• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #4 Blues vs Sharks 7:30pm

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
just got home from the likely last game at the tank... here are the thoughts:

1. FIRE TODD MCLELLAN. If possible, do so before game 5. Another GWG PPG against. That makes what, like 12 or 13 PPG's against in the last 6 games and 6 in the 4 game series. The numbers are staggering. Its one of the most epic coaching failures that I have ever seen. Including the vancouver series, the sharks have given up 15 power play goals in their last 9 PO games. That is unreal!

2. Zues+Winchester>>> moore+ galiardi. Still not so good, still no one can score, but they were much better. However, this is pretty much irrelevant since no one on the bottom 6 belongs in the NHL. I thought with the subs they might win and they did play arguable the best game of the whole series, maybe of the season, but the team has zero scoring depth so it doesnt matter.

3. For all the Giants fans, when its time for a change, call speedy oil change and tune... When 15 years in long enough for the marleau era. 7M of complete shlub waste. The game costing penalty notwithstanding, he has been unbelievably bad, and the time has simply come to more in a new younger, more hungry direction.

4. Poor nemo. he has been solid, pretty much every game. Nemo and nabby should console each other playing behind the power outage sharks.

5. Too many pylons on D and not enough offensive depth. Murray and White fucked up at least 5 or 10 good chances by getting shots blocked, flubbing pucks, you name it. Good teams win with good D, and the sharks have zilcho after burns and boyle. Even braun and pickles are useless on the other side of the red line. Its so painful to watch.

6. This pains me to say, but Joe pavelski has been horrific. He's been bad on the PK, hasnt converted shit, and just hasnt helped the team. Simply put, this series, he has sucked.

7. Here are the needed departures this looooong summer-to-be:

a. Todd should be first. Bring Martin in. If nothing else, he can kill a penalty and not spot the other team nearly 2 goals a game. That alone makes him an upgrade.
b. trade patty for whatever you can get. how about to MTL for the 3rd overall pick. They have drooling over patty for years, since like 2006, so let em have it. If not, maybe toronto for bozak. or whoever will take him for a a nice little package. There should be buyers out there given the 30+ goals, 60+ pts.
c. attempt to trade: murray and zues. Whatever you can get is fine, but 5M on those two guys is rediculous misuse of resources. A bag of pucks would be a great return, especially if they have cool logos of some sort on them, like naked chicks or something.
D. Do not resign: Moore, mitchell, white, and vandy. No need for that 4.5M of dead space.

That means off the current roster, I would prefer to not see Marleau, moore, mitchell, zues, white, murray, and vandermeer. Keep jumbo as he may be disappointing, but he is still effective with the right scoring depth around him. He's not the guy to lead you to the cup, but he remains a valuable addition.

its gunna be a fascinating summer and dougie is gunna have his hands full.

madcap9999

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm amazed at how much patience this team has with Mr. Cancer. It's almost like they are "wishing" him to be an elite, consistent playoff performer when all they get year after year is a poor to good one, depending on his mood. Crazy.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We sit here and say "Doug Wilson should do this and that...". Who's to say that Doug Wilson will be doing this? After the moves he has made, mainly the two horrendous deadline deals as well as the contract extensions with 'No Trade Clauses' attached, I'm not so sure he will still have a job this summer.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't blame any one player for the Sharks being down 3-1. Really, the only players who have played at an acceptable level for the Sharks IMO are Burns and Niemi. Maybe Thornton as well. Not that these players are playing great they just aren't the ones hurting the team.

Pavelski has always had trouble with teams like St. Louis who are big and play the body on him. He's easy to knock off the puck and doesn't skate or stickhandle well enough to escape the pressure. With the forwards colapsing down so low for St. Louis he can't find the soft areas to get his shot off regularly.

This is pretty much how I feel. You could sniff this predicament out early in the year.. they just didn't seem to have that cohesivness and rarely showed any dominating efforts throughout the year. Ultimately, this is a team game and we either win as a team or lose as one.

We have one more game to at least show a little pride and integrity to this team and its fans. I thought we started out pretty well and the line changes put more capable players into action.. but St. Louis has been building their team for 3-4 years... we have spent the last 3-4 trying to figure how to get one more winning season out of an aging one.

I really hope they can look at each other and figure out how to put a win together.. :mad:

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Its really dougie that amazes me. He had faith in patty through all the inconsistency and still does. He had a clear easy chance to get rid of him at the end of the 07-08 season, when he had that horrific 19 goal, -19 season. Unfortunately, dougie loves the bastard. Why? who knows, but he does. patty is, at his core, a 25 goal, 50 pt player. He has risen to a 30 goal, 70 pt player because he played next to one of the greatest assisters and game controllers in the league, at least he was a few years back. Jumbo flat out created cheechoo. He had the skills to make all the players around him better (still does some, but lesser now). His PP skills used to be insane. From 03-4 to 05-6 when jumbo arrived, patty's numbers jumped, but his 5 on 5 goals were way down (just 14 total) and overall points were up just 8. the following year was pretty much the same (only 18 EV goals, 41 EV points). This year, just 39 EV points. he's not a 7M man, and really is hardly more than a solid top 6 forward. On any team without jumbo, he's a 25 goal, 50-60 pt player.

