• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers to sign Cleary

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@HeleneStJames: Daniel Cleary is going to Philadelphia Flyers for 3 years, AAV of $2.75 Million. NTC. Deal won't be official till end of month.

23287Xrq.gif

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow this is bad

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is likely the end of Matt Read next season

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't like this news? I always liked Daniel Cleary, I think it's a good signing. I think the Flyers are having a very good offseason with the draft, Lavavalier signing, the Emery signing, & the Cleary signing. These guys might be up there in age, but they're all proven winners. Lots of guys with rings on this year's Flyers, never a bad thing IMO.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This signing makes me think that maybe there may be a tentative deal in place to move Talbot. I know the Pens want him back and he was also linked to be paired with Coburn going to MTL (but for shit we didn't need) maybe something's changed?

If not I'm fucking confused as all hell right now. That said at least it's not a 35+ contract so yea there's the silver lining.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This signing makes me think that maybe there may be a tentative deal in place to move Talbot. I know the Pens want him back and he was also linked to be paired with Coburn going to MTL (but for shit we didn't need) maybe something's changed?

If not I'm fucking confused as all hell right now. That said at least it's not a 35+ contract so yea there's the silver lining.

Hope you're right about Max, really wish we didn't let him go.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't understand.

cleary.couturier.read
talbot.hall.laughton

rinaldo, rosehill, raffl, mcginn, straka all competing for the scraps? uh..

i guess laughton really has 0 chance of making the team, he'll go back to juniors. raffl, mcginn and straka will play for the phantoms, rinaldo on the 4th to be 'energy' and rosehill in the cote seat?

on the bright side, the phantoms might actually be good this year for the first time in like 5 years

Last edited by a moderator:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't understand.

cleary.couturier.read
talbot.hall.laughton

rinaldo, rosehill, raffl, mcginn, straka all competing for the scraps? uh..

i guess laughton really has 0 chance of making the team, he'll go back to juniors. raffl, mcginn and straka will play for the phantoms, rinaldo on the 4th to be 'energy' and rosehill in the cote seat?

on the bright side, the phantoms might actually be good this year for the first time in like 5 years

I don't really understand, either.

But...

I don't think Hall will be a regular in the lineup. I see Hall and Rosehill as the 13th/14th forwards, with Rinaldo having the edge on the 12th spot. One young guy makes the team, probably one of Laughton, McGinn or Raffl. Straka is more of a top-6-or-bust kind of player.

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really understand, either.

But...

I don't think Hall will be a regular in the lineup. I see Hall and Rosehill as the 13th/14th forwards, with Rinaldo having the edge on the 12th spot. One young guy makes the team, probably one of Laughton, McGinn or Raffl. Straka is more of a top-6-or-bust kind of player.

agree on straka.. i'd say if two top 6 guys go down, he'll get the call (i assume read will move up with the first injury)

see i think hall is an ideal 4th liner. good on faceoffs and pretty solid defensively. IMO, he should center the 4th line.

i agree that rinaldo will probably have the '12th' spot. he's the energy guy and lavy/homer seem to really like him. i'm fine w/ that, i like rinaldo for that role. he's gotten so much better in terms of drawing penalties vs. taking penalties as well.

talbot obviously makes the team, but he's no longer top 9 material with cleary on board. so hall, talbot, and rinaldo is my 4th line.. cleary, couturier, read being the 3rd. so i just dont see room for a young guy.. but perhaps you are right, perhaps hall doesn't play much

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see i think hall is an ideal 4th liner. good on faceoffs and pretty solid defensively. IMO, he should center the 4th line.

My concern with Hall is his lack of any offense what-so-ever. Teams that go deep in the playoffs are usually able to roll 4 solid lines that can all chip in goals. A Hall-Talbot-Rinaldo line doesn't sound like one a true Cup contender would want to put out there regularly. But, obviously I'm just guessing, too...

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone is being dealt? The Flyers just added salary and besides, Gagne is probably coming back. I wonder if a deal is in the works?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern with Hall is his lack of any offense what-so-ever. Teams that go deep in the playoffs are usually able to roll 4 solid lines that can all chip in goals. A Hall-Talbot-Rinaldo line doesn't sound like one a true Cup contender would want to put out there regularly. But, obviously I'm just guessing, too...

i dont know if that part is necessarily true.. 3 lines that can score, definitely, but 4th lines are typically energy + shut down guys.. at least that's what i notice, maybe i've missed something over the past couple of years

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone is being dealt? The Flyers just added salary and besides, Gagne is probably coming back. I wonder if a deal is in the works?

i highly doubt gags is coming back now.. unless there is a very large trade about to go down where the flyers move multiple players (forwards and dmen), there's just no roster room for him at the NHL level

even if he doesn't come back, the flyers have to make a trade to move some salary.. my gut says coburn is on his way out.. not at all what i would do, but i think that's what will happen

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont know if that part is necessarily true.. 3 lines that can score, definitely, but 4th lines are typically energy + shut down guys.. at least that's what i notice, maybe i've missed something over the past couple of years

I agree that 4th lines are energy/shutdown guys. I'm just arguing that the 4th lines of Cup contenders aren't COMPLETELY inept offensively. A Hall-Talbot-Rinaldo line borders on that.

HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Meltzer's Musings: Quick Hits on Cleary, Rookie Game, Alt, Leier

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that 4th lines are energy/shutdown guys. I'm just arguing that the 4th lines of Cup contenders aren't COMPLETELY inept offensively. A Hall-Talbot-Rinaldo line borders on that.

HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Meltzer's Musings: Quick Hits on Cleary, Rookie Game, Alt, Leier

fair. i really just wanted to see laughton earn the spot on the 3rd line, but i dont think there's any way he can now. cleary/couturier/read is going to be the 3rd line unless one of them is traded i would say. i'm wary of keeping laughton up just to stick him on the 4th line

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fair. i really just wanted to see laughton earn the spot on the 3rd line, but i dont think there's any way he can now. cleary/couturier/read is going to be the 3rd line unless one of them is traded i would say. i'm wary of keeping laughton up just to stick him on the 4th line

Yeah, I hear you on Laughton. Still, injuries inevitably occur so even if they keep him and he starts on the 4th line, there should be opportunities to get bumped up to a better line.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As ive said before i definately dont mind getting rid of Max. Talbot and Coburn should bring back something nice.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will never really understand this deal? I think even Meltzer was confused. Gagne got screwed over, I thought the Flyers were keeping him tight from going elsewhere and signing him when they shed salary? Talbot, Coburn, and somebody will be on the trade block... Book it!