• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent Frenzy thread

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors from Kevin Dupont at the Globe that the B's may be looking to move Marchand or Kelly.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The TSN guys were doing it after they signed Alfie. I like Alfie for the most part, but I don't think he makes them greatly better than they were last year. If Howard has another solid season I put them near the top certainly, but some guys made it seem like they were runaway favorites. Twitter experts do it as well...but we know their reliability...

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

I think they are just allowing that aura of the Wings to influence. I'd put the Wings in the #4-#7 range in the East right now.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger Multiple teams interested in M.Raymond, contrary to reports, his agent J.P. Barry says he has had no discussions with Calgary to date, none.

I also read an earlier tweet from Roger 'C*cksucker' Millions that said while Raymond is interested in the Flames, the Flames have very little interest in Raymond.

Good news!

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this is OT/going off on a tangent, but re: Detroit in the Eastern Conference, I think there's basically no way for them to finish lower than 4th (or 3rd).

I didn't really pay much attention to the final division/conference/whatever layout so I don't know who they'll get to beat up on repeatedly but still... it's the Eastern Conference and the Red Wings were "too good" for the majority of opponents there even before they signed Alfie.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is anyone actually doing that? I think the Wings are likely to make the playoffs (tough prediction, I know!), but I don't think they are close to tops in the conference.

I think both conferences are fairly even right now. The only big change is that the West will have fewer teams and a (bullshit) better chance to make the playoffs.

I honestly don't expect the Isles to make the playoffs next year. The addition of the Wings & Bluejackets made the conference tougher than it already was. I expect Carolina to bounce back with Ward healthy as well.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly don't expect the Isles to make the playoffs next year. The addition of the Wings & Bluejackets made the conference tougher than it already was. I expect Carolina to bounce back with Ward healthy as well.

TSN showed the new divisions with last years' points and with Detroit in, Isles didn't make it. Columbus was one point ahead of them too.

Should be real tight this year.

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a wings fan i am excited for the change but nervous. i feel like i have been watching hockey for too long to believe in "runaway favorites." like sasquatch, loch ness and honest politicians, every once in a while there is a sighting, but usually the reality is underwhelming.

just wanna see them compete with the excitement of some new faces/chemistry, let the chips fall where they may.

also, in general, i don't really think the relative strength of a conference will determine a team's strength. most teams adjust somewhat to the level of competition. a good team will be a good team regardless of the conference. you can't just look at points and say x team would finish in y position in one conference but would finish in z position in the other. its oversimplifying and doesnt account for how the team would actually play against the competition.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Karl Alzner signs a 4-year deal with the Caps for $2.8 million per year.

GREAT deal for the Caps. He's our defensive rock. Besides, you can't have Karlzner without the Karl.

Takes away the sting of losing Matt Hendricks.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Devils reportedly getting close to a deal with Brunner

/source; Tom Gulitti

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

GREAT deal for the Caps. He's our defensive rock. Besides, you can't have Karlzner without the Karl.

This IS a fantastic deal for the Caps. Alzner is one of the most underrated defensive D-men out there.

I even like this deal as a Sens fan; I can't see Cowen going over this amount.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Nashville Predator Jonathon Blum signs up for one year with the Wild.

www.twincities.com

... But how much of that year will be spent in Des Moines?

I don't really get why Nashville gave up on this guy at age 24. To me he's a legit NHL D-man with some offensive upside.

Seems odd to me. I think the Wild got a decent player here.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you know Gillis wasn't interested, he avoids former Vancouver Giants (and the WHL for that matter) like the plague.

/Okay, he nabbed Shinkaruk this draft, but that's because the Flames goofed.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Will Alzner be an UFA at the end of the contract?

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm interested to see how many years & how much he gets after 1 year in Detroit. Apparently he wants 3 to 3.5M per year.

He looked real good in the playoffs but his limited NHL experience makes me a little nervous....but I'd like him on my team!

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Devils reportedly getting close to a deal with Brunner

/source; Tom Gulitti

@SpectorsHockey 2h
FWIW, @SwissNHL claims Damien Brunner's will sign tomorrow with the #NJDevils. Two years, $3 million per.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are the conferences listed and how will the div be broken up? Has this all been decided yet?, As to how many teams make the playoffs and div names?

I want to get the team forums set up so this info would help.

Thanks