• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Friday fun day frivolity

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SHAQ MAN DOWN!!!

shaq.gif

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Young signed by Mets

Maybe not so into Ellsbury now? if they were

The Mets SHOULD sign Ellsbury, but they don't want to forfeit the draft pick. And since their 1st round pick is protected, I don't want the Mets or Mariners signing him.

I am hoping the Rangers "all in" attitude gets them to jump on Ellsbury instead of McCann. They would have a great defensive and fast OF with Ells, Martin, and Rios, with Beltre and Fielder providing the thump in the middle.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one of the effects of the prince trade maybe GMs will wise up and not sign these clowns for 7-10 years in their early 30s:suds:

You're seeing that too, huh? Look at these trades lately. A-Gone and Crawford. Now Prince. The Dodgers are shopping Crawford and Kemp. Good luck to the Angels getting rid of Pujols. I don't think he is done, but even 2 or 3 good years still leaves potentially 5 bad ones.

Teams are realizing their mistake and now looking to get out of these deals, and the faster the better.

RedSoxWorrld

Brock wears female undies
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets SHOULD sign Ellsbury, but they don't want to forfeit the draft pick. And since their 1st round pick is protected, I don't want the Mets or Mariners signing him.

I am hoping the Rangers "all in" attitude gets them to jump on Ellsbury instead of McCann. They would have a great defensive and fast OF with Ells, Martin, and Rios, with Beltre and Fielder providing the thump in the middle.

the fuck?

you a rangers fan now?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off the wall sports facts.

According to a Detroit Free Press poll, 68 percent of professional hockey players have lost at least one tooth in a game.

Through the first 12 years of his career, Joe DiMaggio had more home runs (349) than strikeouts (333).
To put DiMaggio's aversion to striking out into perspective, Adam Dunn has more whiffs in the last two seasons (411) than The Yankee Clipper had in his entire career (369).

On Aug. 24, 1951, St. Louis Browns owner Bill Veeck allowed fans to manage a game against the Philadelphia Athletics.
As part of a stunt by team owner Bill Veeck, fans were allowed to pick the St. Louis Browns starting lineup by voting for players.
But the grandstand's supervisory input wasn't just limited to choosing a cleanup hitter.
Armed with cards that said "yes" on one side and "no" on the other, more than 1,000 "managers" weighed in on everything from bunting situations to pitching changes.

During the 1943 season, the Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles lost so many players to service in WWII that the teams combined to form the “Steagles.”
Despite playing with men who, for the most part, were unable to serve in the military, the "Steagles" recorded a winning record of 5-4-1 and defeated the defending champion Washington Redskins 27-14 in Week 9.

An estimated 1.25 billion chicken wings are consumed on Super Bowl Sunday according to the National Chicken Council (via Wall Street Journal).
Or, if you prefer a more relatable illustration, approximately four wings are consumed for every person living in the United States.

Shaquille O’Neal was 6'8" at 14 years old.

The Green Bay Packers team name comes from the Indian Packing Company, an organization that contributed $500 for the team’s jerseys and equipment.
Curly Lambeau was a shipping clerk who made $250 a month when he decided to start a football team in 1919.
Desperate for cash, he hit up his employer, the Indian Packing Company, which put up the cost of a PS4 and ended up becoming the team's namesake.

Joe Theismann changed the pronunciation of his last name so that it would rhyme with "Heisman."
While he originally balked at Notre Dame sports information director Roger Valdiserri's idea, Theismann (originally pronounced Thees-man) eventually agreed to alter the elocution of his last name.
As brilliantly ridiculous as his marketing strategy was, Theismann ultimately finished second in the Heisman voting to Stanford's Jim Plunkett.

At nine years old, in a game of tennis for $500.
Originally, Agassi's father offered Jim Brown $10,000 stakes for a tennis match against his adolescent son.
To his credit, Brown declined to put that kind of pressure on a nine-year-old kid and countered with a $500 game.

Last edited by a moderator:

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 years, 100 million

Sox keep him

do it

For that price, yes. My price was 5/$90mm, so I was actually willing to give him higher AAV but keeping it at 5 years.

I think that will be a trend in baseball. The Sox took a lot of shit for "overpaying" guys last year, but it was the price to pay to keep the years lower, and that is a better approach.

