• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first is downright laughable.

The second and third have been championed by guess who? GRRM.

And you stopped at three for a reason. Hell, I'll throw down Morgan and or Abercrombie as maybes. But it dries up VERRRRY fast. I fucking LOVE fantasy, I've been reading it voraciously all my life. Most of it is complete dreck. Swill. Garbage.

What's funny though, is you can't name anyone more influential than Martin in the last 20 years of fantasy.

He's a giant of the genre, and those guys you mentioned are at least 2/3 hugely influenced by HIM.

Heh.
wow

you're a dick.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was about to say... she has WAY more depth in the books.

All the characters do. I suppose the ones who come the closest to being even are Tyrion and Arya, but even Dany is WAAAAY edited in the tv show. Again, nature of the beast.

Just enjoy each for what it is.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow

you're a dick.

Admittedly sometimes, but that's a pretty fucking lame response. Got nothing else to rebut but 'you're a poopyhead.'

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No the problem is he CAN find his fucking typewriter, but he uses it on too many OTHER projects, iINCLUDING taking part in writer's groups that some of the guys in ill's list have attended.
You ruined a good joke. I hope you are proud of yourself.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the characters do. I suppose the ones who come the closest to being even are Tyrion and Arya, but even Dany is WAAAAY edited in the tv show. Again, nature of the beast.

Just enjoy each for what it is.
I don't expect her to be 100% like the books, but I feel like there is too big a gap in Headey's portrayal and what I imagined from the books. Both portray her as a sociopath which is correct, but there is just something simple missing from the show's depiction.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your hate for Sanderson is irrational. Especially in regards to Stormlight.

But I agree with the rest of what you are saying.

He's a good workmanlike writer. I don't get the fuss. Which is okay. LOTS of people don't get my Abercrombie bone either.

GRRM is the Beatles of fantasy though. Is her perfect? Nope. We've had this discussion before. TOTALLY needs a better editor, (or maybe to have an editor) See: King, Stephen. And he admits he screwed the pooch dividing the POV's in the later books.

But he's inspired a whole generation of writers, and influences even those that don't like him.

Kinda funny because the whole 40 year trend to 'dark' or 'gritty' fantasy came from guys being hugely influenced (to do something different) by Tolkien.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly sometimes, but that's a pretty fucking lame response. Got nothing else to rebut but 'you're a poopyhead.'
I am going to enjoy what I enjoy and that's that. If you want to talk down to me like you are some kind of fantasy literature guru, I am not going to engage. I threw out the 3 biggest fantasy franchises out there that I think are pretty damn good. They may be influenced by Martin, but that doesn't make them bad. Every single one of them is also influenced by Tolkien and so what?

You want something different try Jemisin or something. I have liked what I have read of hers as of late.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect her to be 100% like the books, but I feel like there is too big a gap in Headey's portrayal and what I imagined from the books. Both portray her as a sociopath which is correct, but there is just something simple missing from the show's depiction.

And that's the fucking mastery of GRRM. What you IMAGINED from reading the books.

Exactly. Nail meet hammer. All that meticulous motivated character building.

But c'mon now. How many actresses would do a BETTER job on Cersei? She sticks that landing. Cate Blanchett or a few other A lister Hollywood types would do as well or better.

Doubt they were available.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's the fucking mastery of GRRM. What you IMAGINED from reading the books.

Exactly. Nail meet hammer. All that meticulous motivated character building.

But c'mon now. How many actresses would do a BETTER job on Cersei? She sticks that landing. Cate Blanchett or a few other A lister Hollywood types would do as well or better.

Doubt they were available.
I am not knocking Headey at all for her portrayal. It fits well into the world the showrunners have built. I don't need her to be played by an A list actress, I just think the director missed something in giving her a little more depth.

and that isn't just the mastery of GRRM, so please get off his dick. He has done a great job creating this world that we all love, but any author worth their weight can build a character with depth like that. Anything I read, the image in my head rarely matches up exactly to what someone else has come up with.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to enjoy what I enjoy and that's that. If you want to talk down to me like you are some kind of fantasy literature guru, I am not going to engage. I threw out the 3 biggest fantasy franchises out there that I think are pretty damn good. They may be influenced by Martin, but that doesn't make them bad. Every single one of them is also influenced by Tolkien and so what?

You want something different try Jemisin or something. I have liked what I have read of hers as of late.

I'm not talking down to you at all. I come across that way now and then (tone is tough on the web), but I'm actually ENJOYING our conversation.

I'm TOTALLY not asking you to not like who you like. That's a fool's errand. People LIKE whomever they like. Which is awesome. At least they're fucking reading. Bravo.

Terry Goodkind is a hack/shitty writer (or has turned into one), but he's sold about a billion books. Good for him. Makes a living as a writer. I fucking wish.

I don't care if you like to read Harlequin romances, love them, read them. All good with me. Just don't come on a message board and tell me that they're better reading than oh I dunno, Jane Austen. Or do, but I'll disagree, and probably be a bit of a shit doing so.

Oh well. Aren't you a Philly guy? Surely you must be tougher than that?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking down to you at all. I come across that way now and then (tone is tough on the web), but I'm actually ENJOYING our conversation.

I'm TOTALLY not asking you to not like who you like. That's a fool's errand. People LIKE whomever they like. Which is awesome. At least they're fucking reading. Bravo.

Terry Goodkind is a hack/shitty writer (or has turned into one), but he's sold about a billion books. Good for him. Makes a living as a writer. I fucking wish.

I don't care if you like to read Harlequin romances, love them, read them. All good with me. Just don't come on a message board and tell me that they're better reading than oh I dunno, Jane Austen. Or do, but I'll disagree, and probably be a bit of a shit doing so.

Oh well. Aren't you a Philly guy? Surely you must be tougher than that?
I'm just making an observation that you come across as a dick.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The irony here ill is that YOU'RE being critical of the TV show writing, and are getting on me for being critical of some of the things you like.

Hey, critique away, that's what the thread is for, but I don't care what anybody thinks, GOT the show, is the best fantasy tv show EVER created, and that's by about a thousand miles. Not even in the same stratosphere as anything else.

It's better than nearly every fantasy MOVIE ever made.

Not perfect, and not without criticism.

But please judge it by what it is. Judge it by what it's adapted from. Again, the 1 page per minute rule holds pretty true. How many episodes would it take to faithfully film and shoot every character Martin has put to paper?

Given that it's already the most expensive TV show in history, who'd pay for that?

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember which episode it was.... but I remember it being mentioned that the mad king placed a lot of wildfire underneath many key parts of the city, not just the temple area.

That was in season 2 when Tyrion was talking to the maker of the wildfire.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that isn't just the mastery of GRRM, so please get off his dick. He has done a great job creating this world that we all love, but any author worth their weight can build a character with depth like that.

The key part of that bolded statement is 'worth their weight.' I think that it's much more rare than you do, ESPECIALLY in the genre I love the most, fantasy. Where again, most of it is shit.

Anything I read, the image in my head rarely matches up exactly to what someone else has come up with.

That's the way it's supposed to be.

How many great books are adapted BETTER for the screen? Not too fucking many. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? A few others. Clockwork Orange? Maybe.

There's a reason for that.

That's EXACTLY why what Benioff and Weiss have pulled off is so fucking great. Not perfect, but again best fantasy tv show ever. By miles.