• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game 12: Lions vs Vikings

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This win should give a slight boost to the rookies and younger players who haven't gone through this much losing and some CFB players don't lose this many games in their entire CFB careers. This win has to be a morale booster for many.
Good for them. Now don't do it again. Lol.

It's nice to celebrate a win. I wish I could have seen it. Working 2 holidays a year and every fourth weekend doesn't sound too bad. But somehow I've missed the last 2 Lions games And with the bye I've only seen like 1 game in the past month I think. Ugh.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Zimmer deserves to be fired.

The Lions have scored more in this first half than they have in every game but one.
They were literally missing half their defense.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be more than just okay with Hutch at No.1 overall, but that's not going to go over so well with the extremists who love the alleged superior athletic edge rusher in Thibodeaux.

I'll take the relentless motor of Hutch versus the more athletic edge rusher who displayed complete frustration in 3 straight games against Colorado, Washington and Utah. You could easily see it in his body language.
I am concerned too. I think Hamilton is the safer pick. Will Harris is still the worst safety in football. Every time a WR catchs a TD, Harris is the guy standing next to him.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m back to assuming we pick first after that horrible decision to go for it.

Really no idea why you pass on 4th and 1 there.
3rd and 2 they dont put in the FB and run straight up the middle. 4th and .5 and they put the FB in and then throw. That is 4th dimension chess right there:L

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This win should give a slight boost to the rookies and younger players who haven't gone through this much losing and some CFB players don't lose this many games in their entire CFB careers. This win has to be a morale booster for many.
Rookies are playing pretty well too.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't really fit this defense well. Don't get me wrong, he would absolutely start and be an upgrade, but in this defense I think he would be just a solid player. Thibs has the potential to be a difference maker in this defense. Thibodaux also scares me though, reminds me too much of Clowney. Whereas Hutch reminds me more of Kyle Vandenbosch. But the Titans version, not the washed up version we got in Detroit. As the top #1 pick or even a top 5, I say swing for the fences with the higher upside player. But I can see where Hutchinson has a certain appeal, because you're more likely to at least end up with something. Its like poker, would you rather have AK suited or a pair of Jack's? Waking up with the former sounds better than the other, but finishing up with the latter sounds better than the other. What happens in the future is going to make this choice seem silly one way or the other.

I can see your point as well as any other who states their case similar to yours.

I'm Not against Thibodeaux one bit, however when I look down the road with the possibility that Thibodeaux does pan out, does he stay after his rookie contract ? I'd have no concern whatsoever if the selection is Hutchinson having grown up in the Detroit area. Thibodeaux, in my opinion, would bolt for greener pastures elsewhere. Selecting Thibodeaux could very well end up becoming a wasted pick outside of us getting his services for 5 years. I could more than likely make the same claim for just about any draft selection, I guess.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jared Goff's girlfriend, Christen Harper, was even more excited for Goff than Dan Campbell, plus I'd rather see her celebrate than Campbell.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't really fit this defense well. Don't get me wrong, he would absolutely start and be an upgrade, but in this defense I think he would be just a solid player. Thibs has the potential to be a difference maker in this defense. Thibodaux also scares me though, reminds me too much of Clowney. Whereas Hutch reminds me more of Kyle Vandenbosch. But the Titans version, not the washed up version we got in Detroit. As the top #1 pick or even a top 5, I say swing for the fences with the higher upside player. But I can see where Hutchinson has a certain appeal, because you're more likely to at least end up with something. Its like poker, would you rather have AK suited or a pair of Jack's? Waking up with the former sounds better than the other, but finishing up with the latter sounds better than the other. What happens in the future is going to make this choice seem silly one way or the other.

One aspect of Thibodeaux' game where I could see has a much higher upside than Hutchinson would be the former's ability to drop into coverage and that's simply based on Thibodeaux athleticism. Both players have dropped into coverage this year and Thibodeaux has done so more often than Hutchinson although I don't have the statistical data to prove that. Thibodeaux rarely dropped into coverage over the first 6-7 games but in those last games against UCLA, Colorado, Washington, Utah and Oregon State there was an uptick in number of snaps doing so.