I have always wondered why more contracts aren't front-loaded, so at least you are paying more for the most productive seasons. Of course, the flip side is that teams like to keep the earlier payments low in order to sign more guys NOW. They just end up paying for it later in more ways than one.

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fuck?

you a rangers fan now?

I re-read my post and it sure as hell looks like it. I want the Sox to get a #1 pick for Ells if he doesn't stay. I am hoping Jon Daniels reads our shit.

I just like to see other teams step up and provide competition. Of course, I want the Sox to win, but I like to see new teams get off the mat, like the Pirates and Indians last season.

What I have become is a Tigers hater and (out of the) closet Indians fan (because of Tito). I hope the Indians smoke them this season and leave Detroit and that "aces" pitching staff out of the playoffs.

They play in that weak ass division and so many people think they are so great. They pile on against the Twins, White Sox, and Royals. Reality-check time, Detroit!!

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I re-read my post and it sure as hell looks like it. I want the Sox to get a #1 pick for Ells if he doesn't stay. I am hoping Jon Daniels reads our shit.

I just like to see other teams step up and provide competition. Of course, I want the Sox to win, but I like to see new teams get off the mat, like the Pirates and Indians last season.

What I have become is a Tigers hater and (out of the) closet Indians fan (because of Tito). I hope the Indians smoke them this season and leave Detroit and that "aces" pitching staff out of the playoffs.

They play in that weak ass division and so many people think they are so great. They pile on against the Twins, White Sox, and Royals. Reality-check time, Detroit!!

Cubs, Rays, Rangers, Mariners, Orioles, Pirates, Indians

teams I'd like to see win a title if the Sox don't (in no particular order)

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just another day in Cubs fandom.....

Natalie Adorno, an 11-year-old die-hard Chicago Cubs fan, isn't afraid to get loud for her favorite team at Wrigley Field.
"I get the crowd going. When everyone is just standing there bored -- well, not bored because they're watching the game, but like not talking or cheering, then I'm there and they scream," Odorno said.
But the girl's cheering habits at Wrigley Field have irked another fan, though, and now the team is getting involved.
Natalie's father, Carlos Adorno, said the beef started a couple weeks after the season when the fan tweeted at Natalie from the account @coach511: "Not all of us fans appreciate your constant yelling at the games. Please stop, it's annoying."
The tweets, which began on Oct. 9, have since been deleted, and NBC 5 was unable to verify the identity of the owner of the account.
"He doesn't like me cheering, and it made me feel bad because I felt like I did something wrong," Natalie said.
Carlos Adorno, who bought season tickets last year and took Natalie to more than 70 games, said his daughter's cheers have revitalized a once-quiet Section 527 and she has become something of a celebrity in the area.
"You should see the people who come over here to see her enthusiasm," he said.
Natalie leads section cheers of "Let's Go Cubbies," her father said, and grabs nearby fans to sing with her during the seventh inning stretch. Before the game she gets autographs and got to know the players. A Twitter account for @Section527 was even created.
By the end of the season, Carlos Adorno said team staff, security, players and even Cubs owner Tom Ricketts -- who saw Natalie giving pre-game balls to other kids -- knew her by name.
When Carlos Adorno stepped in to defend his daughter on Twitter, he said the fan took less of an issue with Natalie's cheering, and was more focused on her getting out of her seat during games and stepping into the section pathway.
Hey says Natalie only gets out of her seat in the 7th and 8th innings, when the Cubs are losing, to get fans revved up to rally their team, but the fan took his complaint to the Cubs.
The team called Carlos to ask Natalie to keep the pedestrian walkway clear for safety reasons. The team was apologetic, he said, because they know Natalie and don't want her to stop cheering.
“After learning of an issue between Season Ticket Holders in nearby seating areas, our team spoke with both parties to help reach a resolution," the Cubs said in a statement. "Our fans enjoy baseball at Wrigley Field and it’s important we provide an environment where all of our guests can enjoy their experience at the game.”
Still the situation upset Carlos enough to consider not renewing his season tickets.
Natalie insists the situation isn't the fault of the Cubs, who she calls family, and lays blame with the fan upset by her level of cheering.
Though her father still isn't sure whether he'll renew the tickets, he said what happened doesn't diminish his love of the team.
"I love [the Cubs]. I waited 12 years for these tickets."

