• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agents

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Hardy on a 1yr prove it deal. He'd be ready to go for the playoff run.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Hardy on a 1yr prove it deal. He'd be ready to go for the playoff run.

The current rumor is that he's headed to Dallas to take a physical and if he ends up there, that's fine with me. The Seahawks did their homework on him, which they should have, but I'm not convinced that they were ever serious about him. Talent-wise, he'd be a nice addition. It's everything else that presents a problem. Hardy's situation would have been a big and unnecessary distraction. After the Harvin thing and the "RW isn't 'black enough'" thing and the media vs. Marshawn Lynch (part 2) thing, the Hawks could use an off-season and regular season with a little less drama.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find myself wondering how the Seahawks are in the running for Hardy, they don't have a lot left to spend. The fact that the Cowboys are the only other team bidding, kind gives me a worried feeling about adding him. Hardy is talent on the field, so the red flags must really be flying to keep 30 other teams from even trying to land him on the cheap. Most likely he ends signing with the Cowboys or some other team comes in at the last minute. Might be for the best.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. They only save $2M and lose one of the best DEs in the league (#3 combined sacks/hits/hurries only behind Watt/Houston last season). Atlanta would have to give up too much. It would take like their 1st and next years second and Atlanta would be INSANE to do that.

Probably a dumb question but how would a Bennett trade look afterwards towards the seahawks salary cap? Would the Seahawks just be on the hook for one season of the 2 mill in dead cap or would there be 2 mill in dead cap money for each of the next three years left on his contract?

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find myself wondering how the Seahawks are in the running for Hardy, they don't have a lot left to spend. The fact that the Cowboys are the only other team bidding, kind gives me a worried feeling about adding him. Hardy is talent on the field, so the red flags must really be flying to keep 30 other teams from even trying to land him on the cheap. Most likely he ends signing with the Cowboys or some other team comes in at the last minute. Might be for the best.

Releasing Mebane+McDaniel=8 mill so I'm guessing if they could get Hardy for around that, they could afford him.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Releasing Mebane+McDaniel=8 mill so I'm guessing if they could get Hardy for around that, they could afford him.
Yeah, but do they really want to release those guys for a prove it deal on a player who most likely is going to miss at least 6 games?

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it's debatable but I would. Both are 30 and didn't have the best season last year. I'm sure they could get by with a stopgap for 6 games especially since this draft is said to be deep in d-linemen.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably a dumb question but how would a Bennett trade look afterwards towards the seahawks salary cap? Would the Seahawks just be on the hook for one season of the 2 mill in dead cap or would there be 2 mill in dead cap money for each of the next three years left on his contract?

The signing bonus accelerates against Seattle in the event of a trade and Atlanta would take on his base salary. His base salary for 2015 is $6M so Atlanta takes that on. Bennett originally signed an $8M signing bonus of which $2M hit in 2014. That means, even though remaining $6M is spread over the next 3 years ($2M per) it all accelerates forward.

Seattle would therefore see an impact of +$2M since Bennett's hit for this year is $8M in total. $8M Cap Hit - $6M signing accelerate = $2M remaining.

Can't necessarily always look at dead money which generally signifies the impact of releasing a player (trade is a bit different since the tradee takes on a portion of the impact).

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't necessarily always look at dead money which generally signifies the impact of releasing a player (trade is a bit different since the tradee takes on a portion of the impact).

Correct. Michael Bennett's dead money for release is $12 and his dead money for trade is $6 million because Bennett's $6 million salary is guaranteed this year, and in a trade it's someone else who pays the salary.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas signed Hardy, so scratch him off your list.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The current rumor is that he's headed to Dallas to take a physical and if he ends up there, that's fine with me. The Seahawks did their homework on him, which they should have, but I'm not convinced that they were ever serious about him. Talent-wise, he'd be a nice addition. It's everything else that presents a problem. Hardy's situation would have been a big and unnecessary distraction. After the Harvin thing and the "RW isn't 'black enough'" thing and the media vs. Marshawn Lynch (part 2) thing, the Hawks could use an off-season and regular season with a little less drama.

I see your point, Hardy does have a lot of red flags but I was thinking our team defensive leaders would keep him in check with a positive attitude. Plus if he F'd up again, he would be cut. No need to worry since he's off to Dallas.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Hardy to Dallas. And from what I hear of the major contract terms, it's written to protect the team pretty well against suspension or any situation where Hardy isn't playing. I'm sure it would have been a similar approach here.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But if you do that and Hardy is suspended for any significant length of time, you're pretty much screwed on the defensive line. You'd be using up a decent chunk of money on Hardy instead of two guys who can still play at a high level, and if he gets suspended, you're left with guys who are cheaper but significantly less experienced/talented than Mebane and/or McDaniel. I'm glad that the Hawks didn't get Hardy. He may turn out to be a nice signing for Dallas, but hopefully people don't take that to mean he would have worked out here too.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if you do that and Hardy is suspended for any significant length of time, you're pretty much screwed on the defensive line. You'd be using up a decent chunk of money on Hardy instead of two guys who can still play at a high level, and if he gets suspended, you're left with guys who are cheaper but significantly less experienced/talented than Mebane and/or McDaniel. I'm glad that the Hawks didn't get Hardy. He may turn out to be a nice signing for Dallas, but hopefully people don't take that to mean he would have worked out here too.

Yup, would've been risky but could be debated both ways..... thinking about it I'm probably glad overall the Hawks didn't sign him.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tight end Tony Moeaki signs with Atlanta. Sorry to see him go but the TE position seems to be deep so not a big loss. He was tough when we needed him.

TJack visiting with Miami as we speak. This could be a problem for a back up QB. If Wilson gets injured we could be screwed.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tight end Tony Moeaki signs with Atlanta. Sorry to see him go but the TE position seems to be deep so not a big loss. He was tough when we needed him.

TJack visiting with Miami as we speak. This could be a problem for a back up QB. If Wilson gets injured we could be screwed.

Sorry to lose Moeaki but JG>>>>TM.
We are trying to resign Tarvaris, but it might be as simple as him looking for his best opportunity to play some ball.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if you count Graham as a WR, which I do, there wasnt room for Moeaki. He was a good fill-in when the top TEs went down this year, but Luke W, McCoy, and Helfet are the 3 right now.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but you can't really count on McCoy at this point. If he can stay healthy I just consider it a bonus but I am certainly not counting on it.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but you can't really count on McCoy at this point. If he can stay healthy I just consider it a bonus but I am certainly not counting on it.
That's fair, but right now he's holding down a spot with a fresh contract. If he gets injured again later on, you can always grab a guy like Moeaki out of the recycle bin.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but do they really want to release those guys for a prove it deal on a player who most likely is going to miss at least 6 games?
He'll miss at least 6 games but then he'll be in trouble shortly after he plays - if not before.....
This guy has real problems - add to this the guns. I would like to have seen him go to Miami.....