• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former Giants in the Big Leagues - 2023 edition

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He offers a bit of a veteran presence in Sacto. Outside of that, I suspect he is more transitioning into his post-playing career and will act as a player/coach.

Nice to have him back in the fold. Definitely a well-remembered Giant.

Org depth. AAA emergency OF bat. Mets are paying him.

No downside here.
I don't know if you've noticed, but there are plenty of "org depth" in AAA. As some point, you stop stocking your AAA team with rebounders, has beens and once had potentials and let some of the guys you've been developing actually get a shot at AAA before writing them off.
I think one area that I disagree with just about everyone here is that you can have too much veteran depth at AAA. I think that counting on over the hill players, whose best years are behind them, to somehow rebound is about as much a gamble as playing rookies. And I'd rather see rookies get a shot than veterans on a rebuilding team. And a team that picks up guys like Gary Sanchez, Darin Ruf and Roberto Perez looks like a rebuilding club.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if you've noticed, but there are plenty of "org depth" in AAA. As some point, you stop stocking your AAA team with rebounders, has beens and once had potentials and let some of the guys you've been developing actually get a shot at AAA before writing them off.
I think one area that I disagree with just about everyone here is that you can have too much veteran depth at AAA. I think that counting on over the hill players, whose best years are behind them, to somehow rebound is about as much a gamble as playing rookies. And I'd rather see rookies get a shot than veterans on a rebuilding team. And a team that picks up guys like Gary Sanchez, Darin Ruf and Roberto Perez looks like a rebuilding club.
1. nobody is "counting on" Ruf.
2. If they need the AAA roster spots, they will jettison the vets.
3. If Bailey were ready, he'd be in SF. He'll be here soon.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. nobody is "counting on" Ruf.
2. If they need the AAA roster spots, they will jettison the vets.
3. If Bailey were ready, he'd be in SF. He'll be here soon.
1. The conversations (not necessarily here, but in the media and on other fan pages) seems to be counting on Ruf.
2. Not necessarily true. The Giants hold on to castoffs way too long in AAA. They move guys more quickly through the lower minors but not so much at AAA. They keep guys who get shellacked in the pitching staff but are very impatient with guys like Wilson and Matheny at AAA last year.
3. I never mentioned Bailey and wasn't talking about him specifically. How about Wilson? How about Ramos? Maybe they need a bit more seasoning in AAA but it would be nice to see them getting some playing time this year.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. The conversations (not necessarily here, but in the media and on other fan pages) seems to be counting on Ruf.
2. Not necessarily true. The Giants hold on to castoffs way too long in AAA. They move guys more quickly through the lower minors but not so much at AAA. They keep guys who get shellacked in the pitching staff but are very impatient with guys like Wilson and Matheny at AAA last year.
3. I never mentioned Bailey and wasn't talking about him specifically. How about Wilson? How about Ramos? Maybe they need a bit more seasoning in AAA but it would be nice to see them getting some playing time this year.
I guess I trust the dev people who watch these guys every day to do the right thing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expanding on this…

All first rounders since Buster…

2009: Zach Wheeler (B) - he is a decent pitcher now, but it took him FOREVER to get here and he is still a constant injury concern. I have no prob with the trade, btw. Hind sight is not a fair barometer.

2010: Gary Brown (D-) - He got a cuppo with the Giants, and performed well in his brief stint, but he was apparently a head case and was out of baseball not long after.

2011: Joe Panik (B+) - VERY short career, but he was a prime contributor to the ‘14 championship. He earned a Gold Glove, but I think that was more of the stereotypical GG rather than a legit showing of his abilities. He is a coach in the Giants system now.

2011: Kyle Crick (C) - was starting to show some potential as a bully piece when he was shipped off as part of the McCutchen trade. He then quickly became a journeyman AAAA reliever.

2012: Chris Stratton (C-) - struggled to get a foothold with us for years before getting shown the door. Is currently a journeyman AAAA pitcher.

