• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Finding heir apparent to JSmith = hardest task

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
For the long-term success of the 49ers, the hardest challenge the Niners are going to have to face is finding a DE like Justin Smith. Those kinds of players usually get franchised, and they usually don't last past the first 15 picks of the draft (the obvious ones don't at least).

I really hope he has a couple of good seasons left in him. If a guy who could be a dominant RDE in his prime comes along, that should take precedent over just about anything else.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think now with so many picks we can afford to trade up if there is that type of player available early on.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo we need a stud NT to replace smith

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the long-term success of the 49ers, the hardest challenge the Niners are going to have to face is finding a DE like Justin Smith. Those kinds of players usually get franchised, and they usually don't last past the first 15 picks of the draft (the obvious ones don't at least).

I really hope he has a couple of good seasons left in him. If a guy who could be a dominant RDE in his prime comes along, that should take precedent over just about anything else.

This is what I've been saying since last year. That's our top priority IMO. I'm just not sure I see a guy like that this year. I do however have more confidence in the FO to find that replacement for Justin Smith. I'm sure they are looking at it as a high priority. They're too smart not to be.

We could also do with a solid NT and a Darell Revis or Sean Smith. All though I'm not sure I'm ready to advocate going after Revis. I like the draft picks we have this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree with the idea that we can't find that guy unless he is in the top 15. I think we are in the enviable position of being able to do what the Steelers and Ravens have been doing for years, which is pick projects at skill positions and allow them time to learn their craft. When Aaron Smith went down, Keisel picked up seamlessly, having been groomed for the position for almost 4 yrs before becoming a full time starter. We need to find a guy that is relatively raw with measurables and a motor. Hard to find? Maybe, but teams have to ask themselves if they are willing to take the time to develop a player or if they NEED impact immediately. Most teams in the NFL NEED rather then develop, which is why guys like Keisel and Krueger still exist for teams like the Steelers and Ravens.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I disagree with the idea that we can't find that guy unless he is in the top 15.

That is true. They can. But they're not gonna find a guy who's an obvious stud on the DL past 15. They'd need a little luck.

It would be great to find an Aaron Smith (one of the best draft picks ever) or a Keisel. That'd be tough. I don't see a lot of potential DEs past the first round I like very much in this draft. Sheldon Richardson is one, but he'll be gone in the top 10 IMO. Hankins is one, but he's really more of a NT IMO. Margus Hunt obviously has loads of potential, but that's a long shot.

Datone Jones maybe.

...this is why I want the Niners to sign Richard Seymour.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on the Hunt bandwagon (as long as we are drafting him towards the middle/end of the 3rd) as a guy that can be groomed over time to take over at DE. He has all the measurables and the only question I would have is if he has some sense of a JSmith like motor. If so, we don't need him to start, he could redshirt and work with Tomsula, get on the same program as Ray and JS and learn.

I love Hankins as our 1st pick as a guy that can solidify our NT position, but that is with the caveat that a) Baalke doesn't like what he sees out of Brandon Williams as a mid round NT prospect and b) Baalke goes after a CB in FA.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sick, if Richardson is still there at 10, would you trade our 1st, and both 2nds to move up 20 spots to get him?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
People have been talking about Margus Hunt's athletic ability all season, but aside from his 40 & bench press, he really didn't have the kind of legendary combine people thought he would. He had good (not great) jump numbers, but his agility numbers weren't amazing.

And his bench press is less impressive considering he has short arms for a guy his height.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sick, if Richardson is still there at 10, would you trade our 1st, and both 2nds to move up 20 spots to get him?

No, because I think Jonathan Hankins is a better player than he, and Hankins can be had later down.

If some GM got smart and took Hankins in the top 5, I still don't think I'd give up that much for Richardson. I'd stay put & take maybe Hunter or Jonathan Jenkins or maybe trade up (slightly) for Eifert.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. I wouldn't either but I certainly wouldn't trade up to get either Eifert or Ertz as we already have our starting TE. TE is a position that doesn't need a 1st rd pick to be easily filled, especially for what amounts to a backup TE. Walker was great and all, but Celek has some skills and the kind of player we would be looking to fill Walker's shoes could conceivably be drafted in the later rounds. Hell, Walker himself was drafted in the 6th.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I am driving the Datone Jones bandwagon.. I think he can become the heir apparant to Justin Smith.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's trade some of these draft picks for JJ Watt...
In all seriousness though, I don't like Sheldon Richardson and I'm from Missouri. The kid is too immature, and well VERY dumb. He's a me first kind of guy also, not the kind of guy I would want on my team. I could definitely see him with some disciplinary problems in the future.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Let's trade some of these draft picks for JJ Watt...
In all seriousness though, I don't like Sheldon Richardson and I'm from Missouri. The kid is too immature, and well VERY dumb. He's a me first kind of guy also, not the kind of guy I would want on my team. I could definitely see him with some disciplinary problems in the future.

I think it may be something where we lean on Aldon Smith for some intimate knowledge on Richardson since they both went to Mizzou at the same time

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it may be something where we lean on Aldon Smith for some intimate knowledge on Richardson since they both went to Mizzou at the same time
They didn't play at the same time. 2010 was Aldon's last year at MU. Sheldon didn't come to MU until 2011 because he couldn't keep his grades up so he went to two year community college out of high school.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sheldon is actually older than Aldon by about 10 months also. He's already 24, maybe something to keep in mind.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well this is where your GM, department, and coaches really earn their pay.

It's easy to draft in the top 10 and I could probably sit there and do it and be relatively successful at it just by looking at some mock drafts.

The challenge comes in finding that right raw talent and having the coaches refine it and turn it into something special. Teams that stay good year in and year out are good at finding players like that.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well this is where your GM, department, and coaches really earn their pay.

It's easy to draft in the top 10 and I could probably sit there and do it and be relatively successful at it just by looking at some mock drafts.

The challenge comes in finding that right raw talent and having the coaches refine it and turn it into something special. Teams that stay good year in and year out are good at finding players like that.

yep, good teams draft late year in and year out, so need to be better talent evaluators. so Baalke has a little more pressure beginning last draft, comes with the territory.

even now with so many picks, flexibility helps but doesn't guarentee anything?

if he can't get trading partners, he could theoretically draft 15 prospects.