• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Final Mock Draft- 2022- NO TRADES EDITION.

Zwalt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,173.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brad Holmes is a thief, a menace, and a swindler. He’s robbed the Vikings blind with this trade to move back up to the 12th-overall pick. Here are the official terms of the trade, per the team:

Lions get: Pick 12, Pick 46 (second round)
Vikings get: Pick 32, Pick 34 (second round), Pick 66 (third round)

I had a hunch at first sight that it was a good deal, so I did some digging. According to the Rich Hill Draft Value model—the most modern chart to date—the Lions gave up 435 points of value and gained 475 points of value. In other words, they gained 40 points of value by making this trade with the Vikings. For those wondering, according to the chart, the Lions gained the equivalent of the 95th overall pick—a late third-round pick.

All that resulted in the Lions getting arguably the most talented receiver in the draft in Jameson Williams. Had it not been for a torn ACL, Williams likely would’ve been one of the first names off the board Thursday night. I said on the Pride of Detroit live stream a half hour prior to the trade that whatever team gets Williams will have a really good player in six months when he’s healthy. Lucky for us, that team is the Detroit Lions.

The challenge is, the draft value charts are going to be off when you have a draft like this one, where the top end is lean an there are no QBs worth taking. I still hate this trade, WR is the most over-rated position in the first round and a ton of teams bought into it. Sadly the Lions were one of them.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, this draft was considered strong in middle of 1st round throughout all of 2nd round and all these teams trading away players or simply moving up from early 2nd round back into late 1st round.

Heavy action in the trade department for 1st round that I can ever recall. The 1st round trades must've set a record tonight.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The challenge is, the draft value charts are going to be off when you have a draft like this one, where the top end is lean an there are no QBs worth taking. I still hate this trade, WR is the most over-rated position in the first round and a ton of teams bought into it. Sadly the Lions were one of them.

As a whole, drafted top 10 WR don't usually equal their drafted value. It's been better last 3 years or so, but historically there are numerous misses.
I love the player.
I hate the picks given up as far as where they were slotted.
Defensive players aligned extremely well at every slot. No.32, No.34 and No.66
They'll be a huge break between No.46 and next pick No.97 and again on Saturday unless Holmes somehow gains more picks tomorrow from No.46.

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a real shot that we could have gotten at least 1 of Dean, Hill, booth Jr, Willis, Ojabo, Gordon or Skyy Moore. We needed those picks more than a wr with a bum leg

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brad Holmes is a thief, a menace, and a swindler. He’s robbed the Vikings blind with this trade to move back up to the 12th-overall pick. Here are the official terms of the trade, per the team:

Lions get: Pick 12, Pick 46 (second round)
Vikings get: Pick 32, Pick 34 (second round), Pick 66 (third round)

I had a hunch at first sight that it was a good deal, so I did some digging. According to the Rich Hill Draft Value model—the most modern chart to date—the Lions gave up 435 points of value and gained 475 points of value. In other words, they gained 40 points of value by making this trade with the Vikings. For those wondering, according to the chart, the Lions gained the equivalent of the 95th overall pick—a late third-round pick.

All that resulted in the Lions getting arguably the most talented receiver in the draft in Jameson Williams. Had it not been for a torn ACL, Williams likely would’ve been one of the first names off the board Thursday night. I said on the Pride of Detroit live stream a half hour prior to the trade that whatever team gets Williams will have a really good player in six months when he’s healthy. Lucky for us, that team is the Detroit Lions.

Well, if you can trade up and screw the other team, that's alright.

1651202525168.png

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a real shot that we could have gotten at least 1 of Dean, Hill, booth Jr, Willis, Ojabo, Gordon or Skyy Moore. We needed those picks more than a wr with a bum leg

It's more difficult for a player like Ojabo to come back from an Achilles tear than it is for a WR with an ACL, but I understand your points and agree.
We could quibble regarding players still likely available and who actually Holmes would've drafted. I was merely hoping the first 4 picks would've been spent on the defensive side.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if you can trade up and screw the other team, that's alright.

View attachment 295141

And versus your division foe. We'll see how all 5 of these picks turn out for their respective teams in 3 years unless Vikings screw up again.
Minnesota already released their 2020 and 31st overall pick prior to 2021 season for an off-field issue. CB Jeff Gladney it was.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thursday night. Only.