Interestingly there was an article recently that might give you the benefit of doubt as to which player is better suited.

► Q. Does the Lions' defensive scheme use "edge rushers", in the new traditional sense, enough to take one in the top 35 picks? — @ResistDaOrange

► A. Absolutely. Don't be confused by the positional name change from defensive end to outside linebacker, the primary responsibility of that position remains rushing the quarterback in passing situations.

To put some numbers to it, courtesy of Pro Football Focus, Romeo Okwara rushed 90 times and dropped into coverage 16 before his injury. Trey Flowers has rushed 162 times and dropped on 26 snaps. And Charles Harris has 273 rushes to 37 coverage drops.

The problem, obviously, has been the effectiveness of those rushers. The Lions should be desperate for someone capable of consistently winning one-on-one, and that's the appeal of Hutchinson and Thibodeaux.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One aspect of Thibodeaux' game where I could see has a much higher upside than Hutchinson would be the former's ability to drop into coverage and that's simply based on Thibodeaux athleticism. Both players have dropped into coverage this year and Thibodeaux has done so more often than Hutchinson although I don't have the statistical data to prove that. Thibodeaux rarely dropped into coverage over the first 6-7 games but in those last games against UCLA, Colorado, Washington, Utah and Oregon State there was an uptick in number of snaps doing so.

Interestingly there was an article recently that might give you the benefit of doubt as to which player is better suited.

► Q. Does the Lions' defensive scheme use "edge rushers", in the new traditional sense, enough to take one in the top 35 picks? — @ResistDaOrange

► A. Absolutely. Don't be confused by the positional name change from defensive end to outside linebacker, the primary responsibility of that position remains rushing the quarterback in passing situations.

To put some numbers to it, courtesy of Pro Football Focus, Romeo Okwara rushed 90 times and dropped into coverage 16 before his injury. Trey Flowers has rushed 162 times and dropped on 26 snaps. And Charles Harris has 273 rushes to 37 coverage drops.

The problem, obviously, has been the effectiveness of those rushers. The Lions should be desperate for someone capable of consistently winning one-on-one, and that's the appeal of Hutchinson and Thibodeaux.
Honestly I would rather have the higher floor guy as his ceiling is still All-Pro Level. Thibodeaux ceiling seems like it would require the right environment to achieve, and the Lions are not it. I would take a 90% chance of Porcher or better over a 25% chance of a better player.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I would rather have the higher floor guy as his ceiling is still All-Pro Level. Thibodeaux ceiling seems like it would require the right environment to achieve, and the Lions are not it. I would take a 90% chance of Porcher or better over a 25% chance of a better player.

My sentiments Exactly. I couldn't have stated it better.

I have a bad gut feeling regarding Thibodeaux if he were to be drafted by the Lions and it has nothing to do with being a Michigan Wolverine homer.

I've been watching CFB since '68 and never have I seen a player with the explosive burst that Thibodeaux shows but there's more to being an edge rusher at the NFL level than that burst off the LOS.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there's a choice between athleticism and heart, take the guy with heart. Hutchinson.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To all Lion fans, congrats so happy for all of you. Though it might be sooner but I knew w W was coming your way.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot wait to see Sewell, Decker and Ragnow together as a unit next year. This young man keeps getting better by the week. I must've missed the sack he gave up, but his run-blocking skillset, for a rookie, has been phenomenal.

from PFF

Rookie tackle Penei Sewell led the way in pass protection, allowing just one pressure (for a sack) on 45 pass-blocking snaps en route to a 79.6 pass-blocking grade, pending review. As a unit, the Lions posted an elite 87.1 pass-blocking grade, giving up five total pressures.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Linebackers​

Alex Anzalone co-led the defense in snaps (71), but he posted just a 57.6 overall grade on first review of the film. He graded negatively on 8% of his run-defense plays and allowed four catches on five targets in coverage.