2013: Christian Arroyo (C+) - Part of the famed Matt Moore trade. Never established himself in TB, but after a short stop in Cleveland, he seems to have found a home in Boston as a key bench player. No one will ever mistake him for a good player, though.

2014: Tyler Beede (C-) - could never get his control issues settled with the Giants. Played a bit for the Bucs, but is currently out of MLB affiliated ball. I think (??) he is in Asia.

2015: Phil Bickford (B-) - He was packaged to Milwaukee for Will Smith. He got his cuppo with them, but has since become a mainstay at the end of the kennel. He isn’t very good, but he gets a lot of appearances with them.

2015: Chris Shaw (D) - got about a 75 AB look at the bigs with the Giants, but never looked good. Has bounced around the minors since. Is currently in the White Sox system.

2017: Heliot Ramos (inc) - He used to be a top prospect, but could never get his footing at the higher levels. He is currently holding down LF in SF, but that is really only because the SF OF has been decimated by injuries. He hasn’t done anything to show he belongs yet. He likely isn’t long for the org. If I had to grade him on what he has shown so far, I would have to go with a D+/C-.

2018: Joey Bart (Inc) - the org has not shown any faith in him, but that MAY be more about keeping the fire at his ass than actual lack of faith. He is no Buster Posey, but he seems OK at worst. Not what you hope for at #2 overall, but that was a weak class. At this point, I would have to give him a B-/C+.

2019: Hunter Bishop (F) - Has hardly gotten on the field at all since he was drafted due to injuries. He is already out for 2023. His time with the Giants is probably over.

2020: Patrick Bailey (inc) - He has gotten quite a bit of attention this year. He is expected to get his cuppo at some point this year. He is reportedly very advanced with his defense, but doesn’t even own a bat. It sounds like he will become a journeyman defense-first backup catcher.

2021: Will Bednar (inc) - The incredible disappearing draft pick. I am not sure I have heard his name since he was drafted. Not a good sign for a college senior who was reportedly drafted due to his proximity to the majors.

2022: Reggie Crawford (inc) - A two-way player. Who was basically ice-cold raw when drafted. I am not a believer in the concept of the two-way player to begin with, so I will likely always have a negative view on him, until he focuses on pitching or hitting. He has yet to pitch since he was drafted, and his bat was completely ineffective last year. He has not been seen yet this year.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expanding on this…

All first rounders since Buster…

2009: Zach Wheeler (B) - he is a decent pitcher now, but it took him FOREVER to get here and he is still a constant injury concern. I have no prob with the trade, btw. Hind sight is not a fair barometer.

2010: Gary Brown (D-) - He got a cuppo with the Giants, and performed well in his brief stint, but he was apparently a head case and was out of baseball not long after.

2011: Joe Panik (B+) - VERY short career, but he was a prime contributor to the ‘14 championship. He earned a Gold Glove, but I think that was more of the stereotypical GG rather than a legit showing of his abilities. He is a coach in the Giants system now.

2011: Kyle Crick (C) - was starting to show some potential as a bully piece when he was shipped off as part of the McCutchen trade. He then quickly became a journeyman AAAA reliever.

2012: Chris Stratton (C-) - struggled to get a foothold with us for years before getting shown the door. Is currently a journeyman AAAA pitcher.

2013: Christian Arroyo (C+) - Part of the famed Matt Moore trade. Never established himself in TB, but after a short stop in Cleveland, he seems to have found a home in Boston as a key bench player. No one will ever mistake him for a good player, though.

2014: Tyler Beede (C-) - could never get his control issues settled with the Giants. Played a bit for the Bucs, but is currently out of MLB affiliated ball. I think (??) he is in Asia.

2015: Phil Bickford (B-) - He was packaged to Milwaukee for Will Smith. He got his cuppo with them, but has since become a mainstay at the end of the kennel. He isn’t very good, but he gets a lot of appearances with them.

2015: Chris Shaw (D) - got about a 75 AB look at the bigs with the Giants, but never looked good. Has bounced around the minors since. Is currently in the White Sox system.

