• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings appear to have the ability to get them out of that duty. Stannis tried to do it with Jon earlier.
And when Jon finally got out, it was more of a loophole.

Also, I don't think that was papa Tarly burning anyway. Just a random bald guy.

He's not some extra, his death would be a bit more in focus than just someone burning while other action is taking place.

Maybe in the end, when there is no more need for a Night's Watch, Samwell goes home. He's gotta get his Samwise ending somehow.
Technically, Jon Snow died so his watch is over. Did they say the words over his body? I wonder if GRRM is going to go that same route in the books since he hasn't been raised yet there.

I don't know what Sam is going to do, but I can't see him going back to the Wall

I'd bet Old Man Tarly goes down and a much more reasonable Dickon takes over. Sam won't be going back there except maybe to make peace with his family.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randyll Tarly before the battle.
randyll-tarly-the-spoils-of-war.jpg

Crispy Fooker.
Screen_Shot_2017_08_07_at_12.09.24_PM.png

Looks like a Lannister armor to me. Certainly not Tarly's armor.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randyll Tarly before the battle.
randyll-tarly-the-spoils-of-war.jpg

Crispy Fooker.
Screen_Shot_2017_08_07_at_12.09.24_PM.png

Looks like a Lannister armor to me. Not Tarly.
definitely not Tarly. They'd have made a much bigger deal of him dying.

Vyle203

Costco Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 181.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with you.

I don't think Dany or Jamie should have died though. They are too major. Bronn would have been a good one to kill off right there.
Bronn dying would've added to just how horrible an event that was for Jaime also, losing his right hand man.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bronn dying would've added to just how horrible an event that was for Jaime also, losing his right hand man.

Perhaps, but Bronn is kind of like The Hound. The show is more interesting with him around.

I realize that GoT hasn't shown a tendency to care about that, but still...

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but Bronn is kind of like The Hound. The show is more interesting with him around.

I realize that GoT hasn't shown a tendency to care about that, but still...

Agreed.
The Hound, Ser Davos, and Bronn are heroes in their own right. Throw in Tormund and that would be a pretty good bar scene...

Maybe not run of the mill heroes, but more identifiable for any fan that grew up with a bigger brother or came from nothing. Could say the same for Littlefinger and Varys.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Jon broke those rules.
He pledged his life to the Night's Watch.
He was betrayed by the Night's Watch and died.
When he's brought back, he shouldn't be obligated to them anymore.

Does Sam even know what happened to Jon?
Sam was under orders from Jon when Jon was Lord Commander.
Technically, Sam can go wherever he wants and simply say he's following orders.
He could easily wind up in Dragonstone, as he believes he's reporting to his Lord Commander on what he may have discovered, especially if Jorah shows up and Jon finds out he was helped by Sam.

To the bolded.

I thought that too but the end of the oath says......... "I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the bolded.

I thought that too but the end of the oath says......... "I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."
How has he broken that pledge? He gave his life to the nights. He has paid in full.

And besides, he is still working 100% towards the same goal the KW is working towards. He just isn't doing it while residing at the Wall.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon would be more akin to a Wight than a White Walker. Wights are reanimated corpses. White Walkers are sentient, fucked up humans. Valyrian steel and dragonglass kill White Walkers but they aren't any different than any other weapons when fighting Wights. Wights really only get taken down completely with fire.

This is confusing though since the show has mentioned a few times this season that dragonglass and Valyrian steel kill Wights AND White Walkers. We know that's not completely true since Jon cut down multiple Wights at Hardhome with Longclaw. He did damage the Wights, but Longclaw didn't appear to do anything that a normal sword would not have done. However Longclaw did basically blow a White Walker into pieces.

I suppose we haven't seen a Wight get stabbed with dragonglass but the principle of why it works on White Walkers is the same as the principle behind Valyrian steel so I don't see why dragonglass would kill a Wight if Valyrian steel doesn't.

But Jon was not brought back by a White Walker. He was brought back by the Fire God. Same as with that other guy who keeps coming back, right?

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How has he broken that pledge? He gave his life to the nights. He has paid in full.

And besides, he is still working 100% towards the same goal the KW is working towards. He just isn't doing it while residing at the Wall.

Yes I do not disagree but the ending of the pledge says "....for this night and all the nights to come."

Of course you could also argue that he is protecting the wall for all nights to come even though he is not at the actual Wall.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I do not disagree but the ending of the pledge says "....for this night and all the nights to come."

Of course you could also argue that he is protecting the wall for all nights to come even though he is not at the actual Wall.
I read that as he is pledging his life to the night. The night receives the oath. It is not the term of the oath. Life is the term of the oath.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

I think he can make the argument it ended with his death. That it's a loophole the oath never took into account, but still a loophole he can use. You only have to give the watch one death.

And considering the extraordinary services he will continue to extend to the NW, no one is going to try to argue it anyway.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the bolded.

It's really semantics, but :

...all the nights to come refers to while you are still alive.

That's why Jon gave up the Lord Commander spot to Edd.
He pledged his life.... and lost it. He is no longer bound by the oath.
Based on Melisandre/Beric talks, when you come back, there is a little less of you.
The oath that Jon took was for a different man.
He easily beats the rap in a court of law.
Of course, he could ask for trial by combat.....

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Jon was not brought back by a White Walker. He was brought back by the Fire God. Same as with that other guy who keeps coming back, right?

Uncle Benjen was brought back by dragonglass to the heart.
Not sure if he's becoming a white walker or if the process was somehow different for him.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really semantics, but :

...all the nights to come refers to while you are still alive.

That's why Jon gave up the Lord Commander spot to Edd.
He pledged his life.... and lost it. He is no longer bound by the oath.
Based on Melisandre/Beric talks, when you come back, there is a little less of you.
The oath that Jon took was for a different man.
He easily beats the rap in a court of law.
Of course, he could ask for trial by combat.....

Yeah, but how many people know he died and came back? He never really talks about it, so random dude from the street sees him will just see a guy deserting.

Debating the oath does not matter for public perception of him not being on the wall.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but how many people know he died and came back? He never really talks about it, so random dude from the street sees him will just see a guy deserting.

Debating the oath does not matter for public perception of him not being on the wall.

Weren't you in the Night's Watch?

I died.
(dramatic pause)
I got better....