• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Frank Gore extended

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Can someone remind me how Walsh and Eddie D took care of the aging players on the roster like Lott, Craig, Montana and later Rice?

It seems rather hypocritical to clamour for the old days and at the same time praise this as a wonderful move. I'm not saying it was a mistake, Gore brings a lot more to the franchise than his production, but I'm far from convinced it was the right move also.

Personally, I would have let the season play out and re-visit the issue in February. We just gave a pretty good chunk of change to a player who has, I believe, played 16 games once in his career as the starter and has 0 of the original parts in his legs.

Keep in mind too an NFL contract is just a useless scrap of paper and if Gore loses his usefulness the team will just release him or ask him to restructure.

The way I look at it is Gore won't net anything in the trade market worth our wile, his contract isn't killing our cap by any means, and he's not really blocking anyone on the roster so giving him the extension is helping the team more than hurting it.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Niners did not let go of Lott, Craig, Montana, and Rice without their replacement in place. Tim McDonald basically replaced Lott, Ricky Watters replaced Roger Craig, Steve Young replaced Joe Montana, and TO replaced Rice. Right now, the Niners do not have any one in their current roster proven to take over the production that Gore gives them. Plus just because they gave him an extension, unless there is a no trade clause, it does not preclude them trading him before his extension is up...

Really? When Ronnie Lott left, Tim McDonald was playing for the Cardinals. McDonald didn't come to SF until 1993. Lott's last year in SF was 1991.

Did they really have McDonald in place as an All Pro in Arizona/Phoenix when they let Lott go? That sounds like tampering.

Ricky Watters arrived in 1992. Roger Craig left in 1990.

By that standard if we had traded Gore this year we would have until 2013 to get a new RB and that would fit your criteria of having his replacement in place. The best part is, it could be a FA or draft pick.

So how can we say his replacement is not in place with a two year window?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Keep in mind too an NFL contract is just a useless scrap of paper and if Gore loses his usefulness the team will just release him or ask him to restructure.

The way I look at it is Gore won't net anything in the trade market worth our wile, his contract isn't killing our cap by any means, and he's not really blocking anyone on the roster so giving him the extension is helping the team more than hurting it.

As long as he doesn't get injured. Then it's money we don't have. If we release him, there is dead money. Restructuring creates dead money problems down the road. You can't just make that money go away.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Ok, lots of retorts to address...

Yes, a 4th rounder seems about right. If the Niners were smart they would've traded him years ago when he was more valuable; but rather they wated the prime of his career behind a pi$$ poor O-line and a bad team.

But not getting a 4th rounder isn't the worst part; the worst part is that the Niners folded like deck chairs. Gore was already under contract. They didn' have to give him 13 million in new money. He's not going to sit out a season at age 28. It simply won't happen. The Niners showed how they have no backbone in upper management.

As far as having a capable replacement goes, it doesn't matter when you're probably a last place team. Bad teams need to make good LONG term decisions. Also, he's a RB, not a QB. RB is becoming less and less valuaable as time goes on.

And my point about TO is that you don't make personnel decisions based on how much a guy has done in the past. That's dumb. You make them based on what they're likely to do in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think we could get a 2nd round pick from a team that needs a RB and has a Super Bowl calibre team. If we could trade players on draft day, and you're New England, New Orleans, Indy or Green Bay would you have traded a 2nd round pick for him (before the Pats, Colts and Saints drafted RB)?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
With the new CBA a player has absolutely no leverage when holding out except the impact of him not being on the team that year. Another way of putting it is if the team never budges the player is screwed. The team holds all the cards when a player tries to pull this crap and they caved! What a bunch of losers! If Harbaugh makes this franchise a winner I think it'll be DESPITE this inept management team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok, lots of retorts to address...

Yes, a 4th rounder seems about right. If the Niners were smart they would've traded him years ago when he was more valuable; but rather they wated the prime of his career behind a pi$$ poor O-line and a bad team.

But not getting a 4th rounder isn't the worst part; the worst part is that the Niners folded like deck chairs. Gore was already under contract. They didn' have to give him 13 million in new money. He's not going to sit out a season at age 28. It simply won't happen. The Niners showed how they have no backbone in upper management.

As far as having a capable replacement goes, it doesn't matter when you're probably a last place team. Bad teams need to make good LONG term decisions. Also, he's a RB, not a QB. RB is becoming less and less valuaable as time goes on.

And my point about TO is that you don't make personnel decisions based on how much a guy has done in the past. That's dumb. You make them based on what they're likely to do in the future.

as everyone knew prior to the signing, depends on what the amount was? if Gore kept his demands as much or more than DW, the 49ers would've played it out.

but if you have an opportunity to extend him at a reasonable price, why not? to me his extension is very reasonable and everyone is happy.

so it wasn't the 49ers caving in or without backbone, they came to a good deal and took it. they can't cave in else set a bad precedence going forward.

i agree with your 'capable replacement' and 'TO' comments.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
but if you have an opportunity to extend him at a reasonable price, why not? to me his extension is very reasonable and everyone is happy.

