• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: First Round: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Washington Capitals

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there like a Corsi stat for games?

Like let's say the Caps have tried to choke more games this postseason than any other. They haven't always been successful in their choking but they're bound to break through on the key choke any day now!!

Seriously though, all sorts of credit to the Leafs who are putting forth a hell of an effort :puke:, but Washington should have buried them the last 2 games after the start they had. They WOULD have during the regular season.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caps win a playoff game, Wiz win a playoff game, and the Nats win by 10 runs hitting two grand slams in the process. Not a bad night for fans in America's favorite city!

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caps win a playoff game, Wiz win a playoff game, and the Nats win by 10 runs hitting two grand slams in the process. Not a bad night for fans in America's favorite city!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there like a Corsi stat for games?

Like let's say the Caps have tried to choke more games this postseason than any other. They haven't always been successful in their choking but they're bound to break through on the key choke any day now!!

Seriously though, all sorts of credit to the Leafs who are putting forth a hell of an effort :puke:, but Washington should have buried them the last 2 games after the start they had. They WOULD have during the regular season.
I honestly wasn't sweating until that 5th goal. The Leafs were totally outplayed for two periods and I had no doubt that they would own them in the third, even after they blew that 1:55 of 5-on-3 to start the period. The signs were already appearing as the second drew to a close. Hell, had Gardiner waited an extra second at the end of the game to take that shot from the point he may have found a lane and they would've gone to OT.

The Caps should get out of this series but if they can't play a 200 foot game for 60 minutes against the Leafs I have no idea how the hell they'll manage it against the Pens.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holtby needs to step up. His play has been sloppy and subpar.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly wasn't sweating until that 5th goal. The Leafs were totally outplayed for two periods and I had no doubt that they would own them in the third, even after they blew that 1:55 of 5-on-3 to start the period. The signs were already appearing as the second drew to a close. Hell, had Gardiner waited an extra second at the end of the game to take that shot from the point he may have found a lane and they would've gone to OT.

The Caps should get out of this series but if they can't play a 200 foot game for 60 minutes against the Leafs I have no idea how the hell they'll manage it against the Pens.

HEY MY SERIES ISN'T OVER YET

(okay, it really is)

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I was on Trotz for game 3, his adjustments in game 4 worked really well. OV should've got more ice time still, but overall the ice time was divided better.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I was on Trotz for game 3, his adjustments in game 4 worked really well. OV should've got more ice time still, but overall the ice time was divided better.
Caps were outshot 19-3 in the third period and would've been forced into OT had they not been gifted a garbage goal by the Leafs.

To that point the Caps had played basically the same game they played in game 3 albeit with an extra goal for.

What exactly did Trotz do here to impress you? To me he and his players did everything they could to cough up a game that the President's Trophy winners should've closed out half-way through the second.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caps were outshot 19-3 in the third period and would've been forced into OT had they not been gifted a garbage goal by the Leafs.

To that point the Caps had played basically the same game they played in game 3 albeit with an extra goal for.

What exactly did Trotz do here to impress you? To me he and his players did everything they could to cough up a game that the President's Trophy winners should've closed out half-way through the second.

They matched the Orlov-Niskanen pairing against the Matthews over Carlson. Carlson was eaten alive by that line previously. Additionally, I think he gets a tad bit of credit for moving Willy up in the lineup when he scores 2 and saves another. The caps played extremely well for 40 minutes and had a slow start to the 3rd (largely due to the 5 on 3). The ice was tilted by the leafs, but the waived off goal would've put the game away with 11 minutes to go. Instead, it was waived off, and a blocked clearance off the ref helped create the Matthews chance. From my vantage point there was a lot of puck luck from the Leafs last night, but even still it wasn't that close in terms of how well each team played .

Score adjusted 5on5 Corsi:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They matched the Orlov-Niskanen pairing against the Matthews over Carlson. Carlson was eaten alive by that line previously. Additionally, I think he gets a tad bit of credit for moving Willy up in the lineup when he scores 2 and saves another. The caps played extremely well for 40 minutes and had a slow start to the 3rd (largely due to the 5 on 3). The ice was tilted by the leafs, but the waived off goal would've put the game away with 11 minutes to go. Instead, it was waived off, and a blocked clearance off the ref helped create the Matthews chance. From my vantage point there was a lot of puck luck from the Leafs last night, but even still it wasn't that close in terms of how well each team played .

Score adjusted 5on5 Corsi:

By the third period Matthews and co. were skating circles around Orlov-Niskanen and scored to boot. Moving Wilson was smart and you can't really argue with how he capitalized on his new role but at the same time the lines he was rolling couldn't do shit to close out the game and almost blew it.

I thought the Caps killed off that 5-on-3 exceptionally well and the reason I was still optimistic afterwards was they just went completely flat after that kill. When the Leafs killed a 5-on-3 in game 1 they came out flying afterwards.

Re: the no-goal I don't get that either but at the same time I'm not sure why the Leafs didn't challenge earlier in the game when Backstrom was seemingly intertwined with Andersen in the crease so I'm calling it a wash.

Regardless, like I said I don't think there's an argument to be made that the Caps did anything right in the third period after that PK and besides that boneheaded goal given up by the Leafs and play like that wasn't unique to last night.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Randy Carlyle coached team would never gift the other team a goal while in the process of a 4-1 comback in the third period of a first round playoff game.

Just saying Carlyle > Babcock. FACT

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Randy Carlyle coached team would never gift the other team a goal while in the process of a 4-1 comback in the third period of a first round playoff game.

Something marvelous just occurred to me... looking at the general shape of their heads and whatnot I would love to see a good "Dart Randy" photoshop if anyone has the time and inclination

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something marvelous just occurred to me... looking at the general shape of their heads and whatnot I would love to see a good "Dart Randy" photoshop if anyone has the time and inclination

someone already did it
C90gnG4XkAQQ25L

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because a Randy Carlisle team down 4-1 would never mount any sort of comeback?

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A comeback? No. A comback, sure. :D

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the third period Matthews and co. were skating circles around Orlov-Niskanen and scored to boot. Moving Wilson was smart and you can't really argue with how he capitalized on his new role but at the same time the lines he was rolling couldn't do shit to close out the game and almost blew it.

I thought the Caps killed off that 5-on-3 exceptionally well and the reason I was still optimistic afterwards was they just went completely flat after that kill. When the Leafs killed a 5-on-3 in game 1 they came out flying afterwards.

Re: the no-goal I don't get that either but at the same time I'm not sure why the Leafs didn't challenge earlier in the game when Backstrom was seemingly intertwined with Andersen in the crease so I'm calling it a wash.

Regardless, like I said I don't think there's an argument to be made that the Caps did anything right in the third period after that PK and besides that boneheaded goal given up by the Leafs and play like that wasn't unique to last night.

The Matthews goal came on a rare shift against Orpik/Shattenkirk, not Orlov/Niskanen.

They played too conservatively in the 3rd and moved the puck too slowly while in our own zone, but again, they would've had the game put away had the correct call been made on the no goal. (And the Leafs made the decision to not challenge, thats on them. Not to mention its really not a wash either because a no goal call in a 0-0 game in the first 5 minutes is totally different than a no goal call in a 4-2 game with 11 minutes left)

Most telling stat last night for me was the giveaways: 29 for the leafs and 9 for the caps. Some were forced, but many weren't, and led to some high quality scoring chances.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love you guys and your stats. You can find 'em to support your position, regardless of what your position is. :thumb:

Only stat that matters is 5-4.

Oh, and 2-2

Game On !!!

May the best team win !!