• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: First Round: Carolina Hurricanes vs. Washington Capitals

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good God was that ugly. I have no idea what is wrong with the Caps but they are really out of sync. They somehow have lost the ability to hit guys on the tape, passes are too far in front or behind. Still not worried, they are still the champs and are going home. But this needs to change on Saturday.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My fault, guys...all my "favorites" lost last night.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Oshie is out for an extended time, probably the entire playoffs. It was not a dirty player but man that was a dirty play. 2 minutes was kind of hard to understand but the way the Caps are going even 5 would not have been enough. For God's sake score some freaking goals already.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure Caps fans are gonna get an overwhelming amount of sympathy from the rest of the league for a play where a key player was hurt badly yet the play itself was punished too lightly.

Suck for Oshie. Punchable face and all, he's a damn good hockey player.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure Caps fans are gonna get an overwhelming amount of sympathy

I don't see where anyone was asking for sympathy. I think we all agree the wheel of justice is too inconsistent.

Your only comments in Caps' threads are to rag on Caps' fans. It's SUCH a broken record. My god.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed the game last night as I was at an auto dealer buying a car. Let me tell you the difference between watching playoff hockey and spending the evening at a car dealer is a HUGE gap. :(

The highlights and stats made it look like a fairly even game (or tilted a little in the Caps' direction, heat map below), so too bad we couldn't come away with a win. The Hurricanes have played well, I think this is a 50/50 series at this point.

I don't think in the long run there is much chance of a repeat with Kempny injured. Long way to go and all, but Niskanen and Orlov simply have not been as good this year, so losing one of our top two guys on D was just a big blow. Aside from the defense, the secondary scoring is just not there right now. Ovechkin and Backstrom have 5 of the team's 8 goals (with one of those other 3 being an EN). They can't carry the whole team. Seven guys had 20 goals this season, where are they? Where is Kuzy?

It also has to be said letting Trotz go was a big mistake. Reirden has been fine, but Leonsis not figuring out a couple million more (that doesn't impact the cap) to keep Barry here was a bad move. A surprising bad move from an owner that is generally about loyalty and

Maybe those 2nd and 3rd lines will come alive and we'll move on and then who knows. The East is certainly wide open. But this feels like a first or second round exit again. It feels like previous years when OV was dazzling and other guys just weren't stepping up. And losing a top 2 guy on D and a top 5 guy on O would be tough on any squad.

I guess we'll see.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure Caps fans are gonna get an overwhelming amount of sympathy from the rest of the league for a play where a key player was hurt badly yet the play itself was punished too lightly.

Suck for Oshie. Punchable face and all, he's a damn good hockey player.
Oshie's out, probably for the rest of the playoffs. Team's being quiet on what the injury is, though I'm guessing broken arm or broken wrist.

I haven't heard if the NHL reviewed Warren Foegele's boarding call, but he won't be suspended. I can foresee a Tom Wilson fight in the not-so-distant future...

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oshie's out, probably for the rest of the playoffs. Team's being quiet on what the injury is, though I'm guessing broken arm or broken wrist.

Think you are right, the way he was holding it as he skated off

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two weak penalties to start this game