• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How I would rebuild this team

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I currently hate the way this roster is constructed. It's a bunch of low OBP high strikeout high HR hitters. It's one thing if you strike out a lot if you have a high OBP, but these guys strike out on 3 to 5 pitches without ever drawing walks. These type of guys are really over valued and don't produce as much as you'd like. Chicks may dig the homers, but even if all these guys were producing at the level expected of them (I'm looking at you Trumbo), the team would be massively inconsistent.

That being said, here is how I would change this team, and I believe with these changes the team could make the playoffs next year.

Trades:
-Robinson Cano and Mike Zunino to the Yankees for Brian McCann and the Yankees take 75% of Cano's salary after this year. Not sure how likely this is, perhaps I'm dreaming and this idea is just a complete joke, if so I'm sure someone will tell me. I think it's realistic because Zunino is still young, one of the best pitch framers in the game, he's cheap, and still has a shitload of potential. He has shown at a young age he's capable of hitting 20 HRs despite only hitting .200 and striking out a lot, if someone can adjust his approach at the plate I believe he has the ability to hit 30 HRs a year. That is my reasoning for this one. Probably unlikely.

-Trade Mark Trumbo for some prospects. He has been shit with the Mariners, but I don't think that would hurt his value too badly since it's a really small sample size. He could probably net some pretty decent players.

-Trade the prospects landed for Trumbo (or Trumbo himself if the Nats are interested) and Brad Miller for Ian Desmond and sign him to an extension. Desmond is going through a serious slump this year, but was really good from 2012-2014.

Free Agency:
-Let Austin Jackson walk. That's an extra $7.7m
-Let Rodney walk. That's an extra $7.0m
-Re-sign Iwakuma. He'd probably be cheaper than the $7m extension he signed previously considering he's coming off of an injury filled season.
-Re-sign J.A. Happ to a similar deal to what he had previously.

With these moves, it should leave the Mariners with an extra $23m to spend (subtract $18m a year from Robbie's contract, but adding $17m from McCann's). And let's assume a payroll increase of $15m. Giving us $38m to spend in free agency.

-Sign Alex Gordon. Should cost around $15m per year. He can play OF, 1B and 3B. Hits for average and gets on base frequently.
-Sign Dexter Fowler for CF. Fowler is another guy who is undervalued, not having a terrific year this year, but has a career OBP of .362 and had an OBP of .375 last year with the Astros. Should cost around $8m.
-Sign Howie Kendrick to fill the void left behind by Robinson Cano. Should cost around $12m.

New lineup:

C: Brian McCann
1B: Logan Morrison
2B: Howie Kendrick
SS: Ian Desmond
3B: Kyle Seager
RF: Alex Gordon
CF: Dexter Fowler
LF: Seth Smith
DH: Nelson Cruz

These moves would drastically increase the average and OBP of the team. Dexter Fowler has an OBP of .368 over the past 4 years (In comparison to . Alex Gordon has an OBP of .353 over the past 4 years. Howie Kendrick has an OBP of .336 over the past 4 years with an average of .291. McCann has a career OBP of .343.

The Mariners are unlikely to make all these moves obviously. But the two guys I'd really go hard after in free agency are Dexter Fowler and Alex Gordon. Fowler likely won't cost too much more than Austin Jackson and he is a significantly better player, and Gordon may be a bit pricy but he's a great player.