• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free agency rumors....

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For us, the fans, the draft should be shocking, but for Kelly, I think we will know almost all of it before the draft as he is going to have a very different draft board than most teams and end up drafting several players that seem like a huge reach to most of us. But its the guys that he wants, that fit his culture and style of play. No use getting good value if your not getting a player that fits here and will be unsuccessful.

Sounds like Marcus Smith all over again

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't we already in the Bradford nightmare? Mariota would be like a wet dream at this point.

Isn't Goldson's contract horrible thus the reason Tampa wants to trade or cut him? Would rather sign him as a FA if that's what they want to do for the other S spot.

I don't want to wait too late, and someone else beats to the punch.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Marcus Smith all over again

Marcus Smith was Howie's pick. They both acknowledged that. Chip wanted to trade up for a guy he liked, but Howie thought they could get them at #22, which didn't happen, so he panicked and took Smith.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus Smith was Howie's pick. They both acknowledged that. Chip wanted to trade up for a guy he liked, but Howie thought they could get them at #22, which didn't happen, so he panicked and took Smith.

I just don't buy that it was that simple, especially in the first round. What round wouldn't have plans for every scenario in the first round?

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't buy that it was that simple, especially in the first round. What round wouldn't have plans for every scenario in the first round?

You're right Deano. They were targeting Cooks, Beckham, and a couple others that i can't recall right now offhand, but they panicked and grabbed a pass rushing OLB in Smith. They should, of course, picked Dennard, Roby, and a slew of other prospects, but Howie really did blow it. That's why this offseason, chip went to Lurie to put an end to this circus. Chip was promised that he was going to be able to get his players, and so Howie had to be repositioned. This is the truth.

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wasn't it OBJ or Cooks? But they seemed rather reluctant to part with picks to move up. Maybe that will change with Chip in charge.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was clearly Howie's pick or Chip wouldn't have gotten full control and Howie wouldn't have gotten a huge demotion.

EagleUpNorth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't it OBJ or Cooks? But they seemed rather reluctant to part with picks to move up. Maybe that will change with Chip in charge.

I think it was defense, likely ha ha or mosely.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was defense, likely ha ha or mosely.

Yes, you're right. I couldn't think of the other prospects they wanted, but they were gone, so Howie panicked. Obviously chip didn't want Smith, since he couldn't even play special teams. I hope he develops into a decent player though.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles were talking to Adam Carriker at the veterans combine. Former WAS DE in two years removed from knee surgery.

Taz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man this slobering over Kelly on this board is staggering. First off Howie doesnt get moved out of the GM spot for one 1st round pick that was terrible in his rookie year. Especially when you look at his track record the two prior years. I am sure the same knob slobbers who blame Howie for drafing Smith are giving Kelly all the credit for Jordan Mathews in round 2. It was all Chip getting Cody Parkey, Darrin Sproles last year. Chip drafted Lane Johnson, Zach Ertz signed Conner Barwin etc. They were a tandem. Did they panic at 22. No they didnt panic. The cost to move up two spots was a 3rd round pick staggering for a two spot drop in the ladder 3rd of first round of the draft. Instead they gained a 3rd round pick by trading back 4 spots. Now they picked Smith who they had rated high as did some others drafting around them. Could they have went elsewhere, sure they could. But Howie wasnt going to say Screw you Chip I am taking my guy.No way that happens they came upon that pick as a concensus.

Chip is using this as a way to seperate himself from what appears to be a bad pick. So be it. Makes Chip look better.

Just think about this for a minute. This is the second time that Lurie has given his head coach this much authroity. Maybe this is the way that Jeffrey likes his organization structure. He wasnt going to let Chip do this at the begining he had to prove himself to Jeffrey. Once he did he talks to Chip and Howie, Chip says yes but he wants his own guy. Howie knew this was going to happened all along. Doesnt like but stays loyal. Axes Gamble because Chip really didnt want him. Lurie "promotes" Howie and continues to groom him for Smolenskis role down the line.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sense is that the process that led to the selection of Marcus Smith bothered Chip. It was too much of a committee approach and it resulted in the team picking a guy no one really wanted, but who was a "consensus" choice as a backup. Chip said screw that, I need to be able to make those calls because I have to live with the consequences, and Lurie reluctantly said, OK, let's try it your way.

It sounds like Chip wanted to draft Jordan Mathews as his "compromise" guy in the first round. We wound up trading up and selecting him in the second. So yes, the player panned out, but Howie may have been right that you didn't need to take him in round one obviously.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the good prospects that we passed over in the 1st round: Roby, Dennard, etc. Guys that actually contributed in their first year. Chip knows talent.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have high hopes for Marcus Smith, regardless who picked him. Many of us liked him as a 2nd round prospect with high upside. He should be living at the gym and getting stronger every day. I'll wait to see how this kid looks like in camp before panicking. If he physically looks the same it would be VERY disappointing.

EagleUpNorth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have high hopes for Marcus Smith, regardless who picked him. Many of us liked him as a 2nd round prospect with high upside. He should be living at the gym and getting stronger every day. I'll wait to see how this kid looks like in camp before panicking. If he physically looks the same it would be VERY disappointing.

The chip on his shoulder should only push him harder too.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Casey Matthews is a Viking so Marcus' spot is safe.