• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former Seattle Seahawks D coordinator named Falcons head coach

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons Go All In On Dan Quinn

Quinn becomes the 16th head coach in Atlanta Falcons history and takes over the club after serving as the Seattle Seahawks defensive coordinator for the last two seasons (2013-14). During that span, Quinn oversaw the NFL’s top defensive unit as Seattle led the League allowing 270.4 yards per game, 15.2 points per game, and 178.8 passing yards per game while holding opponents to 91.6 rushing yards per game. Seattle became the fourth team in NFL history to lead the league in fewest points and yards allowed in back-to-back seasons, and the first since the 1985-86 Chicago Bears.

“This is an exciting day for the Atlanta Falcons franchise and our fans,” said Falcons Owner and Chairman Arthur Blank. “Dan is a talented football coach who has a deep and diverse history in the game, which will serve us well. As we got to know Dan during the interview process, it became clear that he has a definitive plan for our football team and what it will take to win on a consistent basis. He also has a proven ability to develop players by maximizing their individual strengths. For these and many other reasons, Dan became our top pick, and I’m confident our players, staff, fans and community will be proud to have him represent the Falcons.

“I would like to personally thank Seahawks coach Pete Carroll for his patience and support during our head coach search,” added Blank. “I’m sure the Seahawks will be sorry to see Dan leave, but no one has been more supportive of this opportunity for Dan than Pete.”
Can he do more with less? I guess we'll see.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sure you don't want to take Bevell instead?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sure you didn't mean to grab Tom Cable?

We already have an ex-head coach at that position with Mike Tice otherwise I'm sure we would.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quinn did a great job this season with all the injuries...I think he will re-ignite the Falcons DEF...at least this season he will get full support from Dimitroff & Piololi...don't be surprised to see them go DE/OLB back to back picks in the draft and probably go after another FA pass rusher.

I'd like to say the same about Shanahan for the OFC, but have to take a wait and see approach therer...imo it would've been nice to see Kotter stay.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quinn did a great job this season with all the injuries...I think he will re-ignite the Falcons DEF...at least this season he will get full support from Dimitroff & Piololi...don't be surprised to see them go DE/OLB back to back picks in the draft and probably go after another FA pass rusher.

I'd like to say the same about Shanahan for the OFC, but have to take a wait and see approach therer...imo it would've been nice to see Kotter stay.

Shanny has done well with little talent Falcons need an Oline:suds:

Falcons hired Kyle Shanahan as their new offensive coordinator.
Atlanta plans to officially hire Seahawks DC Dan Quinn as their new coach immediately following the Feb. 1 Super Bowl. It gives them a powerful pairing on either side of the ball. Shanahan has established himself as a strong offensive game-planner and schemer during seven years as an NFL coordinator, even coaxing the talent-deficient, Brian Hoyer-led Browns to 23.2 points a game for the first nine weeks before the wheels came off. Shanny's presence boosts the stock of Matt Ryan and Julio Jones heading into 2015. It would also be good news for Steven Jackson if the 32-year-old (in July) had anything left in the tank. As S-Jax is likely to be released, Shanahan will be on the hunt this offseason for a bellcow back in his zone-run game.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desmond Trufant is really good, imo. If they could keep Sean Weatherspoon on the field and draft a couple of pass rushers then their D at least has a chance to solid.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you think Quinn moving on will effect the Seahawks defense? I remember when Ron Rivera left the bears, most bears fans thought it wouldn't effect the defense much at all, but it really did. They were still good after his departure, but not good enough to carry a team.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you think Quinn moving on will effect the Seahawks defense?
My guess is that it will have almost no impact in the short term because Seattle is keeping young talented players together.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desmond Trufant is really good, imo. If they could keep Sean Weatherspoon on the field and draft a couple of pass rushers then their D at least has a chance to solid.

I think Weatherspoon is a free agent so it's possible to see him go. Even though I've heard we want to re-sign him, I'm sure Quinn will still have some say in it as well.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacksonville and now Atlanta. That's two coaches this Seahawks D has produced.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely understand this hire. You try to take from strength of a team that appears to know. And almost anything is an upgrade over Smith.

Now as far as Chicago is concerned, I have no idea what they are thinking.

Fox had a completely unprepared team in last year's Super Bowl, the team improved (on paper) in the off season and ended up being worse than last year.

But Chicago sees him as the tonic for their troops?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely understand this hire. You try to take from strength of a team that appears to know. And almost anything is an upgrade over Smith.

Now as far as Chicago is concerned, I have no idea what they are thinking.

Fox had a completely unprepared team in last year's Super Bowl, the team improved (on paper) in the off season and ended up being worse than last year.

But Chicago sees him as the tonic for their troops?

Bears fans live in an illusion.