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about a free agent picking contest? I ws going to do one on MLBTradeRumors, but you need a Facebook account, so I didn't do it.

I have my predictions for a bunch of free agents and was psyched because I predicted Jason Vargas signing with the Royals. I had Josh Johnson going to the Pirates as another "Liriano potential" signing.

Anyone up for that?

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me, and for this year, it would have to be the Astros.

All of the baseball talking heads would lose thier minds......

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being only somewhat serious, what baseball could use now is a return to some good old fashioned collusion. Have the owners get together and agree not to give guys more than say 3-5 years on ANYONE. Toss Cano a 3 year $ 75 mil contract, and tell him to like it or lump it.
Brings to mind Kyle Lohse (also a Native American... and Boras client). What did he end up getting last year? Was it less than the QO?

RedSoxWorrld

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about a free agent picking contest? I ws going to do one on MLBTradeRumors, but you need a Facebook account, so I didn't do it.

I have my predictions for a bunch of free agents and was psyched because I predicted Jason Vargas signing with the Royals. I had Josh Johnson going to the Pirates as another "Liriano potential" signing.

Anyone up for that?

list them and we'll post them

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cubs are #1 on my "Non Sox/Non-Mets" list. I agree with the Indians and Pirates, and probably the Mariners.I would add the D-Bax, Reds, Royals, Rockies, and Padres.

Did I just name 3 NL West teams not named the Dodgers? Sorry, BigD.

I don't like the other AL East teams, so it would be hard for me to root for them.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brings to mind Kyle Lohse (also a Native American... and Boras client). What did he end up getting last year? Was it less than the QO?

The answer is both yes and no. As far as the amt per year, Lohse is "only" getting $ 11 mil per year, where the QO last year was $ 13 mil. However, he ended up with a 3 year deal vs. just a 1 year, so...

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
list them and we'll post them

Here we go: should we set a final deadline for picks?

Cano: Yankees
Ellsbury: Rangers- though this was done before the Fielder trade, I will stick with it.
Choo: Tigers
McCann: Rangers- but the Fielder trade affects this, so I will have to think about it.
Tanaka: Angels
Ervin Santana: Jays
Garza: Yankees
Kuroda: Yankees
Burnett: Pirates
Napoli: Red Sox
Jimenez: Padres -this was before Johnson signed there, so I may change this one
Beltran: Orioles
Granderson: White Sox
Drew: Cardinals
Salty: Wite Sox
Kazmir: Nats
Cruz: Mariners
Infante: I had him re-upping with Detroit before the Kinsler trade, so this wil change
Nathan: Tigers
Nolasco: Angels
Peralta: Yankees
Colon: Orioles
Arroyo: Mets
Balfour:Indians
Benoit: Yankees
Feldman: Twins
Morales: Mariners
Rodney: Yankees
Pierzynski:
Haren: A's
Loney: Pirates
Hughes: Padres
Hart: Brewers
Mujica: Rockies
McLouth: Mets
Uribe: Marlins
Maholm: Rockies
Joe Smith: Rockies
Morneau:Rays
Crain: Astros
Brian Wilson: D-Bax
Hammel: Mets
Halladay: Mariners

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellsbury: Tigers
Choo: Blue Jays
McCann: Angels
Jimenez: Mets
Granderson: Yankees
Kazm: DBacks
Infante: Royals
K Rod: Tigers
Morales: Mets
Pierzynski: Yankees
Hughes: Yankees
Uribe: Dbacks
Crain: Angels
Brian Wilson: Astros

Last edited by a moderator:

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellsbury: Tigers
Choo: Blue Jays
McCann: Angels
Jimenez: Mets
Granderson: Yankees
Kazm: DBacks
Infante: Royals
K Rod: Tigers
Morales: Mets
Pierzynski: Yankees
Hughes: Yankees
Uribe: Dbacks
Crain: Angels
Brian Wilson: Astros

Good call on Infante with the Royals. You definitely have the scoop there. I am going to put Infante there too. Makes the most sense.

Otherwise, we have many of the same predictions.