• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Frank Gore extended

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
you change the topic on your own from 30 years old to "end of his career", ie creating your own scenario, and then attack like someone else said it?

nice strategy cause if you set the scenario to fail, you'd always be right.

Should we check the ages those guys took nose dives at?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So deep, here's the ages.

LT was 29 when he took a nose dive
Emmitt Smith was 32
Stephen Davis was 30
Clinton Portis was 28 (he turned 30 TODAY)
Edgerrin James was 30
Willis McGahee was 27
Jamal Lewis was 30 (he was out of the league at 31)
Corey Dillon was 31
Rudi Johnson was 28
Shaun Alexander was 29
Deuce McCallister was 29
Eddie George was 31

So it would appear that "end of career" and "30 years old" are rather synonymous. But why should I expect anyone to know that about RBs. It isn't as if every year everyone talks about 30 years old is some metaphorical wall that EVERY RB seems to hit.

For the record, Gore is 28 and hasn't played 16 games since he was 23. But it's silly to think that what seems to happen to ever feature RB may also happen to him.

BTW,
Charlie Garner was 31
Ricky Watters was 32
Derek Loville was 12.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha Ha, Loville was 12 when his career tanked. Ha Ha, that is so funny. Cruel, but funny.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
Frank Gore's new contract includes no risks for 49ers. SportsHoopla.com/rrUACC

There's very limited downside to this contract for the 49ers. FO has done a very good job this offseason imo.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldson has to be feeling really dumb right now lol

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Holy Shit! This deal just gets better and better! If I understand correctly, the most dead-money we can incur with this contract is $3.3M. Way to go Trent & Paraag!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Goldson has to be feeling really dumb right now lol

No shit! Now Goldson has to play for that contract instead of getting paid before he plays. I know not everyone agrees with this, but I am seeing the beginning of things coming together from the FO to the field. I hope I'm not being fooled.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Anyone want to reconsider joining me in being pissed the Niners cavwed to Gore's contract demands?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
But nobody knew Gore would get this bad this quickly.

Nobody knew he wouldn't. I knew it was a dumb move though.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But nobody knew Gore would get this bad this quickly.

Nobody knew he wouldn't. I knew it was a dumb move though.

Furthermore, it wasn't as if we signed him through this season. He's here for a few years. Everyone should have expected him to breakdown in the someone near future.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Next week should be a good test. If he can't get going against Philly, we're in serious trouble. Good thing we snagged Hunter.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Furthermore, it wasn't as if we signed him through this season. He's here for a few years. Everyone should have expected him to breakdown in the someone near future.

It was expected(as is all RBs).... still plenty of season for Gore to pick it up... at least he's not sour about Hunter(didn't look like) getting in there. He's team first and always has been.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The point is the Niners could have negotiated with him AFTER the season for less money. Not only would they not have had to give him 13 million gurenteed, but they would've been able to negotiate to keep him around at a position of much more strength because it would be clear Gore didn't have another big contract in him.

But Baalke had to be Mr. Card table & give him the money BEFORE they saw if he could even play any more after that nasty hip injury. I'm not impressed with the foresight of the guy; he showed restraint in FA, but he's shown zero instincts IMO.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point is the Niners could have negotiated with him AFTER the season for less money. Not only would they not have had to give him 13 million gurenteed, but they would've been able to negotiate to keep him around at a position of much more strength because it would be clear Gore didn't have another big contract in him.

But Baalke had to be Mr. Card table & give him the money BEFORE they saw if he could even play any more after that nasty hip injury. I'm not impressed with the foresight of the guy; he showed restraint in FA, but he's shown zero instincts IMO.

Can't fault him though, Gore has shown genuine loyalty to the franchise, ended his holdout on his own to learn and prepare with the team, he's been a good RB for us when healthy.

If not this season, Gore's past play earned him a new contract. What if Gore broke out and ran ridiculously, the contract could've gone up?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Can't fault him though, Gore has shown genuine loyalty to the franchise, ended his holdout on his own to learn and prepare with the team, he's been a good RB for us when healthy.

You don't reward loyalty with more money. You reward VALUE with more money. I'm just as loyal as Gore; I'm not worth the money he got to run the ball, and neither is he.

If not this season, Gore's past play earned him a new contract.

No it didn't.

What if Gore broke out and ran ridiculously, the contract could've gone up?

What if Alex Smith did the same thing? Does that mean because it's possible he MIGHT go off he deserves a big contract for 3 more years? You go with the odds; and he was a 28 year old RB coming off a major hip injury. You wait & see if he's worth keeping for 3 more years. You don't assume he's going to defy normality and out-perform all but a few 29-32 year old RBs in the history of the league.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baalke definitely screwed up with this. I let being a fan get in the way of wanting him back, and I ignored the hip injury. I guess I ignored it because we really have no idea what the exact injury was, the 49ers and Gore hid the extensiveness of the injury. Whichever part of the hip bone that he broke, it's clearly slowed him down along with robbing him of his power.