2017: Heliot Ramos (inc) - He used to be a top prospect, but could never get his footing at the higher levels. He is currently holding down LF in SF, but that is really only because the SF OF has been decimated by injuries. He hasn’t done anything to show he belongs yet. He likely isn’t long for the org. If I had to grade him on what he has shown so far, I would have to go with a D+/C-.

2018: Joey Bart (Inc) - the org has not shown any faith in him, but that MAY be more about keeping the fire at his ass than actual lack of faith. He is no Buster Posey, but he seems OK at worst. Not what you hope for at #2 overall, but that was a weak class. At this point, I would have to give him a B-/C+.

2019: Hunter Bishop (F) - Has hardly gotten on the field at all since he was drafted due to injuries. He is already out for 2023. His time with the Giants is probably over.

2020: Patrick Bailey (inc) - He has gotten quite a bit of attention this year. He is expected to get his cuppo at some point this year. He is reportedly very advanced with his defense, but doesn’t even own a bat. It sounds like he will become a journeyman defense-first backup catcher.

2021: Will Bednar (inc) - The incredible disappearing draft pick. I am not sure I have heard his name since he was drafted. Not a good sign for a college senior who was reportedly drafted due to his proximity to the majors.

2022: Reggie Crawford (inc) - A two-way player. Who was basically ice-cold raw when drafted. I am not a believer in the concept of the two-way player to begin with, so I will likely always have a negative view on him, until he focuses on pitching or hitting. He has yet to pitch since he was drafted, and his bat was completely ineffective last year. He has not been seen yet this year.
How about the 2nd round picks? Sure, the talent level isn't the same but you'd hope they would hit on a bit of those. However:
2009: Tommy Joseph (C-) - Drafted as a catcher and eventually flipped to Philadelphia for Hunter Pence. The Phillies had to convert him to a 1st baseman due to concussion issues. He put up one good year in Phily before melting down offensively the next year and disappearing completely from organized ball a couple years after that.

2010: Jarrett Parker (C-) - He put up okay numbers with the Giants but they eventually let him go. After a couple years out of baseball, he got a brief cup of coffee with the Angels.

2011: Andrew Susac (D+) - Someone is going to hurt me for this one but Susac never really established himself as a major league catcher. He spent most of his career as a journeyman AAA catcher and is now out of baseball.

2012: Martin Agosta (F) - A pitcher who never even made it to the big leagues.

2013: Ryder Jones (D) - He got some brief appearances with the Giants and has since bounced around the upper minors throughout different organizations.

2014: Aramis Garcia (C-) - The Giants seem to love drafting catchers in the 2nd round. This one has become a AAAA catcher, often serving as an emergency third string catcher for different teams.

2015: Andrew Suarez (C) - He looked okay in his first few starts with the Giants but quickly got bumped from the depth charts and pitched overseas last year.

2016: Bryan Reynolds (A) - Look a hit! For another team! That was one of the more dumb trades during the previous regimes' era.

2017: Jacob Gonzalez (D) - The 3rd baseman never hit with the Giants' org but may be turning it around in the Pirates' organization.

2018: Sean Hjelle (inc) - Yet to put up good numbers in either AAA or big leagues. The jury is still out on him.

2019: Logan Wyatt (inc) - The classic 1st base only player. Unfortunately, his calling card, hitting, has yet to surface in professional ball. This is probably his last year in the Giants' org.

2020: Casey Schmitt, Jimmy Glowenke, Nick Swiney (inc) - The Giants got to triple dip in the 2nd round this year. So far, one looks like he's one of the top prospects of the org (Schmitt), one looks like an org middle infielder (Glowenke) and one may possibly hit as a reliever (Swiney). Time will tell.

2021: Matt Mikulski (inc) - He has stalled somewhat in high A. Hope he begins to put it together this year.

2022: Carson Whisenhunt (inc) - One of 17 players from the 2022 draft in San Jose. Whisenhunt may prove to be the better pick then the guy in the 1st round. Side note, the Giants signed 21 players from last year's draft. Of the 4 who are not in San Jose, one (Wade Meckler, 8th round) has made it to Eugene. The other 3? They are not on a roster right now, including the 1st round pick. The other two were drafted in the 14th and 17th rounds.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2009: Aaron Miller (F) - Was out of baseball by ‘15. Never made it past AA.

