• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Forty_sixnad2 tweets Stewart Mandel

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(from yesterday)

VPIMikhalis27 Michael
@slmandel spends 3 paragraphs thrashing the Hokies but uses two words to defend Michigan "Fair Enough"...U are better than that #ESPNesque

(just now)

VPIMikhalis27 Michael
@slmandel can you tell me why you dogged the #Hokies so bad for the #SugarBowl while saying UM pick was "fair enough" #B1GSnobbery #NWGrad

This is all in response to his comments here:

The same folks who went to bat for Ohio State's Tattoo Five last year in order to preserve the "integrity" of their matchup gave the authors of Death to the BCS more fodder Sunday with their shocking and, quite frankly, unjustifiable selection of Virginia Tech for the BCS' last at-large spot. Their decision was so unexpected that as of mid-afternoon Sunday, the Chick-fil-A Bowl was fully preparing to announce its expected matchup of Virginia Tech-Auburn. The 11-2 Hokies had barely even been mentioned as a possibility late Saturday or early Sunday, and with good reason: They lost the ACC championship game 38-10.

Before continuing, I fully realize and accept that outside of the championship game, bowls are entitled to select the matchups they feel will sell the most tickets and draw the most eyeballs. But don't insult our intelligence, Paul Hoolahan. Which do you think the country would rather watch: Michigan vs. Virginia Tech or Michigan vs. Boise State? And while Hokies fans will certainly travel, they won't travel in greater numbers than fans of Boise or 10-2 Kansas State, the team widely expected to take that last spot -- and the team more deserving of the honor.

The Sugar Bowl had first choice of at-large teams to replace LSU and was well known to covet Michigan.
Fair enough. The Fiesta then took Stanford, at which point the Sugar again had its choice of available teams. Its options: No. 7 Boise State, in the last game of Kellen Moore's career; No. 8 Kansas State and the possibility of Bill Snyder's first BCS bowl in eight years; or No. 11 Virginia Tech, which, with all due respect to Frank Beamer, did not beat a single team that finished in the Top 25, got blown out both times it faced Clemson and played one of the least impressive nonconference schedules of any team in the country (Appalachian State, East Carolina, Arkansas State and Marshall).

Why, Hoolahan? Why?

"I think Virginia Tech has proven over the years the caliber of football team that they are," he said. "Frank Beamer is obviously one of the winningest active coaches in the FBS right now. ... I think he's going to perform extremely well. I think that team will be a great performer for us."
So to be clear: Virginia Tech is playing in this year's Sugar Bowl because of what it did ... before this year. Got it.

Read more: LSU-Alabama BCS title game rematch hysteria masking great game - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. But I would be surprised if you even get a response, because he really has no argument other than he is a fanboy

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
good work 46, stay after him.

and not that you need it but REP!

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I'm living it up at work (SoCal). I just throw it back and rub it in everybody's face...

Win 10 games in a row for a decade, travel to bowls like crazy, and you too can get selected to a BCS bowl over higher ranked teams. Why do you think Michigan got chosen? Why is Notre Dame always in a bowl above their record? Because they travel. You want to get in on this at-large action? Then always fill your stadium and then travel like a pack of hyenas to the bowl games. Want to keep going to the 2000 Flushes Tidy Bowl? Then don't travel and instead spend your time bitching and moaning about how unfair it is that Va Tech got chosen.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i jsut emailed him too

Spruce Moose

Cromulent Sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And while Hokies fans will certainly travel, they won't travel in greater numbers than fans of Boise or 10-2 Kansas State, the team widely expected to take that last spot -- and the team more deserving of the honor.

He doesn't really believe that, does he? I would expect Boise to bring a respectable amount of fans compared to what VT would bring, but not more than the Hokies. But Kansas State? I'm pretty damn sure Hokie fans would far outnumber Kansas State fans at any bowl game.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He doesn't really believe that, does he? I would expect Boise to bring a respectable amount of fans compared to what VT would bring, but not more than the Hokies. But Kansas State? I'm pretty damn sure Hokie fans would far outnumber Kansas State fans at any Kansas State home game

FIFY ;)