• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent Frenzy thread

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it is that the 3 year length is insignificant with him being under 35 because if he retires or gets injured it doesn't stay on the books. The NTC is ridiculous IMO and should never have been given out, that said we still need to see what kind of NTC it actually is because Cleary is the type of player some teams may actually try to target come the trade deadline. I'm thinking this means Talbot is probably being moved in all honesty. I know both he and Coburn were linked to MTL earlier for shit the Flyers didn't want/need so maybe that has changed. I could also see this being a very attractive package for EDM at this point and they have tons of organizational depth & the cap space to take on this types of contracts (I think this would make EDM a much better team, but that's just my humble opinion).

I am relatively sure by waiving a few guys and maybe demoting 1-2 players for a day that the Flyers will be cap compliant when Pronger goes on ltir. I just don't really see how this helps the long term problems we're currently staring at, then again when has Flyers management ever looked past the upcoming season?

It might just be because it's late and I'm exhausted and unable to sleep but I just can't really figure this particular move out knowing who we have in or system now unless another trade is coming...

Also if Hal Gill makes this team by some miracle I'm going to hire a midget to junk punch Homer repeatedly while I hold him in place (wearing a cup, you know in case the midget has bad aim).

Man, trading Talbot would be a baaaaaaad move. He's not going to light up the lamp 40 times a season, but he's one of those guys that everyone wishes they had. He has a cup, so teams would want him for some playoff leadership. He kills penalties, and actually does better than just kill them - he's got 15 shorties in his career. He's defensively responsible, which is pretty rare on our forward roster. Sure, his cap hit's a touch higher than I'd like, but there's not many available guys out there that bring what he does to the table.

I know you were just saying what you thought might happen rather than what you thought should happen, Bandit, but either way, trading Talbot without getting something decent back is a mistake to me.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he could be very good for the 3rd line duties. Look who they got on the 3rd line right now. Meszaros, Grossmann, Gervais, Gustafsson, & Bourdon. I think Gill brings more to the ice than any of those guys. I could actually see a Gill-Lauridsen 3rd defensive paring being very good for the Flyers.

D1: Timonen - Schenn
D2 - Streit - Coburn
D3 - Lauridsen - Gill

Not a bad blue line IMO.

Don't you think Gill is prone to be more of a liability than productive? I think he could be useful in those situations where he plays every 3rd game or so. Keep his legs fresh, maybe play him in some favorable match ups.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, I think Hal Gill could be good on the Flyers. He's no doubt slow, but he has great presence in front of his own net and can be a good mentor to the younger players. Actually wouldn't mind my Pens getting Hal Gill for the 3rd line this season. Not sayin' I'm right & you're wrong, we're all entitled to our opinions, but I think you should be more open minded about Hal Gill, could be a very good 3rd liner for the Flyers IMO.

Hal Gill of 2013 is not Hal Gill of 2009. There's a reason he was waived by the Preds, and a reason he wasn't picked up shortly thereafter. He's 38 (wooooahhh), and slower than ever. He was a decent option in a very specific role when he was younger, but we're four years out from seeing "good" hockey from him. I'll always love the guy for what he did for the Pens, but he's just far separated from those days. I really think he'd be a very bad idea in Philly.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't you think Gill is prone to be more of a liability than productive? I think he could be useful in those situations where he plays every 3rd game or so. Keep his legs fresh, maybe play him in some favorable match ups.

I wouldn't go so far to have him be a healthy scratch every other game, but put him in special situations like when the Flyers have to take a face off in their own zone, keep his minutes low, and not play him against the bottom dwellers of the league. I think he could work out well if they use him right.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hal Gill of 2013 is not Hal Gill of 2009. There's a reason he was waived by the Preds, and a reason he wasn't picked up shortly thereafter. He's 38 (wooooahhh), and slower than ever. He was a decent option in a very specific role when he was younger, but we're four years out from seeing "good" hockey from him. I'll always love the guy for what he did for the Pens, but he's just far separated from those days. I really think he'd be a very bad idea in Philly.

He's not who he used to be, but he still knows how to defend the low slot, block shots, & clear bodies/puck away from the goalie. I think those things can be very beneficial when you need to make a defensive stop & have to take a face off in your own zone. He gives the Flyers a defensive presence they don't have otherwise. He's obviously not good enough to turn the blue line around but he does help in areas where they need it.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the flyers defense is extremely underrated. keep in mind they played 13 different dmen last year, in 48 games. that's how bad the injuries got. a 3rd pair of meszaros and grossmann, if they're healthy, is better than a lot of team's second pairs.

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@BroadStBull: Homer confirms Cleary will be here on tryout. "But there are no promises" on a deal, he insisted.

Not sure I believe that comment...mostly because I can't see Cleary leaving DET just for a PTO.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@BroadStBull: Homer confirms Cleary will be here on tryout. "But there are no promises" on a deal, he insisted.

Not sure I believe that comment...mostly because I can't see Cleary leaving DET just for a PTO.

Detroit was offering Cleary a PTO too

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Luongo was offered a GTO which is why he's back in Vancouver...

280px-1969_GTO_Judge.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was sort of my point. I'd be a bit surprised if he left the place he's played his career for the same offer.

The initial story had him willing to accept the PTO with the Red Wings ... but if I was him ... Id see that as a big kick in the junk from a team you bled for and I would look elsewhere for another opportunity ... I can buy your theory that something more may have been promised though

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a somewhat related Wings note, how far has Damien Brunner's stock fallen that it looks like he's headed back to Europe to play hockey this year? Of course, it could be the case that he's just asking for too much money and teams are passing on the dollar amount.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For all the shit Bryz got in Philly the last few years, he'd be a solid option for the Panthers imo. He'd come on the cheap to prove he belongs there and if he hit his stride could steal the #1 job easily and help them push for a playoff berth in a insanely difficult conference.

I don't see Loungo going anywhere now since Schneider is gone. Have I mentioned how much I hate that fucking trade, now I have to see another good goalie in NJ for the next 20 years...

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the PTO is a front for camp until Pronger can come off the books? I dunno...seems like that's dangerous for Cleary, because what if he gets hurt in camp? Screwed. Either way, he's wearing orange for a bit.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Johan Hedberg is still looking for a job. The Devils offered him a position in the organization if he doesn't play this season.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Florida, Brad Boyes is going to the Pans on a PTO - He had a pretty good year for the Isles last season, kinda surprised he couldn't land more than a tryout.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Florida, Brad Boyes is going to the Pans on a PTO - He had a pretty good year for the Isles last season, kinda surprised he couldn't land more than a tryout.

Too many teams too close (or over) the cap. Causing a lot of talented vets to be without homes.