• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First Cuts

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda liked Kourtnei Brown, but he could still be on the practice squad I suppose.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I kinda liked Kourtnei Brown, but he could still be on the practice squad I suppose.

we have another cut of 22 players (75 down to 53), before deciding which eight goes to the PS. i'd think there will be eight (8) qualified players, out of 22?

so not likely any of these players make the PS?

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have another cut of 22 players (75 down to 53), before deciding which eight goes to the PS. i'd think there will be eight (8) qualified players, out of 22?

so not likely any of these players make the PS?

Probably not, like you said another 22

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
wait......the commentators were saying how teams will look hard at our "cuts"? so the initial eight (8) to the PS is no guarantee to stick?

maybe...just maybe one of these guys (first cut) have a chance to join the PS? they just have to wait a little for the dust to settle.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we cut Tyms - he won't last long

That sucks thought he would make it to 2nd cuts at the very least. Question if he clears waivers can we add him to PS now or do we have to wait after 2nd cuts?

Yeah, I liked his size/speed - The moment he clears waivers we can add him to the PS -

Disclaimer: this is from pure memory and from the old CBA:

I don't think the waiver wire opens up until the final cuts and then any team putting in a claim has to add the claimed player to their 53, thus preventing other teams from claiming and stashing.

I would be mildly surprised if anyone adds Tyms to their active roster at this point, so hopin' we get him back. I tend to think Tyms and Slowey were cut now so that we could stash them before other teams could really see take a look around and see what they could steal. Dunno if this is reality but makes sense in my head. :D:D

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wait......the commentators were saying how teams will look hard at our "cuts"? so the initial eight (8) to the PS is no guarantee to stick?

maybe...just maybe one of these guys (first cut) have a chance to join the PS? they just have to wait a little for the dust to settle.

It isn't unlike some savvy GM's to cut early a prospect they hope to reclaim for the practice squad (PS). So, we may have cut Tyms or Slowey with the hope they'll survive waivers and we can reclaim them for the PS.

As for your comment about the "initial eight", there really isn't an initial eight per se. At some deadline this Friday there will be ~1184 FA's available to be claimed off waivers. Most teams will have more than 8 players for which they have submitted claims.

Teams claim FA's based on the previous year’s W/L record - similar to the draft. So as you can see we'll need to put in claims for many more than eight just to get eight.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would be mildly surprised if anyone adds Tyms to their active roster at this point, so hopin' we get him back. I tend to think Tyms and Slowey were cut now so that we could stash them before other teams could really see take a look around and see what they could steal. Dunno if this is reality but makes sense in my head. :D:D

in this first cut of players, this ain't the reason. why? because you have 22 more players to cut. you can't stash players from this group and then add more players to the PS - better players - from the next group.

i understand not all these players (12 + 22) are PS eligible, but think we'll get eight out of the next 22?

also, NFL teams have pro personnel staffs, who track other players. they don't wait for the cuts and then start the research. if a player has shown potential by now, every team knows it.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It does make sense and I just mentioned this in my last post. Yes, some of today's cuts may have been strategic in the sense that today's cuts are supposed to be the worst of the cuts and thus should garner little consideration from other teams. I would not at all put it past Baalke to do something like this.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you can't stash players from this group and then add more players to the PS - better players - from the next group.
why not?

also, NFL teams have pro personnel staffs, who track other players. they don't wait for the cuts and then start the research. if a player has shown potential by now, every team knows it.

Some are better than others and there's limited resources. While they could potentially know about everyone, the chance of really knowing all the prospects is pretty slim. It's a numbers game.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does make sense and I just mentioned this in my last post. Yes, some of today's cuts may have been strategic in the sense that today's cuts are supposed to be the worst of the cuts and thus should garner little consideration from other teams. I would not at all put it past Baalke to do something like this.

But my post was before yours. :D

:fencing:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in this first cut of players, this ain't the reason. why? because you have 22 more players to cut. you can't stash players from this group and then add more players to the PS - better players - from the next group.

i understand not all these players (12 + 22) are PS eligible, but think we'll get eight out of the next 22?

Yes, teams do have scouts but keep in mind many of these players were UDFA's

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But my post was before yours. :D

:fencing:

Haha - Yes it was - Looks like I'll be hoping I get picked up on the 49ers forum practice squad - And I had such potential to! Damn it!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
why not?

Some are better than others and there's limited resources. While they could potentially know about everyone, the chance of really knowing all the prospects is pretty slim. It's a numbers game.

technically you could add back players from this first cut, but really, is that something YOU'D do? how do you know if a player has REAL potential if he hasn't played in pre-season? would you stash a player you haven't seen other than in practices?

for example, would you really cut Bahktieri who showed well in pre-season, over Kourtnei Brown......because you're hiding Brown?

yes, it is exactly a numbers game and why IMO, this ain't the reason. there are STILL 22 more players to cut.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
technically you could add back players from this first cut, but really, is that something YOU'D do? how do you know if a player has REAL potential if he hasn't played in pre-season? would you stash a player you haven't seen other than in practices?

If I'm Jim "loose lips sink ships" Harbaugh, yes.

for example, would you really cut Bahktieri who showed well in pre-season, over Kourtnei Brown......because you're hiding Brown?

what? that's not what I said.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

for example, would you really cut Bahktieri who showed well in pre-season, over Kourtnei Brown......because you're hiding Bahktieri?

I think that is what Deep meant

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for example, would you really cut Bahktieri who showed well in pre-season, over Kourtnei Brown......because you're hiding Bahktieri?

I think that is what Deep meant

I truly never know with Deep.

But in that situation, then yes, if I didn't want to keep Bakman on the 53 and I thought I had a better chance sneaking him through to the PS earlier than later, I would.

Would you really send you starting LT out for a pass?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the Jackson Trade I expected Young to be out

They must have worried about someone else signing TJack (but not trading for him) because everyone knew he was going to get cut. They can't keep Flynn on the bench with starter's money and Jackson with high backup money, could they? Doesn't seem they could renegotiate a lower amount than they could have signed him as a free agent, right? There would have to be another team, the Bills were impatient, or the late round pick was basically nothing.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont have a llama, but I do know what happened at John Fox's House after that game yesterday. He said, "I cant believe I called an onside Kick then Vernon Davis goes deep and uncovered for a TD. I am so Mad at myself, where is my sheep." John Elway came in and said, "Here it is John."

:hdn:

Just a little something to brighten the mood for cut day, Have a great day everyone.

Wow, you have the John Fox voice impression down to a T.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I truly never know with Deep.

But in that situation, then yes, if I didn't want to keep Bakman on the 53 and I thought I had a better chance sneaking him through to the PS earlier than later, I would.

Would you really send you starting LT out for a pass?

no, its my bad for using a bad example. Bhatieri isn't PS eligible so i should've used other players.

anyways, didn't mean to make it 'argumentive', its just opinions.