• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Former teammates face off - Rockies @ Giants - 5/19/24 - 1:05 PDT

sf1giantfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts:

1) Giants are on a roll
2) Our team is for real
3) Giants just needed a reminder that cheaper versions of them can replace them.
4) Pads and dogs better watch out
5) Our manager and coaches can now do their job properly now that the players have awaken
6) This is something special
7) I’m putting my prediction of 91 wins back on the table
8) Lee still has a chance of getting a ring
9) It’s Happenings, It’s Happening!!!!!

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ramos and Matos are looking great. Not certain if either are here to stay just yet, but they are both making strong cases to stay, even on a healthy roster.

So what happens when Conforto comes back? He has not shown that he deserves any special treatment. Make him the 4th OFer, or give him time at Yaz’s expense. I can’t see a future for Slater with the org any longer. Trade him for a lotto ticket.

Luciano is looking OK. Not kicking in any doors, but not tripping over his dick, either. I am OK with giving the job back to Ahmed when he returns, but I want to keep a very close eye on Lucky. The second he looks ready for another shot, adios, Ahmed.
Need to see more from Matos before I jump on the bandwagon

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bully looks solid. Avila is obviously the first to go down (for Snell, most likely), but after that, there really isn’t a weak point. Jackson isn’t doing as expected, but I am not ready to pull the eject button on him just yet. I like what I have seen from Rodriguez, but somebody has to be at the end of the bench, and he hasn’t earned anything beyond that at this point.
And Snell returns on Wednesday. That could be big

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched the game after a long walk with the dogs in Marin. Thoughts:

1. NewAce was good...I applaud the cautious approach of pulling him after 5. He avoided 3rd time through the order and 72 pitches is plenty while they slowly stretch him out. I'm hoping this kind of efficient five and dive becomes his norm.
2. FYWW was very effective, even with Taylor's 2 BB. 4 IP; ZERO hits; 2 BB; 4 K. Yeah, that'll work.
3. It looked like Soler was having good ABs with no luck and then his last two looked a lot like the LOB disaster he's been.
4. Tyro and Matos both had good ABs but took Ofers
5. LWJ and Yaz heating up is a good thing.

Solid win, solid series. A day off and then on to PIT and NY. Six day roadie will feature two Spider starts. The only question is who throws Fri night in NY. Would love to come home a .500 team.

ESPN has Black pitching Thurs in PIT against Skenes. Harry pitches Fri night and Hicks Saturday. Sunday will be Spider v. Manaeuuuuugh. Interesting.
#1 for sure, very smart to pull pitchers before 3rd time through the order unless they are horses like Webb

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 for sure, very smart to pull pitchers before 3rd time through the order unless they are horses like Webb
Just to counter that a bit, how will we know Hicks isn't that horse (I mean, he is already done much better than I thought as a starter) unless he's given the opportunity to go a 3rd time through. Maybe not in this game, but how about where the Giants have a couple of insurance runs while leading?

Okay, I'll see myself out. I just realized that there is no opportunity where Hicks can safely try facing the order a 3rd time.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to counter that a bit, how will we know Hicks isn't that horse (I mean, he is already done much better than I thought as a starter) unless he's given the opportunity to go a 3rd time through. Maybe not in this game, but how about where the Giants have a couple of insurance runs while leading?

Okay, I'll see myself out. I just realized that there is no opportunity where Hicks can safely try facing the order a 3rd time.
Right obviously if they have a sizable lead you can change the approach just saying the 3rd time through the order is real. Hicks might become a horse but no reason to rush it

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good opportunity to stretch the streak to six this week playing a bad team and pitching Webb followed by Snell

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bully looks solid. Avila is obviously the first to go down (for Snell, most likely), but after that, there really isn’t a weak point. Jackson isn’t doing as expected, but I am not ready to pull the eject button on him just yet. I like what I have seen from Rodriguez, but somebody has to be at the end of the bench, and he hasn’t earned anything beyond that at this point.
Brisbee this am:

Randy Rodríguez is becoming a thing. His velocity is back in the upper-90s, and his slider is gross. He’s been an on-the-cusp reliever since he was added to the 40-man roster after the 2021 season, but he didn’t break through as quickly as anticipated. The Giants used him as a long reliever after he was called up, but they also had him warming up in the eighth inning of a close game on Sunday. If he keeps pitching like this, high-leverage appearances will be guaranteed.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good opportunity to stretch the streak to six this week playing a bad team and pitching Webb followed by Snell

That bad team has 2 really good pitchers going when we face them.

Meanwhile not sure I'm ready to expect Snell to pitch great yet.

Expecting sweeps is silly in baseball, even lesser teams usually win 1 of 3 and often more (like we won one vs the Dodgers recently)

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That bad team has 2 really good pitchers going when we face them.

Meanwhile not sure I'm ready to expect Snell to pitch great yet.

Expecting sweeps is silly in baseball, even lesser teams usually win 1 of 3 and often more (like we won one vs the Dodgers recently)
So do the Giants. Hopefully Snell picks it up