No.2 DE Aidan Hutchinson
No.32 S Lewis Cine

Call it a night until Friday night

Correctly chosen players at their draft slot, but only one player ends up as a Lion.
Cine is drafted by Vikings at our original No.32 overall draft slot.

Yes, I'm giving myself an atta boy because I know if @RobBase had chosen these two players at their precise drafted slot, he would've done the same. At least that's "my excuse". :D

Playin' 50/50 ball

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of off the cuff predictions for tonight's draft

Kyle Hamilton doesn't get drafted in TOP 12

George Karlaftis isn't drafted in round 1 - despite all the media predicting him to be drafted in round 1

almost.
3 slots short on Karlaftuis

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the trade up. We got way better value for it than what I was willing to pay. Personally I would have taken Hamilton and walked away from the draft with 2 of the 3 or 4 best players in the entire draft on my defense. But looking at it from the long term, Goff is not the answer and they don't expect to compete next year. Having another quality WR and one who takes the top off the defense will make whichever QB we draft next year much happier than anything else we could do.

Next season we're probably looking at a top 5 pick, but have another first to add value if we need to mice up. But we should have a complete solid O-Line, an above average TE, a pass catching RB and now possibly an actual WR corps. That's a good situation. To bring a rookie QB into. Plus the QB's coming next year look infinitely better than the exceptionally bad class this year. I can get behind Williams being the long play.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the trade up. We got way better value for it than what I was willing to pay. Personally I would have taken Hamilton and walked away from the draft with 2 of the 3 or 4 best players in the entire draft on my defense. But looking at it from the long term, Goff is not the answer and they don't expect to compete next year. Having another quality WR and one who takes the top off the defense will make whichever QB we draft next year much happier than anything else we could do.

Next season we're probably looking at a top 5 pick, but have another first to add value if we need to mice up. But we should have a complete solid O-Line, an above average TE, a pass catching RB and now possibly an actual WR corps. That's a good situation. To bring a rookie QB into. Plus the QB's coming next year look infinitely better than the exceptionally bad class this year. I can get behind Williams being the long play.

I understand the points you've addressed regarding J Will and what type of an affect he can have with the offense. Goff did better when he had Brandin Cooks and maybe this is Holmes' answer to that. Like you, I don't see Goff being that QB to enhance what J Will brings to the field.

There's no telling where the Lions will be drafting next year but off-hand OSU WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba comes to mind and then you're not using a 2022 TOP 12 pick (not to mention losing No.66 plus dropping 12 spots from No.34) on a WR who may very well start out on PUP. I'd rather Holmes had waited to address the offense already skill positions until 2023 and save that year, but Goff is his guy.

There were many avenues Holmes could have gone maintaining those picks that would've addressed this hapless defense, but the NFL is a passing league. You've got outscore your opponent and at the same time reduce the number of points given up. It's a catch twenty-two scenario.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news and facts.
Looks good on paper if you have the right QB to get your new shiny bauble the ball and his skillset transitions to the NFL.

Last year, the Lions finished with just five passing plays of over 40+ yards—the lowest mark in the league. Williams is a big-play factory:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After having watched Jameson this past year, I have no doubt he has displayed toughness and competitiveness to excel. He's a hammer on ST and numerous times put the hurt on an opponent and against SEC players. He's fearless and that it worrisome to watch at times.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What position(s) will Holmes address on day 2?

Which player(s) are you hopeful that Holmes drafts?

Linebacker​

1. Nakobe Dean
2. Chad Muma
3. Leo Chenal
4. Christian Harris
5. Channing Tindall
6. Troy Andersen
7. Damone Clark
8. Brian Asamoah

Safety​

1. Jaquan Brisker
2. Jalen Pitre
3. Kerby Joseph
4. Bryan Cook
5. Nick Cross

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willing to walk the plank by merely guessing that Holmes drafts LSU LB Damone Clark and not in the 2nd round. Should Holmes retain No.97, I could possibly see him drafting Clark at that slot as it'll depend on who remains available for the LB position.

I wouldn't be able to take that type of risk/gamble.