2010: (Ed) Zach Lee (D-) - Got a quick cuppo with LA in ‘15 and another taste for the Rox in ‘17. Has only been seen on milk cartons since.

2011: Chris Reed (D-) - Got a cuppo with Miami in ‘15. Been hanging with Zach Lee since.

2012: Corey Seagar (A) - No need to expand. Home Run pick.

2012: Jesmuel Valentin (D) - got a decent look with Philly in ‘18. That’s it.

2013: Chris Anderson (F) - had a AAA cuppo in ’15, but never got to the show.

2014: Grant Holmes (inc, but F so far) - Essentially a minor league journeyman at this point. Doesn’t get enough AAA time to likely ever get a cuppo.

2015: Walker Buehler (A-) - All the potential in the world, but is a constant injury concern.

2015: Kyle Funkhouser (NA) - Did not sign. They got a comp pick in ‘16.

2016: Gavin Lux (B-) - Is the “current” starting SS for the dogs, but is out for ‘23. His grade should probably be “inc” at this point.

2016: Will Smith (A-) - Current starting catcher for the dogs. Not quite a star, but definitely an above average starting catcher.

2016: Jordan Sheffield (Inc) - This was the comp pick for Funkhouser. Taken by the Rox in the 2020 Rule V, and they kept him the whole year. He had a decent year in Colorado, but still spent all ‘21 in the minors and got a little play in ‘22.

2017: Jeren Kendal (Inc) - is 26 and has maxed at AA. And struggled there last year. Leaning towards a bust.

2018: JT Ginn (NA) - Did not sign. They got a comp pick in ‘19.

2019: Kody Hoese (Inc) - Currently in AA, but looks like he is closer to a bust than a hit.

2019: Michael Busch (Inc) - Currently in AAA and looks like he is probably ready to kick down the door.

2020: Bobby Miller (Inc) - is pretty much a consensus overall top 25 prospect. Mother fucker.

2021: Maddux Bruns (Inc) - HS pick. WAY too early.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in the same time period, the dogs have had 3 “A”s (with another “B+” and two studs about ready to graduate. Compared to the Giants having 3 “B”s and nothing on the horizon.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in the same time period, the dogs have had 3 “A”s (with another “B+” and two studs about ready to graduate. Compared to the Giants having 3 “B”s and nothing on the horizon.
Thanks for the comparison. I'm not asking you to do this but I do wonder if there has been some kind of recent analysis, over the last decade or so, of all team's 1st round picks. I'd be curious to know who hit the most on 1st rounders and what that percentage was.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the comparison. I'm not asking you to do this but I do wonder if there has been some kind of recent analysis, over the last decade or so, of all team's 1st round picks. I'd be curious to know who hit the most on 1st rounders and what that percentage was.
It takes about an hour to do one team. I may do some focus teams (Rays, Yanks, DBacks…), but no way to do all teams. Where is Matt? We gotta get him to do an article on this, which would require a deep dive on each team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees…

2009: Slade Heathcott (D-) - Got a cuppo in ‘15. Jumped around through ‘18.

2010: Vito Culver (F) - Still kicking around in independent ball.

2011: Dante Bichette (F) - Being a 2nd Gen player, he got a lot of attention when he was drafted, but never got past AA.

2012: Ty Hensley (F) - Last appeared in ‘20 in Indy ball, but never got past low A in affiliated ball.

2013: Eric Jagielo (F) - Got to AAA in ‘17, but played like shit.

2013: Arson Judge (A+) - Fucking turncoat. (Seriously, he is a grown fucking adult. He doesn’t need to work near mommy as a 30 year old. His career is in New York, good for him!)

2013: Ian Clarkin (F) - Got a AAA cuppo in ‘21, then called it quits.

2015: James Kaprielian (Inc) - Traded to the I’s in ‘17 in the Sony Gray deal. Has been a mainstay in their rotation since ‘21. Looks like a pretty solid pick at this point. A/B most likely.

