• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

For Virginia Tech, This Is As Bad As A Loss

CalvinJohnson4God

Time to die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Down the road, no one will remember this as anything but a win. An early season game doesn't define your season.

Nobody thought of 2005 USC as not good because they almost lost to a mediocre Fresno State team. Hell, people were still calling them the greatest team ever.

The only way VT would be left out, if undefeated, would be if there were 2 other undefeateds. Normally, anyway. I'm sure there are some circumstances where that wouldn't hold true, but they would be pretty unlikely.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if they manage to win the game, they have eliminated themselves from any hope at a national title. Considering how weak their schedule is, a one loss SEC team would now jump an undefeated Virginia Tech team. Nobody is going to take them seriously if they almost lose to East Carolina while having their toughest game be against Florida State. The only hope they have is for Florida State to beat Oklahoma, and i'd consider that a long shot. Unless this is a rare 2007-like season where there are not two zero or one loss title contenders, Virginia Tech is done.

Can't see Vir Tech getting into nc game even if they go 12-0 and win the ACC. They would have to improve dramatically over the course of the season. I do believe, however, they will be 12-0 going into the ACC championship.

CalvinJohnson4God

Time to die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't see Vir Tech getting into nc game even if they go 12-0 and win the ACC. They would have to improve dramatically over the course of the season. I do believe, however, they will be 12-0 going into the ACC championship.

I don't believe for a second that they have a chance of having less than 2 losses heading into December. But if they went 13-0, especially if they beat an FSU team that beat Oklahoma (obviously dependent on this Saturday's results), they would be in for sure.

cane_man

I AM the liquor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess there is no point in playing the remainder of the season. Why don't you go ahead and list your two best teams and they can play for the title now and get it over with.

why play at all? just name a champ and cancel the rest of the games.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I guess there is no point in playing the remainder of the season. Why don't you go ahead and list your two best teams and they can play for the title now and get it over with.

I never understod the point of comments like these. If you are going to be offended by my opinion,why are you on a college football board? What evidence do you have that I am wrong? Can you find a team with a similarly weak schedule that's gotten the edge over a one-loss SEC power? If so, that is what I want to hear.

Why exactly is it so ridiculous to think that Virginia Tech has probably played itself out of the title picture? Teams can be eliminated from a title by week 2 without meaning that everybody is eliminated. Your comment is completely non-sensical and pointless.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understod the point of comments like these. If you are going to be offended by my opinion,why are you on a college football board? What evidence do you have that I am wrong? Can you find a team with a similarly weak schedule that's gotten the edge over a one-loss SEC power? If so, that is what I want to hear.

Why exactly is it so ridiculous to think that Virginia Tech has probably played itself out of the title picture? Teams can be eliminated from a title by week 2 without meaning that everybody is eliminated. Your comment is completely non-sensical and pointless.

It is a little ridiculous to rule a team out of the NC just from a game in week 2. VT's schedule looks weak now, but what if both GT and VT are undefeated going into their game in November? What if the ACC wins all of it's big games this weekend? What if ECU wins the C-USA and only has 3 losses? Few people will look back to week 2 and eliminate a team based on a close game. Not even a loss... just a close game. You can look at almost every national champion and find a game that they either struggled in or lost to a mediocre opponent.

Also, look at the box score for both of ECU's games this year.
Game 1 Total yards: ECU 345 - SC 351
Game 2 Total yards: ECU 112 - VT 332

Obviously total yards aren't everything... but that sure says something.