points he makes in the video still apply. Shows write themselves into corners, or have different writers/show runners, or just hang around too long.

Or they don't have an ending in mind.

GOT in theory avoids those issues, but according to the prevailing wisdom here, seems to be dipping in quality anyway.

Most shows waver towards the end as they stick around too long. More time and episodes gives opportunity to write into corners, as you mention in example. I've watched many good series that waffled and wavered too much. I've always had respect for creatives that have a vision and see it out. No dilly dallying for all the money networks want to throw at you when the ratings are up.

On that....Breaking Bad is a great example to me. Yeah, in their five seasons they might have dithered a little here and there. But overall they stuck to the original plan, deflected the networks efforts to do more seasons.....and it finished with a veritable synergy that it started with.

I personally think Game of Thrones is just different beast than anything.

I think their only best play was to speed it up and finish it out.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flipping channels and came across Underworld : Blood Wars.
Tywin Lannister. Edmure Tully, and Randall Tarly are in it.

Coincidence?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm betting there are at least 3 deaths among the recurring cast Sunday night

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if Dario jumps back into the picture... :D

I wouldn't be surprised to see him next episode or early next season working for Cersei after she hires his company with the loan from the Iron Bank.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they have her under contract for next year if she dies sunday?

She could come back the same way Walder Frey did this season (via faceless Arya). She could also come back as a Wight. A flashback/vision is possible but I'd be surprised if it were to happen that way. Coming back as a Wight would be very unlikely as well if she were to die next episode in King's Landing. There'd be plenty of time to burn the body.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd just like to point out to all those arguing about how the show sucks now without Martin's involvement/what Martin's involvement is/how D&D suck, whatever:

Season 6 was beyond the books just like this season and no one had a problem with it. In fact, most loved it and certainly thought it was an upgrade over season 5 which still had lots of book material.

So yeah, you can all STFU. It's not an issue of which of the two source writers being superior over the other, if one can't hang without the other, or whatever else. It's a logistical issue that the TV show has to deal with constraints the medium has.

Also, as an aside, some of you need to learn what involvement is. "Not writing a SCRIPT" is not the same as having nothing to do with the show. It literally just means he didn't type out every line of dialogue for a specific episode. That's all it means.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK about anyone else, but on TV.... would you rather have the NK kill a Dragon sitting 20ft from him with his back turned or have him toss a spare high into the sky, piercing a moving Dragon and watching his blood explode all over the place, then crashing into a pond, dying and sinking to the bottom....RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIS MOTHER......Call me crazy, but I'll take option 2.....

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd just like to point out to all those arguing about how the show sucks now without Martin's involvement/what Martin's involvement is/how D&D suck, whatever:

Season 6 was beyond the books just like this season and no one had a problem with it. In fact, most loved it and certainly thought it was an upgrade over season 5 which still had lots of book material.

So yeah, you can all STFU. It's not an issue of which of the two source writers being superior over the other, if one can't hang without the other, or whatever else. It's a logistical issue that the TV show has to deal with constraints the medium has.

Also, as an aside, some of you need to learn what involvement is. "Not writing a SCRIPT" is not the same as having nothing to do with the show. It literally just means he didn't type out every line of dialogue for a specific episode. That's all it means.

I thought it was a pretty common opinion that the show has been taking a bit of a dive in quality of writing since the start of season 5. I actually thought there was a lot of questionable stuff in season 4 too.

I don't think anybody would argue that the show as a whole sucks. Some of the writing lately has been unquestionably bad IMO and there are some frustrating holes that pop up but overall the show is still good. It was just A LOT better in seasons 1-3.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't mea
I thought it was a pretty common opinion that the show has been taking a bit of a dive in quality of writing since the start of season 5. I actually thought there was a lot of questionable stuff in season 4 too.

I don't think anybody would argue that the show as a whole sucks. Some of the writing lately has been unquestionably bad IMO and there are some frustrating holes that pop up but overall the show is still good. It was just A LOT better in seasons 1-3.
Agreed. People are taking some ribbings, that may be rightfully due. It's the most popular show on TV, there's going to be a lot of eyes on it. That being said, I would like to stop the back and forth on if the quality has gone down and why and just focus on talking about what may happen in the show.