• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agents

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crap... Bryan Walters signed w/ the Jags... He was one hell of a punt returner... What on earth are we going to do now... :yes:

Put earl back there again :gaah:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have an incredible defense and now an offense that may be really tough to stop. I'm happy with a return game that just doesn't make mistakes. We don't need anything special back there -- just don't miff it or run it out of the EZ to the 12. Sometimes the only real chance other teams have to beat us is if we make catastrophic mistakes in the ST game. Just play it safe back there and we're good.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see a guy like Cecil Short, Nate Washington, Donnie Avery, or Brandon Tate get signed as depth at WR and as our primary PR...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to set the bar a bit higher for the return game then make no mistakes myself.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like to set the bar a bit higher for the return game then make no mistakes myself.

Agree... It's like going in prevent defense with the "Make no mistake" mindset... We struggled in Field position at times because of our awful PR team...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree... It's like going in prevent defense with the "Make no mistake" mindset... We struggled in Field position at times because of our awful PR team...
I would like to see some stats on that because it doesn't sound correct. If you're talking KO returns, then I would agree. We sucked there.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catch the ball cleanly and give it to the O with no penalties and we'll be just fine.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Catch the ball cleanly and give it to the O with no penalties and we'll be just fine.
I know what your saying. The defense and offense can get it done without great returns. That may be true..or not. Still I go with PC always compete here and always try to get better and that includes STs. A gifted kick returner would be a blessing. Someone who holds on to the ball and still make the occasional great return. That is what the Seahawks should strive for IMO.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our PR team was ranked 25th last year...

2014 NFL Team Returning Stats - National Football League - ESPN

We were tied for 2nd overall with the most fair catches...

2014 NFL Team Returning Stats - National Football League - ESPN

PR team did us no favors last year...
Ok, but that's not really what you said though. You said our field position was bad because of our PR team. That presupposes bad field position and that it was caused by our punt return ineptitude.

What I'm saying is our defense is going to give us good field position on its own, and all we really need our PR to do is not mess it up and let our O go to work. I am not disagreeing we don't return punts for a bunch of yards.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, but that's not really what you said though. You said our field position was bad because of our PR team. That presupposes bad field position and that it was caused by our punt return ineptitude.

What I'm saying is our defense is going to give us good field position on its own, and all we really need our PR to do is not mess it up and let our O go to work. I am not disagreeing we don't return punts for a bunch of yards.

We can't always rely on our defense... We have to have depth and that goes for ST's too... What if Sherman and Thomas get hurt and are out the rest of the season after week 3? It's not likely but the LOB isn't always going to play an entire season... We've been fortunate that they haven't been hurt too much but their getting some miles under their belt... Our PR team has done us zero favors... If it's a punt w/in the 20, it was more than likely going to remain w/in the 20... We need an improvement in that area instead of just settling or being content with someone just fair catching it half the time and the other half returning it for only 7 yards...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can't always rely on our defense... We have to have depth and that goes for ST's too... What if Sherman and Thomas get hurt and are out the rest of the season after week 3? It's not likely but the LOB isn't always going to play an entire season... We've been fortunate that they haven't been hurt too much but their getting some miles under their belt... Our PR team has done us zero favors... If it's a punt w/in the 20, it was more than likely going to remain w/in the 20... We need an improvement in that area instead of just settling or being content with someone just fair catching it half the time and the other half returning it for only 7 yards...
I'm all for trying to improve every facet of the team. What I'm saying is punt returning is not vital to the success of our team because it's so strong in other areas. We can what-if ourselves into any scenario. What if grandma had balls? She would be grandpa.

Personally, I'm just relieved when the other team punts and our returner fields it cleanly and there is no penalty. We do that every time and I'm happy. If we can find someone to do better than that, awesome, but we don't need to break our ass to get a guy who averages 2 more yards a return.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't want to start a new thread but I noticed that all 5 losses (Including the SB) we had last year, we scored over 20 points in every one of those games...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Return game is so underrated. We were nearly dead last in kick return average last year. Starting on the 25 or so while the Ravens (#1) are starting on the 33-34 is a HUGE difference. Also makes it easier on your D if you have a good punter (which we do) that can pin a team inside the 20. Punting from the 35-40, pretty easy to pin inside the 20. From the 25-30? Not so much.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Return game is so underrated. We were nearly dead last in kick return average last year. Starting on the 25 or so while the Ravens (#1) are starting on the 33-34 is a HUGE difference. Also makes it easier on your D if you have a good punter (which we do) that can pin a team inside the 20. Punting from the 35-40, pretty easy to pin inside the 20. From the 25-30? Not so much.

Shark, where are you getting the #s? The punt return game didn't earn much extra yards, but according to these, Seattle was 4th in avg starting field position at 30.16.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2014 OFFENSIVE DRIVE STATS

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shark, where are you getting the #s? The punt return game didn't earn much extra yards, but according to these, Seattle was 4th in avg starting field position at 30.16.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2014 OFFENSIVE DRIVE STATS

Oh I was just hypothesizing, if the ball is received at the 5 yard line, then Seattle is getting back to around the 25 whereas Baltimore would be another 7 yards further.

Purely off kick return average. Maybe we played some weaker kick off teams or something. Anyway, that's all I was stating. Our kick return average was 21 or so and Baltimore was 28. That's a pretty big diff. to me.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Reggie Bush is signing with San Fran.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you guys feel about Greg Jennings?

He's no longer the explosive catch a slant and take it 60 yards for a td type of wr anymore, but he runs good routes, has reliable hands, and still has good enough speed to play the game.

I know the popular consensus is that we should develop young wrs and I do agree. But I feel like our young guys and the team in general would benefit having a reliable veteran like Greg Jennings.