Because instead of negotiating with a 28 year old RB whose future is largely in question after a brutal injury the niners could have negotiated with a 29 year old RB whose future is much more clear. At that point 13 million up front might not look so reasonable. They could've had a 3rd / 4th round rookie for at least 4 years rather than a 29 year old RB who'll probably be out of the league (or a backup) in a year or 2. The rook would've helped a lot more in 2013.

so it wasn't the 49ers caving in or without backbone, they came to a good deal and took it. they can't cave in else set a bad precedence going forward.

They didn't NEED to come to a deal. A deal was already in place. They could've shown Gore and the rest of the NFL they men business and they can't be manipulated; but they didn't.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But they didn't. Trading him now would be pointless if we don't get 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. I wouldn't do it for a 4th, which is what he'd probably get, IMO.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the new CBA a player has absolutely no leverage when holding out except the impact of him not being on the team that year. Another way of putting it is if the team never budges the player is screwed. The team holds all the cards when a player tries to pull this crap and they caved! What a bunch of losers! If Harbaugh makes this franchise a winner I think it'll be DESPITE this inept management team.

Couple things to note, here. Gore wasn't holding out. He held out briefly but was in camp when a deal was struck. Also, there's more value to Gore than just the stats. He's a hard worker and team leader who is ALSO productive in all three downs. You have a rookie HC on a team that really needs to come together, not sure if you can afford a disgruntled vet with those qualifications. If this had been a couple seasons into the Harbaugh regime and he had already built something, I think it's maybe a different outcome. And finally, the numbers don't seem really prohibitive anytime soon, if ever.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also i think if they played hardball with gore and treated it badly it could easily send a message to any player who might think about resigning/signing with us. Nobody will wanna play for a team with bad management. Also with gore being such a team guy and a leader on this team, by resinging him it gives the fans/players hope that we are trying to win.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also i think if they played hardball with gore and treated it badly it could easily send a message to any player who might think about resigning/signing with us. Nobody will wanna play for a team with bad management. Also with gore being such a team guy and a leader on this team, by resinging him it gives the fans/players hope that we are trying to win.

Yeah. No one wants to play for the Patriots with how they treat their veterans like Richard Seymour, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy . . .

And it was so hard to get people to SF when we were dropping guys like Montana, Lott and Craig.

If you win, people will want to play for you. If you offer the most money, people will want to play for you.

It's been said for years that no one will want to play for the Yorks, yet for a few years we were signing the biggest names in FA. How many players that we really wanted to keep have left in the last decade?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Because instead of negotiating with a 28 year old RB whose future is largely in question after a brutal injury the niners could have negotiated with a 29 year old RB whose future is much more clear. At that point 13 million up front might not look so reasonable. They could've had a 3rd / 4th round rookie for at least 4 years rather than a 29 year old RB who'll probably be out of the league (or a backup) in a year or 2. The rook would've helped a lot more in 2013.

They didn't NEED to come to a deal. A deal was already in place. They could've shown Gore and the rest of the NFL they men business and they can't be manipulated; but they didn't.

yes, a deal was already in place and i noted IF Gore had kept to HIGH demands, they would've played out his contract. the 49ers would NOT have caved in to Gore as you're claiming they did.

what was the other option for the 49ers............ignore Gore and tell him shut and play? cause you've already posted talking and negotiating wasn't an option.

your claim to trade Gore two years ago is similar (not same) as saying trade Vernon Davis now. then in 2013 when Davis isn't as good, you'll claim we should've traded him when he had more value.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gore should get a lot more rest this year.

We should get two very solid years out of him, and hopefully he doesn't start his nose dive at 30 (year 3)! Right before he left, Takeo Spikes did give him an elixir to keep him going for awhile.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gore should get a lot more rest this year.

We should get two very solid years out of him, and hopefully he doesn't start his nose dive at 30 (year 3)! Right before he left, Takeo Spikes did give him an elixir to keep him going for awhile.

yeah, i would project two more years at this high level? by year three age would mostly likely catch up to him, but its not like he'll nose dive?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, i would project two more years at this high level? by year three age would mostly likely catch up to him, but its not like he'll nose dive?

Because there's no precedent of RBs nose-diving at the end of their career.
Ladanian Tomlinson
Emmitt Smith
Stephen Davis
Clinton Portis
Edgerinn James
Willis McGahee (that's a lot of Hurricanes in a row)
Jamal Lewis
Corey Dillon
Rudi Johnson
Shaun Alexander
Deuce McCallister
Eddie George

Nah, it's not a common occurrence.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ration the elixir, Frank. In fact, put it in a safe for a few years.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Because there's no precedent of RBs nose-diving at the end of their career.
Ladanian Tomlinson
Emmitt Smith
Stephen Davis
Clinton Portis
Edgerinn James
Willis McGahee (that's a lot of Hurricanes in a row)
Jamal Lewis
Corey Dillon
Rudi Johnson
Shaun Alexander
Deuce McCallister
Eddie George

Nah, it's not a common occurrence.

you change the topic on your own from 30 years old to "end of his career", ie creating your own scenario, and then attack like someone else said it?

nice strategy cause if you set the scenario to fail, you'd always be right.