Maybe, just maybe, this PO's and regular season suckage down the stretch is enough to convince doug wilson that the time has indeed come. I wouldn't bet the farm on it (though I would be Handzues' contract).

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
time to blow it up.

was at the game tonight, again they score a cock teaser with less than 2min when the damage has already been done, epitome of the Sharks season - too little too late.

Doug Wilson leaves us with nothing to look forward to, the window is closed, this team will have to suffer through a few years of average to mediocre hockey at best.

i kinda have to laugh now at all the predictions about how we wanted to play the Blues over Vancouver...Blues have dominated every game and Sharks got lucky to steal the first one, at this point all anger is gone, this series played out as expected with #2 beating #7, there is no possible chance Sharks can come back cause they cannot even score on PP, can't have a decent PK and their coach seems to have no clear plan in dealing with the Blues, it's not as if our players have been that terrible, just that the Blues are so much better as a team, playing like a solid unit following their coaches methods and style.

Sharks and Wings are getting owned this year, their style is well known and predictable, its a new era for teams like St Louis, Phoenix and Nashville, time for the Sharks to go back to the drawing board and i am afraid Wilson has had plenty of chances to put together a team built to bring home a cup, changes need to be made and should start at the top.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We sit here and say "Doug Wilson should do this and that...". Who's to say that Doug Wilson will be doing this? After the moves he has made, mainly the two horrendous deadline deals as well as the contract extensions with 'No Trade Clauses' attached, I'm not so sure he will still have a job this summer.

I really dont see this happening, and Im not sure Id want it to. Dougie has made the PO's every year since his arrival at the end of the disasterous 02-03 season. That's 8 straight PO appearances. Few teams in the league can boas that kind of consistent postseason play. Unfortunately GM's punish themselves by having their team in the top 10 in the league every year, because they cant pick high. its much easier to build a team with a few crappy years (i.e.: pietrangelo, the heart and soul of the blues, as well as stewart and shattenkirk who came for Johnson the 1st overall pick). The sharks havent had a natural (no-trade) pick in the top 20 since 2003. They got wishart by moving up, seto through the lottery, and cooch with a really deft trade/r*pe with the toskala deal. That puts dougie in a bit of a tough situation.

This is the first year in all that times that he has made several bad moves in a row. Zues, moore, galiardi/winnik, all really really bad deals. However, I dont think firiing dougie and turning over this aging, declining roster with no farm is a fair or smart thing to do. Dougie should keep the reigns for now and see what tricks he can pull this summer.

he did sign gourde, stalberg, tennyson recently, so maybe one of those pans out, and moffie, abeltshouser along with hamilton and nieto look promising, so he may still be able to pull off some tricks in the offseason.

One things for sure. This team will look at least somewhat different next year. No way in hell dougie keeps this crew together given the subpar regular season and asskicking in the POs. There will be serious changes, either at coach or at least in the bottom 6 if not one of the top 6. hate to say it, but clowy may be moving closer to home in toronto. He is a burke kinda guy and they are desperate for size and grit up front.

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aascaZyB.jpg

awesome! thanks for the laugh, i needed that!

REPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind Dougie sticking around but enough is enough. He has to wake up and smell the stench, the stench that is produced by his team that is. This has to be the final straw right?

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
time to blow it up.

was at the game tonight, again they score a cock teaser with less than 2min when the damage has already been done, epitome of the Sharks season - too little too late.

Doug Wilson leaves us with nothing to look forward to, the window is closed, this team will have to suffer through a few years of average to mediocre hockey at best.

i kinda have to laugh now at all the predictions about how we wanted to play the Blues over Vancouver...Blues have dominated every game and Sharks got lucky to steal the first one, at this point all anger is gone, this series played out as expected with #2 beating #7, there is no possible chance Sharks can come back cause they cannot even score on PP, can't have a decent PK and their coach seems to have no clear plan in dealing with the Blues, it's not as if our players have been that terrible, just that the Blues are so much better as a team, playing like a solid unit following their coaches methods and style.