2015: Kyle Holder (F) - Played in AAA in ‘22 for Colorado, but hasn’t appeared yet this year. Not sure if he is still playing or not.

2016: Blake Rutherford (Inc) - Traded to the White Sox in ‘17 (not sure who for). Has been in AAA the last couple years.

2017: Blake Schmidt (C+) - Already a AAAA contributor to the Spanks bully. No longer qualifies as a prospect. Could develop into more.

2018: Anthony Seigler (Inc) - Currently 24 yo in AA. Seems an age appropriate level.

2019: Anthony Volpe (A) - One of the top prospects in the game and is currently holding down SS for the Evil Empire.

2019: TJ Sikkema (Inc) - Traded to KC last year. Currently 24 yo in AA.

2020: Austin Wells (Inc) - 22 yo in AA last year and is pushing some top 100 lists.

2021: Trey Sweeney (Inc) - 23 yo in AA this year.

2022: Spencer Jones (Inc) - 22 yo in high A this year and on some top prospect lists (though I don’t really trust those when it comes to the Spanks).

Basically a bunch of nothing past Judge. I gave Volpe an A, but tbh, that is WAY premature. Including Volpe, they have 3 players from this list on top prospect lists. But as far as actual production, the Giants have been better than the Spanks in this timeframe.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees…

2009: Slade Heathcott (D-) - Got a cuppo in ‘15. Jumped around through ‘18.

2010: Vito Culver (F) - Still kicking around in independent ball.

2011: Dante Bichette (F) - Being a 2nd Gen player, he got a lot of attention when he was drafted, but never got past AA.

2012: Ty Hensley (F) - Last appeared in ‘20 in Indy ball, but never got past low A in affiliated ball.

2013: Eric Jagielo (F) - Got to AAA in ‘17, but played like shit.

2013: Arson Judge (A+) - Fucking turncoat. (Seriously, he is a grown fucking adult. He doesn’t need to work near mommy as a 30 year old. His career is in New York, good for him!)

2013: Ian Clarkin (F) - Got a AAA cuppo in ‘21, then called it quits.

2015: James Kaprielian (Inc) - Traded to the I’s in ‘17 in the Sony Gray deal. Has been a mainstay in their rotation since ‘21. Looks like a pretty solid pick at this point. A/B most likely.

2015: Kyle Holder (F) - Played in AAA in ‘22 for Colorado, but hasn’t appeared yet this year. Not sure if he is still playing or not.

2016: Blake Rutherford (Inc) - Traded to the White Sox in ‘17 (not sure who for). Has been in AAA the last couple years.

2017: Blake Schmidt (C+) - Already a AAAA contributor to the Spanks bully. No longer qualifies as a prospect. Could develop into more.

2018: Anthony Seigler (Inc) - Currently 24 yo in AA. Seems an age appropriate level.

2019: Anthony Volpe (A) - One of the top prospects in the game and is currently holding down SS for the Evil Empire.

2019: TJ Sikkema (Inc) - Traded to KC last year. Currently 24 yo in AA.

2020: Austin Wells (Inc) - 22 yo in AA last year and is pushing some top 100 lists.

2021: Trey Sweeney (Inc) - 23 yo in AA this year.

2022: Spencer Jones (Inc) - 22 yo in high A this year and on some top prospect lists (though I don’t really trust those when it comes to the Spanks).

Basically a bunch of nothing past Judge. I gave Volpe an A, but tbh, that is WAY premature. Including Volpe, they have 3 players from this list on top prospect lists. But as far as actual production, the Giants have been better than the Spanks in this timeframe.
The Yankees build teams the way they know best, throwing money around like it was rice. But wow, they really have struck out on the draft (at least in the 1st round).

I had no idea that Bo Bichette's brother was a professional baseball player. Too bad he didn't make it. Would have been a cool story. I always enjoy the brothers, whose father also played, stories (i.e. Mike and David Bell, Roberto and Sandy Alomar, etc).