• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Forbes article on MLB TV deals, free agency and Cano's contract not being crazy

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for most other teams, it would be crazy, but not for the m's

it's a new era of reduced PED, so you're not going to see position players get $200+ contracts into their 40s anymore. i'd wager the m's will have the honor of being the last team to do it for a very long time.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it's a new era of reduced PED, so you're not going to see position players get $200+ contracts into their 40s anymore. i'd wager the m's will have the honor of being the last team to do it for a very long time.

I actually disagree with you. I think with the increased revenue stream due to the big television contracts, Robinson Cano will not be the last 10 year $200m+ contract. There will always be desperate teams looking to add a player like Cano.

There is no doubt that Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout will both get contracts larger than Robinson Cano.

I'm not sure if we see a free agent hit a contract comparable to Robinson Cano this off-season, but I think that also speaks to how rarely a player of Cano's caliber hits the open market. The only player of Cano's caliber to hit the open market the last few years (off of the top of my head) is Albert Pujols.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually disagree with you. I think with the increased revenue stream due to the big television contracts, Robinson Cano will not be the last 10 year $200m+ contract...

i didn't say last 10 year $200 million contract. i said last one for a position player into their 40s for a long time.

contracts like those given to pujols and cano are going to become a relic. we are historically bad and desperate, so we'll have the honor of being the last team to do it for a long time.

no doubt there will be contracts that exceed a-rod's, even. trout is going to get $30mill/10 years, or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i didn't say last 10 year $200 million contract. i said last one for a position player into their 40s for a long time.

contracts like those given to pujols and cano are going to become a relic. we are historically bad and desperate, so we'll have the honor of being the last team to do it for a long time.

no doubt there will be contracts that exceed a-rod's, even. trout is going to get $30mill/10 years, or something like that.

Ah my bad, must have skimmed over that.

I think if it does become a relic, it will be due to the fact that no players of Cano/Pujols caliber hits the open market at 30ish years old.

There will always be a desperate team like the Mariners who are willing to give a player a massive contract, with teams having more money to spend due to the television contracts I think that there will be teams willing to give a 31 year old a 10 year contract.

The only problem with that is I don't see any players that fit the category of an Albert Pujols or Robinson Cano hitting the market in the upcoming off-season.

Miguel Cabrera I think will probably get a contract into his 40s. He is coming off of one of the best 5 year stretches in recent memory and if Pujols/Cano get 10 year $240m contracts I think that Cabrera will get a contract into his 40s as well.