Sharks and Wings are getting owned this year, their style is well known and predictable, its a new era for teams like St Louis, Phoenix and Nashville, time for the Sharks to go back to the drawing board and i am afraid Wilson has had plenty of chances to put together a team built to bring home a cup, changes need to be made and should start at the top.

the key seems to be coaching as you touched on. STL, NAS, and PHO have arguably the 3 best coaches in the entire league. Certainly in the top 5. Tippett is a stud. Trotz might be the best coach in the league give what he has in terms of personelle. Hell, he made goc into a legit scorer!!! Hitchcock is a borderline HOF coach with outstanding credentials. These guys have perfect systems. They squeeze out the very most from their players game in game out, and they do it with minimal stars, minimal salaries, and no-namers.

This is kinda why Im so unimpressed with babcock and mclellan. Babcock got a cup without actually coaching. he got the hangover of scotty bowman's teaching and all he had to do was just play lidstrom, rafalaski, kronwall, stuart, etc. Then just throw out all the detroit star forwards in their primes. If you have their kind of skill and depth in all positions, it's pretty darn easy. Now that lidstrom is older as is zetts, dats, holstrom, and so on. No superstar other Dman like a rafalski who can eat 30 mins and suddenly the wings are not the team they once were. They are just like the sharks, lots of skill, but subpar coaching, and a bit too old.

With a great coach, who knows how to kill a penalty and is not afraid to send a message, the sharks can be great. The fact that patricia was never a healthy scratch says it all. Stewart was benched after a bad game one. that's a message sent to a larger name player. Todd is too afraid to send a message and prefers to just leave it in the player's hands. In other words, he doesnt coach. RW also doesnt know how to coach since he pisses everyone off indiscriminately and also doesnt know the X's and O's all that well as evidenced in TOR. One good coach, nay a great coach, may be all the sharks need to return to their perch and contend legitimately for a cup. Todd is clearly not it.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We gotta dump Doug Wilson.

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nah, one bad year. I say let him clean up his own mess. Now if they suck next year, then maybe.

hmm we should save this post...i am pretty sure most of the folks here say something similar every year for every Sharks fail, well at what point does the buck stop here?

:llama: how about here? oh wait is that a llama? pretend its a buck! :thumb:

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nah, one bad year. I say let him clean up his own mess. Now if they suck next year, then maybe.

Maybe it's the short term frustration talking, but I haven't seen toughness in this team for many years. I've seen a team that's good enough to get to the playoffs every year and frankly that's not good enough. Even the Ducks have a Cup and why, because they were willing to take some reasonable risks.

I'm sick of seeing this team get outworked and after seeing years of Wilson and TMac, I dont think it's a problem with the coaching (though TMac is not without his shortcomings this year) as much as it is a problem with personnel.

And especially yes, I think Marleau is a big problem.
He is a product of a bygone era and this franchise has passed him by. I say throw him a nice ceremony on the way out but he cannot continue to be a Shark if this franchise is going to be Cup bound.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
hmm we should save this post...i am pretty sure most of the folks here say something similar every year for every Sharks fail, well at what point does the buck stop here?

:llama: how about here? oh wait is that a llama? pretend its a buck! :thumb:

If making 3 final fours in seven years and never missing the PO's gets you fired, then you'd have a whole lot of GM turnover. I think you gotta have at least 2 1st round bowouts or missed PO's to get fired. If they fired dougie, what would a new GM do?

Nah, dougie has done a fine job given his lack of high draft picks. He has traded away a few too many, but he's also traded for a few key ones that he didnt have, like cooch. He has managed to bring in some key future guys like burns without totally destroying the now as well. Restocking without the aid of high draft choices is extremely tough, unless you have scouts who hand you zetterbergs and datsyuks on a silver platter late in the draft. The sharks have very solid late round drafting in the last 7 years, but you get guys like braun, wingels, demers, joslin, bonino, or mitchell, not legit top 6 forward or top 4 D. Since the sharks have much more human scouts, dougie has had to maintain competitive without those kind of picks.

Besides which of his impact trades has been so bad prior to this year? Heater wasnt bad given the salary cap was a wash and heater> michalek+cheech over those years by far. Boyle wasnt bad at all. havlat was hurt, but it was a good deal given that heater needed to go and havlat's salary is reasonable. hell, he's the main reason we got into the PO's or got even a win vs. the blues. Going back further, the jumbo deal was a clear good one since the team was realllly floundering and stuey+sturm+primeau all pretty much suck. What else? the deadline deals were solid, even if they didnt work,. they needed a clear scorer so they got guerin. Need a top Dman? add campbell. Picking up wellfed off waivers was a great move.

This year was awful, Zues, moore, galiardi were all disaster deals. no argument there. But, that's really it, so I saw give him the opportunity to clean up his mess and I bet the sharks can be contenders again next year.

Mr. Teal

Non-tipper
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Opinion of this Playoff round

First I was like
aaqN7dRW.gif

Then I was like
aayfiJL9.gif